Ticket tips and Tricks for 2025 festival

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Fallow in 2026 will ensure most folk will be desperate to attend with a two year gap looming. 

Didn’t go last year due to missing out on a ticket, went to a different festival and had much more fun than I have for a long time so made the decision not to bother this time either and try another festival again (Rock Werchter).  Was honestly surprised how little I missed it.

Will let the fallow year pass and hopefully missing 3 years will wet my appetite again

15 minutes ago, sisco said:

Didn’t go last year due to missing out on a ticket, went to a different festival and had much more fun than I have for a long time so made the decision not to bother this time either and try another festival again (Rock Werchter).  Was honestly surprised how little I missed it.

Will let the fallow year pass and hopefully missing 3 years will wet my appetite again

I can’t let a year go by and miss the years, far too old to miss the chance😊😉

51 minutes ago, sisco said:

I'd be quite strongly of the view that, unless the respective dates fall that way, going to another festival doesn't need to rule out Glastonbury and vica versa. Why not both? And then another one or two for good measure?

24 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd be quite strongly of the view that, unless the respective dates fall that way, going to another festival doesn't need to rule out Glastonbury and vica versa. Why not both? And then another one or two for good measure?

Because I have better things to spend the money on, family holidays/days out etc…

10 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Without a shadow of a doubt

it has no serious competitors in the uk in terms of large scale events

everything else good in (camping) festival land is small and boutique and cant attract the bigger names. 

In the late 00s and early 2010s Bestival was a genuine competitor and rival. Glasto hasnt really had one since its demise. So about a decade! 

I went to a few Bestivals when it was on the Isle of Wight. Had a ball at every one of them. It had its own enchantment which made it stand out, and it was easily as enjoyable as Glastonbury during those years. I won tickets to go to it's mainland incarnation one year. My wife and I left after the first night rather than take the pain of being at a festival that just didn't work. It really was chronic compared to the IOW one's. 

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I went to a few Bestivals when it was on the Isle of Wight. Had a ball at every one of them. It had its own enchantment which made it stand out, and it was easily as enjoyable as Glastonbury during those years. I won tickets to go to it's mainland incarnation one year. My wife and I left after the first night rather than take the pain of being at a festival that just didn't work. It really was chronic compared to the IOW one's. 

They were dying on their arse by then i think, so no wonder it was poor!

11 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The one where they gave away thousands of tickets via a competition in which everyone who entered won, which I think is what's being referred to, was the very last one. In hindsight (given that they filed for bankruptcy only a few weeks later with lots of bills unpaid), it looks like they must have decided to say "f**k it, this ship is going down anyway, lets get as many people in as possible".

I was already booked elsewhere that weekend, but I know quite a few people who went to that final Bestival as "competition winners".

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I had no idea that they were dying before the mainland move. I can't recall the last year that I attended, but it was very much alive and kicking then. Do you know / have any ideas why it began to die whilst still on the same site? I shall have to ask a friend or two if they can recall the year of my last visit. 

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had no idea that they were dying before the mainland move. I can't recall the last year that I attended, but it was very much alive and kicking then. Do you know / have any ideas why it began to die whilst still on the same site? I shall have to ask a friend or two if they can recall the year of my last visit. 

From the outside it seems like the biggest reason is that in 2016 they (for whatever reason - probably mostly the lineup) ended up selling approximately 35,000 tickets instead of the usual 65,000 - as a result they made some quite substantial cutbacks to both the lineup and the environment a couple weeks before the festival with some of the venues and acts cut, and theming not completed.

I think they probably lost a lot of money that year, and the cuts led to a loss of trust with the people who did go, and it became a vicious cycle from there. They moved to Lulworth Castle to try and save money, sharing some of the build costs with Camp Bestival, and it didn't really work - and wasn't helped by both Bestival and Camp Bestival being hit by some pretty shocking weather in 2017 which trashed the site each time. By 2018 they were basically running on fumes.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, incident said:

From the outside it seems like the biggest reason is that in 2016 they (for whatever reason - probably mostly the lineup) ended up selling approximately 35,000 tickets instead of the usual 65,000 - as a result they made some quite substantial cutbacks to both the lineup and the environment a couple weeks before the festival with some of the venues and acts cut, and theming not completed.

