What are your favourite activities at Eotr?

BluesManP

So putting aside all the entertainment watching, what are things you have done at Eotr in the past that you enjoyed?

Also, does anyone know of any chill tents with cushions where you can just relax without having to do yoga/meditation/etc?

Also, is there an actual piano at the piano stage?

Edited by BluesManP

1 hour ago, BluesManP said:

So putting aside all the entertainment watching, what are things you have done at Eotr in the past that you enjoyed?

Also, does anyone know of any chill tents with cushions where you can just relax without having to do yoga/meditation/etc?

Also, is there an actual piano at the piano stage?

There's actually very little seating space at EOTR bad the benches in the food area.

My favourite non band things to do

- Take in a cult film at like 2am in the cinema

-Sit by the fire, edging closer every time someone leaves

-Wander around the woods

- Have an ice cream

-Plan my next meal whilst eating my current one

-Work my way through the beer list at the campfire bar 

• Like 1

Yes there is a piano at the piano stage, and occasionally "random punters" tickle the ivories aside from the "stars"

But aside from the seating within the shopping/eating area there are few other seats around, and in not aware of a "chill out area" (and I'm a 16 time veteran) 

Sitting by the fire is the right answer. 

Simply wandering around in a bit of a daze is in itself the 'zen' part of the festival for me.

I remember a few years ago on Sunday when everything is naturally a bit quieter stumbling on a bar late in the evening (I think next to the boat) which was happy to give us tequila shots. There was a Lynchian vibe about the woods which was part zen, part 'other'.

If you are desperate for a comfortable seat, you can get a cocktail at the tent to the right of the back entrance (next to tipi), they aren't cheap mind!

Our favourite chilling spots are normally the piano stage, the hay bales/log near the boat stage. Or just on the grass at the woods stage.

We like to do at least one of the arts-and-crafts things each year. Sending mail with the postal service is fun. I've always wanted to partake in the movie making thing, maybe this will be our year 😄 If you haven't done the inflatable planetarium, that was a nice chill one-off activity.

• Like 1

Sending a slightly menacing, anonymous message to one of your group via the Postal Service thing so that it arrives just as they shuffle out of their tent in the depths of hungover paranoia. A uniformed, semi-official looking postie strolling over to hand them an unsigned message in block caps that just says 'You should be ashamed of yourself'.

I can't claim credit, but the single best thing that's happened in 10 EOTRs

• Upvote 4

There's LOTS of random stuff out in the woods that's fun to play with after dark. There's the whole games zone - giant jenga, table tennis, etc; there was a brilliant, large, shadow theatre for a couple of years; I remember one year there was a shower cubicle karoake that was really out of the way! Some odd buskers out there after nightfall too, quite often

On 8/2/2024 at 9:03 AM, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

the piano stage is actually a lovely place to chill out, you’d need to bring your own cushions though

Sounds ideal! I will add a cushion or two to my list. A zen chill out place doesn’t need to be a tent, just a relaxing place with no loud noises

On 8/2/2024 at 11:33 AM, goldengirl said:

If you are desperate for a comfortable seat, you can get a cocktail at the tent to the right of the back entrance (next to tipi), they aren't cheap mind!

Our favourite chilling spots are normally the piano stage, the hay bales/log near the boat stage. Or just on the grass at the woods stage.

We like to do at least one of the arts-and-crafts things each year. Sending mail with the postal service is fun. I've always wanted to partake in the movie making thing, maybe this will be our year 😄 If you haven't done the inflatable planetarium, that was a nice chill one-off activity.

I’m not after a comfortable seat but more after a chill zen place. It’s kinda hard to describe but I can bright my own sitting if needed but I am after a relaxing peaceful place with no loud noises and with some zen like folks. If you been to Glasto, think the top of the hill on the sunrise, if you been to SGP think about the musical tree tent . Just looking for a vibe really 

2 hours ago, carwynnen said:

There's LOTS of random stuff out in the woods that's fun to play with after dark. There's the whole games zone - giant jenga, table tennis, etc; there was a brilliant, large, shadow theatre for a couple of years; I remember one year there was a shower cubicle karoake that was really out of the way! Some odd buskers out there after nightfall too, quite often

Sounds great. I am after offbeat unofficial stuff. Could you tell me more about the shadow theatre, giant jerga and the mysterious buskers?

