The Olympic Games

MilkyJoe

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ah well, that's that for another 4 years - seems to have gone by in a flash! Really enjoyed it. 

Just the closing ceremony to come. 

Let's hope they've got some Greek gods, seeing trumpian meltdowns over that was pretty funny

3 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ah well, that's that for another 4 years - seems to have gone by in a flash! Really enjoyed it. 

Just the closing ceremony to come. 

I would suggest keep this thread in reserve to be revived for LA in 4 years assuming we're still around, but I'd suggest this could still work as a place to discuss the Paralympics and the fact some of their sports are genuinely good fun to watch.

That and there's also a Winter Olympics in Italy in a year and a half from now.

20 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I would suggest keep this thread in reserve to be revived for LA in 4 years assuming we're still around, but I'd suggest this could still work as a place to discuss the Paralympics and the fact some of their sports are genuinely good fun to watch.

That and there's also a Winter Olympics in Italy in a year and a half from now.

I'll probably only dip in and out of the Paralympics as I'll be away at End of the Road festival for much of it.

Who knows if I'll still be around for LA, but I can pretty much guarantee I won't enjoy it as much as Paris - I hate all that Hollywood razzmatazz & that 'USA, USA' chant will seriously piss me off!

5 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'll probably only dip in and out of the Paralympics as I'll be away at End of the Road festival for much of it.

Who knows if I'll still be around for LA, but I can pretty much guarantee I won't enjoy it as much as Paris - I hate all that Hollywood razzmatazz & that 'USA, USA' chant will seriously piss me off!

Plus most of it will be on in the middle of the night 

I've missed a fair bit of the last couple of days as I've been travelling but I can say it's been fantastic and I'm really looking forward to the Paralympics at the end of the month. Channel 4 stream these so I'm not sure how much coverage we will get but hopefully they'll have at least a couple of channels.

23 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Have seen the American high jumper get some criticism online for not wanting to share a gold (not sure the NZ guy did either) and saying he got what he deserved. To me the Rio sharing seemed a one off and rules are in place to produce a winner which I think is the ideal scenario.

Ideally sharing of medals should never happen because it's all about being the best Olympian. Last person standing and all that. 

However saying that I think there should always be a system in place. Amber Rutter is a case in point. She won a silver medal in the Skeet Shooting after missing a target that replays show was actually hit on the edge. Unfortunately I believe there is no appeals process in the Skeet so it was never going to be looked at properly. Robbed would be an appropriate phrase here though.

52 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Ideally sharing of medals should never happen because it's all about being the best Olympian. Last person standing and all that. 

However saying that I think there should always be a system in place. Amber Rutter is a case in point. She won a silver medal in the Skeet Shooting after missing a target that replays show was actually hit on the edge. Unfortunately I believe there is no appeals process in the Skeet so it was never going to be looked at properly. Robbed would be an appropriate phrase here though.

or Human Error as that is what it was. A human missed the slight hit and without VAR that was the decision.

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

I don’t agree in the shooting as we then set a precedent that all kinds of sports are replayed. It’s for the individual sports to decide how they use technology.

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

or Human Error as that is what it was. A human missed the slight hit and without VAR that was the decision.

It just seems a bit unfair though. She effectively trained for 8 years for these Olympics, (she missed Tokyo due to Covid) should something like that decision come down to human error?

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t agree in the shooting as we then set a precedent that all kinds of sports are replayed. It’s for the individual sports to decide how they use technology.

I agree that too much reliance on VAR is generally not a good thing but the fact still remains that it was a hit and in this case the technology let her down which must have been gutting to say the least.

At the very least I would hope the available technology is looked at and improved for next time.

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

It just seems a bit unfair though. She effectively trained for 8 years for these Olympics, (she missed Tokyo due to Covid) should something like that decision come down to human error?

Loads of sports still rely on humans to judge - boxing for example.

It does seem unfair but I am sure there were others who had unfair decisions in the same event that we do not know about cos they are not from the UK.

One day we will let AI judge everything - and then complain when decisions it makes go against our side.