I think they probably lost a lot of money that year, and the cuts led to a loss of trust with the people who did go, and it became a vicious cycle from there. They moved to Lulworth Castle to try and save money, sharing some of the build costs with Camp Bestival, and it didn't really work - and wasn't helped by both Bestival and Camp Bestival being hit by some pretty shocking weather in 2017 which trashed the site each time. By 2018 they were basically running on fumes.

Hello incident,

Thanks for taking the time out to provide that thorough insight as to what was going on. Oh, not selling those tickets was the haymaker. I wonder if they didn't bother insuring against certain elements going wrong? Maybe there's no such market. However, i seem to recall Michael Eavis once saying that he'd been offered rain insurance one year. I can't recall how that panned out though. If I'm ever to find out how it went down, then someone may come along and throw light on that area.

5 hours ago, incident said:

It had started to lose its flair the year before, lack of decor and extravagant stuff.

The ferry companies also started to take the absolute piss and Boomtown was a thing! Party crowd moved. 

Can somebody please clear this up for me once and for all.  For years i used to batter the sh*t out of f5 and using this method got me tickets.  The last few years I’ve read on the forums that you can no longer do this as you will end up being put onto  a false holding page.

Is this true or can I go back to my old way of trying for tickets?

29 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

Can somebody please clear this up for me once and for all.  For years i used to batter the sh*t out of f5 and using this method got me tickets.  The last few years I’ve read on the forums that you can no longer do this as you will end up being put onto  a false holding page.

As long as you dont go too fast , think it was stated over 60 attempts per min then you should be fine 

10 hours ago, panasonic2011 said:

You can check this by hammering F5 on the sale page now, I've just tried and got the holding page.

On 8/8/2024 at 4:04 PM, stuie said:

It's quite obviously our best and most popular festival in the land with nothing coming up behind it to steal it's crown so I think ticket demand will remain as high as it is and GFL is safe for another decade at least. 

The threat of the fallow year will ensure sale are just as popular as ever despite the shite line up this year. 

31 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

The threat of the fallow year will ensure sale are just as popular as ever despite the shite line up this year. 

I think it's deeper than that.  I'm not expecting the next run of 5 to be in less demand.  Not everyone cares about the Pyramid top 3. 

Shite line ups are subjective anyway - after the dust has settled on this year, it's not my lasting memory. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think it's deeper than that.  I'm not expecting the next run of 5 to be in less demand.  Not everyone cares about the Pyramid top 3. 

Shite line ups are subjective anyway - after the dust has settled on this year, it's not my lasting memory. 

The poor line up this year wasn't limited to the pyramid headliners, there was a poor strength in depth, but a poor set of headliners does have an impact. In my experience, it can be the difference between capturing the imagination of the 'stragglers' or putting them off. I agree with your initial assessment though, i don't see supply outstripping demand for years to come.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

1 minute ago, Justcalledtosay said:

The poor line up this year wasn't limited to the pyramid headliners, there was a poor strength in depth, but a poor set of headliners does have an impact. In my experience, it can be the difference between capturing the imagination of the 'stragglers' or putting them off. I agree with your initial assessment though, i don't see supply outstripping demand for years to come.

I would assume that for the (tens of?) thousands that (anecdotally) left site on Sunday evening, because they didn't fancy any of the options that night, the lineup will make a difference. When you've dropped near 400 quid on a ticket, that's going to leave a sour taste.

While I agree that one years poor lineup won't make a difference to demand, and that this year will sell out just as easily as usual, the situation could change quicker than people think. A couple more like that and they'll be struggling (though of course, I don't expect a couple more like that).

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, incident said:

I would assume that for the (tens of?) thousands that (anecdotally) left site on Sunday evening, because they didn't fancy any of the options that night, the lineup will make a difference. When you've dropped near 400 quid on a ticket, that's going to leave a sour taste.

I witnessed the people leaving when I was working on Gate C Sunday evening, so I don't doubt that.  I'd say it's because they didn't fancy the Pyramid that night and probably didn't even consider other options, of which there were several.  For a large portion of the crowd, the day ends at the Pyramid.