14 hours ago, Mardy said:

Has nobody mention Ringo Music Bingo yet? Always a great silly hour of fun, Ronan is the shambolic, endearing heart and soul of the festival.

Regrettably, last year they put him on at the same time as decent music rather than earlier in the day/late morning 

On 8/7/2024 at 3:27 PM, BluesManP said:

Sounds great. I am after offbeat unofficial stuff. Could you tell me more about the shadow theatre, giant jerga and the mysterious buskers?

There's just lots of stuff in the woods to play with, lovely after dark. None of it, obviously but it's worth saying, is paid for. Basically, there's a little network of paths (some of which are dead ends) which lead from the side of the Garden Stage over towards the Boat Stage, and this is where the late-night fun is (and it's beautiful during the day, too, but it's all fairy-lit at night); most of it is unmapped and presented without comment, so you almost have to work out what it is!

The first time I encountered the karaoke shower I had no idea what it was, tapping the shower head and noticed it had some mike capacity, turned the dial on the shower, and before I knew it, I was singing 'Under Pressure' to about 7 French people...

Ditto the shadow puppet theatre. It was just there, in a side clearing, no signage, and really quite big as well!

Things come and go out there, but there's always art installations... a few years, there was a garden shed disco out there, could fit about six people...

As for buskers: I remember being entranced one year coming across a couple playing 'The King of Carrot Flowers' by Neutral Milk Hotel in some clearing and it was just lovely. Naturally, even late at night, people congregate at the Piano Stage, where entertainment can range from some really pissed guy drunkenly mashing the keys - to Patti Smith, who did a secret set there one year (and Line of Best Fit usually put on nine or ten secret sets during the fest from artists elsewhere on the bill). But you also get really talented festival attendees knocking out mini-sets, jazz singers, pianists, banjo players, blah ...

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2024 at 3:27 PM, BluesManP said:

The games zone is usually, I think, mapped, and is over near the Boat. Giant jenga, table tennis, usually a few more odd games. Even sometimes a very small DJ set-up. There's also a woodland library, usually ... and some of the art installations are interactive. Basically, go to the woods for fun after 11pm!

On 8/7/2024 at 1:14 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

That's been there for years, it's in the Boat area and starts up at night. I saw some footage last year of Panic Shack taking part, which I guess counts as a secret set.

I mean a very hidden shower cubicle in the woods, rather than the little karaoke compound (which is also great fun!)

On 8/9/2024 at 10:24 AM, carwynnen said:

There's just lots of stuff in the woods to play with, lovely after dark. None of it, obviously but it's worth saying, is paid for. Basically, there's a little network of paths (some of which are dead ends) which lead from the side of the Garden Stage over towards the Boat Stage, and this is where the late-night fun is (and it's beautiful during the day, too, but it's all fairy-lit at night); most of it is unmapped and presented without comment, so you almost have to work out what it is!

The first time I encountered the karaoke shower I had no idea what it was, tapping the shower head and noticed it had some mike capacity, turned the dial on the shower, and before I knew it, I was singing 'Under Pressure' to about 7 French people...

Ditto the shadow puppet theatre. It was just there, in a side clearing, no signage, and really quite big as well!

Things come and go out there, but there's always art installations... a few years, there was a garden shed disco out there, could fit about six people...

As for buskers: I remember being entranced one year coming across a couple playing 'The King of Carrot Flowers' by Neutral Milk Hotel in some clearing and it was just lovely. Naturally, even late at night, people congregate at the Piano Stage, where entertainment can range from some really pissed guy drunkenly mashing the keys - to Patti Smith, who did a secret set there one year (and Line of Best Fit usually put on nine or ten secret sets during the fest from artists elsewhere on the bill). But you also get really talented festival attendees knocking out mini-sets, jazz singers, pianists, banjo players, blah ...

This is amazing!

• 3 weeks later...