Smaller UK festivals

Shunned the bigger options this summer and went to 2000 Trees and Secret Garden Party instead

Loved both of them, smaller independent feel and a great vibe about both

Thinking about next summer now and wondering if there are similar festivals out there? 

Would like a to do a couple again with one being more band/music focused and the other about the experience

any suggestions?

It depends what you're in to musically, and to an extent what you consider small. But as a starting point I'd take a look at these  to see if any interest you. All are below 20k and well regarded independents.

Bearded Theory

Beat Herder

Deer Shed

El Dorado (if they're able to come back after cancelling this year)

Shambala

I'm pretty sure some of these won't be what you want. But some probably will.

1 minute ago, incident said:

It depends what you're in to musically, and to an extent what you consider small. But as a starting point I'd take a look at these  to see if any interest you. All are below 20k and well regarded independents.

Bearded Theory

Beat Herder

Deer Shed

El Dorado (if they're able to come back after cancelling this year)

Shambala

I'm pretty sure some of these won't be what you want. But some probably will.

cheers mate, been to beat hearder a few times, another little jewel

Will check the others out...

I recommend Brighten the Corners in Ipswich. It is an urban multi-venue festival rather than a camping one but nothing to stop you booking into a hotel to do both days. Proper independent and a cracking lineup, very much a showcase of new bands with a few more established and a couple of decent-size headliners. 

12 hours ago, modefan said:

I recommend Brighten the Corners in Ipswich. It is an urban multi-venue festival rather than a camping one but nothing to stop you booking into a hotel to do both days. Proper independent and a cracking lineup, very much a showcase of new bands with a few more established and a couple of decent-size headliners. 

Is it just music though? Cool thing about actual festivals is that they are away from your everyday location and can precisely craft a physical and sensorial experience. Doing it in a location where you are limited in terms of changes to the environment really limits the kind of aesthetics that you can craft

19 hours ago, manxboba said:

Shunned the bigger options this summer and went to 2000 Trees and Secret Garden Party instead

Loved both of them, smaller independent feel and a great vibe about both

Thinking about next summer now and wondering if there are similar festivals out there? 

Would like a to do a couple again with one being more band/music focused and the other about the experience

any suggestions?

Went to both last year. SGP was not small last year. Given this year success, it remains to be seen if they keep it small next year. Shambala is the clear option imo if you are after experiences. Womad is a great option too if you are open minded about music genres as chances are you won't know any of the genres on display let alone the acts.

5 hours ago, BluesManP said:

Is it just music though? Cool thing about actual festivals is that they are away from your everyday location and can precisely craft a physical and sensorial experience. Doing it in a location where you are limited in terms of changes to the environment really limits the kind of aesthetics that you can craft

Depends if you frequent Ipswich regularly. If you don't, it's certainly a different environment!

It is predominantly music. But there are also talks and other bits and pieces. And late night DJs into early hours - Alexis Taylor and Nabiyah Iqbal this year. The main square is basically closed off with some food stands and outside bar. There are four venues plus a historic building where the talks are. All reasonably close together.  

We normally do Glastonbury and Lindisfarne. Great wee festival on the Northumberland coast. Small capacity, 5k i think. All stages in tents in case of bad weather. No under 18s. Crowd a mix of old and young, mostly Scots and Geordies but others from further afield as well.

Music runs Thurs, Fri and Sat, pack up and home on the Sunday. Bands on 11am til midnight (later start on Thursday). Djs and electronic on til 4am fri/sat. 

Car park right next to the campsite and a 2 min walk from campsite to arena. Think my ticket was £135 this year which is ridiculous value. 

Not the best website but here's the link. They have a Facebook page as well. 

https://lindisfarnefestival.com/

This will be my fifth year. 

Edited by Stanton