A30 junction closure on Thursday of BD

ShuMart

This has been taken from the BD website 

NEW FOR 2024 – there was be a CLOSURE at the A30 Off-Slip at Patteson’s Cross during the peak arrival times on Thursday 15 August. You must exit at either Daisymout or Iron Bridge. This will mean that no traffic comes off the A30 at this location allowing the queues to be properly managed into the festival site. The closure will be lifted as soon as possible
once the peak of traffic has subsided.

https://www.beautifuldays.org/information/travel/

Normally I'm naughty, ignore all the signs and get off at Patterson cross avoiding the queues. No cheating this year!

42 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Is this likely to cause much more of a queue to get on site?

I should be arriving at around 4pm on the Thursday...

Should be clear by that sort of time 

• Thanks 1

Hmm.. does this mean that the festival buses from Exeter on Thursday afternoon, which follow the Red Route, are now going to get caught up in the traffic heading for the blue gate (yellow car parks) instead of, as normally happens, exiting the A30 at Patteson's Cross and doubling back along the B3177? This could add hours for those travelling by bus; or is my mapping reading dodgy? Maybe, buses will be allowed off at Patteson's Cross?

See you next week! 

4 hours ago, drkevinb said:

Hmm.. does this mean that the festival buses from Exeter on Thursday afternoon, which follow the Red Route, are now going to get caught up in the traffic heading for the blue gate (yellow car parks) instead of, as normally happens, exiting the A30 at Patteson's Cross and doubling back along the B3177? This could add hours for those travelling by bus; or is my mapping reading dodgy? Maybe, buses will be allowed off at Patteson's Cross?

See you next week! 

We'll have to wait n see I guess, but I doubt very much that the bus company would allow that to happen. They'll want the busses to have a clear run at it 

I've only followed the signs once at peak time (usually aim to get there between 12:00 & 14:00) and it added roughly 2hrs to the queue time vs coming off at Patterson's cross, but this was coming from Exeter side. I've noticed some people on the Beautiful days Facebook group chat drive past site to Honiton turn round and join the queue from that side. Looking at the roads it looks better, anyone tried this? was it any quicker?

23 hours ago, ShuMart said:

I've only followed the signs once at peak time (usually aim to get there between 12:00 & 14:00) and it added roughly 2hrs to the queue time vs coming off at Patterson's cross, but this was coming from Exeter side. I've noticed some people on the Beautiful days Facebook group chat drive past site to Honiton turn round and join the queue from that side. Looking at the roads it looks better, anyone tried this? was it any quicker?

Every time I've come down the A30 from Honiton and used the Iron Bridge route.  It's always been...fine.  Yeah it's slow moving, but never found it to be a jam. Maybe after years of sitting on the A303 to Glastonbury I kinda see the BDs entry queue as nothing to stress about 😂

50 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Nothing about it being closed Wed as well for Oxfam arrivals?

Didn't see anything, maybe contact them, but it's not far out your way if it is closed on Wednesday. Especially without the associated queues of Thursday 

Looks like no exit going eastward at Iron Bridge - so if you skipped (/missed) Daisymount and thought it was as quick to double back at the next junction you're actually going pretty much all the way to Honiton before you can turn round again.  Am I looking at that right?  Has anyone tried arriving via Ottery St Mary?

I came in via Honiton and seen lots of people going to Honiton to turn round. Due to the junction layout at the site, as you turn off the main road into site it looks like Honiton side is the better option. From that side the traffic has priority and the Exeter side traffic relies on the Honiton side letting them into the queue. It all works if everyone lets somebody in but that definitely not what I seen. As I was coming down the M5, I got off at Cullompton and took the A road to Honiton and time wise it was no different.

I aimed to get to get to site at 11:45, I was pitched at the caravan field by 12:30.

Ill do that route again next year