Mercury Prize 2024

Ben7amin_

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yes, but also in an era where listening to a whole album in one go just doesn't happen.

Nothing is stopping YOU choosing one of those albums and listening it in full. 

Dont worry about what other people are doing.

Edited by Ben7amin_

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

They dont know what streaming is. Theyre just on Radio 1.

Arghhh... if it wasnt obvious it slightly triggers me when people act like it its impossible for them to try listening to new music. Double when it's in association with a Glastonbury group.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Not from London so automatically out

It's been 10 years since we had a winner not from London, so maybe this year will be the turning point. 

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's been 10 years since we had a winner not from London, so maybe this year will be the turning point. 

I make it 4 out of 12 acts this year from  London so should be more likely to be a non London act....

55 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I make it 4 out of 12 acts this year from  London so should be more likely to be a non London act....

Rooting for Nia just to even it out!

We could call it levelling up 🙂 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 5:18 PM, Olshansky said:

Rooting for CMAT and Beth Gibbons. 
Charli is indeed the obvs choice.  

just hoping they dont give it to Last Dinner Party 

Just gutted there's no actual event. If there was it would have to be CMAT for the win just for the speech she would do.

• Like 1

Corinne for me. Such a great album and a sign of what an artist can do when set free from a major label. True to herself and her vision and supremely talented.

Lynks and (i agree) big special have been overlooked for a nom

Most of them arent really up my street. I want to like english teacher but find them a bit dull. TLDP are you joking, cant stand the priviledge. Charli not for me at all. Cant really get on with Cmat even after seeing her at deer shed.

Not listened to them all, but of the 8 I have, for me it's Corinne Bailey-Ray.  She's always been a supremely talented writer and performer and with the shackles off has come up with an album that it is utterly sublime, if you haven't listened to Black Rainbows through in full then I'd strongly recommend it.  But she's from Leeds, so won't win.

Really hope TLDP don't win.  Massively over-hyped IMO.  Even Nothing Matters is bang average at best.

Agree that Charli XCX is probably favourite.

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:50 AM, Ben7amin_ said:

Arghhh... if it wasnt obvious it slightly triggers me when people act like it its impossible for them to try listening to new music. Double when it's in association with a Glastonbury group.

Had this conversation with a few people, and it is a little frustrating.  "There's no music out now that I like" - are you sure? Or is just that it's not the Radio 1 / charts zeitgeist so it's not being spoon fed to you? There's so much out there, but yeah the nature of modern music creation and distribution means you might have to go digging a bit.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

Had this conversation with a few people, and it is a little frustrating.  "There's no music out now that I like" - are you sure? Or is just that it's not the Radio 1 / charts zeitgeist so it's not being spoon fed to you? There's so much out there, but yeah the nature of modern music creation and distribution means you might have to go digging a bit.

I know you're being flippant, but I actually think Radio 1 do an alright job at placing some decent, 'music circles' stuff on their playlist. The issue is that it's nearly entirely a ratio of 20/80, with the 80 being 'absolute w*nk'. 

This week's A/B/C lists have songs from Fontaines DC, Clairo, The Last Dinner Party (jest all you want, but they're better than most tosh), Jamie XX, Amyl and the Sniffers, Cat Burns, and James Blake (plus very critically well received stuff like Charli and Billie, but they're obviously mainstream pop, so it's fairly expected).

It isn't 6Music, but it is much better than it could be. Capital is the absolute pits, mind.

15 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

I know you're being flippant, but I actually think Radio 1 do an alright job at placing some decent, 'music circles' stuff on their playlist. The issue is that it's nearly entirely a ratio of 20/80, with the 80 being 'absolute w*nk'. 

This week's A/B/C lists have songs from Fontaines DC, Clairo, The Last Dinner Party (jest all you want, but they're better than most tosh), Jamie XX, Amyl and the Sniffers, Cat Burns, and James Blake (plus very critically well received stuff like Charli and Billie, but they're obviously mainstream pop, so it's fairly expected).

It isn't 6Music, but it is much better than it could be. Capital is the absolute pits, mind.

Agreed, but I think that's the problem with something like R1. The 80/20 means there's a strong chance you can turn it on and listen for a while and hear nothing that tickles your pickle, so you kinda give up.

I think the reality is somewhere in between, where if you look down the playlists then yep you'll find some good stuff, but if you just listen to live radio then you might struggle.

On 7/30/2024 at 10:23 PM, Memory Man said:

Corinne for me. Such a great album and a sign of what an artist can do when set free from a major label. True to herself and her vision and supremely talented.

Lynks and (i agree) big special have been overlooked for a nom

Most of them arent really up my street. I want to like english teacher but find them a bit dull. TLDP are you joking, cant stand the priviledge. Charli not for me at all. Cant really get on with Cmat even after seeing her at deer shed.

I was also at Deer Shed. Great little festival! I enjoyed CMAT, but can't see me listening to her now the festival is over.

• 4 weeks later...