Ren 2025

kalifire

• kalifire changed the title to Ren 2025
30 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes he played Secret Garden Party this year @fred quimbywas there.

I was 😁

Hopefully it has whetted his appetite to get out and perform.

Great performance,  started with Hi Ren and the first half of the set was acoustic with him on guitar and piano with others in on strings and also piano.

Bit of stop and start as he was trying to get his sound levels right ( not the only one of the weekend) and he admitted to his anxiety. He had to walk off for a bit. But he was back and grew into it.good version if Manu Chaos king of the Bongos. Great first half with him finishing "shooting" himself at the end of money game Pt 3.

All stops for the fireworks and Drone show

Comes back out with an uptempo set of bangers. On top form and seemed much more confident.

so much so that the last song he announced it was from the next Album, theres some balls right there, it was good.  We really enjoyed the whole thing

At Secret Garden Party there was even a fans (Renegades) camp. Large tent with Hi Ren set up in it. Heard that he visited them.

He did not make a meet and greet on Sunday mind as he got of his nut with his mates Saturday night.

Hope he makes it to the farm

Would show pics and vid but mine were sh*t in the end

• Upvote 2

I really hope so. It would be one of my must sees. I believe he was due to play in 2022 or 2023 but illness meant he had to cancel unfortunately. Think SGP was his only live set of the year but fingers crossed he will be able to do more as his health and mental state improves.

21 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I was 😁

Hopefully it has whetted his appetite to get out and perform.

Great performance,  started with Hi Ren and the first half of the set was acoustic with him on guitar and piano with others in on strings and also piano.

Bit of stop and start as he was trying to get his sound levels right ( not the only one of the weekend) and he admitted to his anxiety. He had to walk off for a bit. But he was back and grew into it.good version if Manu Chaos king of the Bongos. Great first half with him finishing "shooting" himself at the end of money game Pt 3.

All stops for the fireworks and Drone show

Comes back out with an uptempo set of bangers. On top form and seemed much more confident.

so much so that the last song he announced it was from the next Album, theres some balls right there, it was good.  We really enjoyed the whole thing

At Secret Garden Party there was even a fans (Renegades) camp. Large tent with Hi Ren set up in it. Heard that he visited them.

He did not make a meet and greet on Sunday mind as he got of his nut with his mates Saturday night.

Hope he makes it to the farm

Would show pics and vid but mine were sh*t in the end

Just to offer a slightly different view, I was also there and wasn't quite so impressed. The guy's clearly got talent, but as a live presence he seemed a little downbeat and unengaging. His constant requests for changes from the sound guys (in a not exactly polite way) really disrupted the gig for me, as did the long gaps between songs that weren't exactly filled with blistering banter (a good chunk were his complaints about the tech difficulties).

Of course, got to make allowances for his anxiety and the fact he hadn't performed live for years. I completely get that would affect any performer. And the other huge caveat is that we'd had enough after the first half so went elsewhere for his later set, and missed out on what sounds like the far superior bit. I may well have had a very different opinion if we'd stuck around. "Up tempo bangers" was very much what we were after, rather than the maudlin ballads the first part was mostly comprised of.

Not saying I wouldn't want him at Glastonbury, the raw material's clearly there in abundance. Just could do with some serious refining before hitting the farm for me.

I was much more impressed with a different member of the 'Ren extended universe' - Chinchilla. Her duet with him was the highlight of his set for me, and her own headlining set on the Sunday was one of the best things we saw all weekend. She's got 'future Lady Gaga' written all over her.

7 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Just to offer a slightly different view, I was also there and wasn't quite so impressed. The guy's clearly got talent, but as a live presence he seemed a little downbeat and unengaging. His constant requests for changes from the sound guys (in a not exactly polite way) really disrupted the gig for me, as did the long gaps between songs that weren't exactly filled with blistering banter (a good chunk were his complaints about the tech difficulties).

Of course, got to make allowances for his anxiety and the fact he hadn't performed live for years. I completely get that would affect any performer. And the other huge caveat is that we'd had enough after the first half so went elsewhere for his later set, and missed out on what sounds like the far superior bit. I may well have had a very different opinion if we'd stuck around. "Up tempo bangers" was very much what we were after, rather than the maudlin ballads the first part was mostly comprised of.

Not saying I wouldn't want him at Glastonbury, the raw material's clearly there in abundance. Just could do with some serious refining before hitting the farm for me.

I was much more impressed with a different member of the 'Ren extended universe' - Chinchilla. Her duet with him was the highlight of his set for me, and her own headlining set on the Sunday was one of the best things we saw all weekend. She's got 'future Lady Gaga' written all over her.

Agree really with what you say. The sound thing was annoying a bit.

Not as aggressive as someone else we saw on that stage, they were having a proper barney at the sound folk.

The second half had certainly thinned right out, so probably lots of people felt the same as you. Was a gig of 2 half's. And he did keep saying that the second half would be lively which kind of sounded desperate a bit.

You know how how I feel about missing Chinchilla. Really should have listened to my heart and stayed and then winged my 8am meeting. You live and Learn (not to listen to my sensible wife, who bizarrely really wanted to see her)

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Not as aggressive as someone else we saw on that stage, they were having a proper barney at the sound folk.

The second half had certainly thinned right out, so probably lots of people felt the same as you. Was a gig of 2 half's. And he did keep saying that the second half would be lively which kind of sounded desperate a bit.

You know how how I feel about missing Chinchilla. Really should have listened to my heart and stayed and then winged my 8am meeting. You live and Learn (not to listen to my sensible wife, who bizarrely really wanted to see her)

It's horrible when the sound techs get shouted at. Never has it made the performer not sound like a complete arzehole. 

Has anyone ever seen a sound guy walk on stage and chin a performer? 😅 I bet that has definitely happened, the way they get spoken to sometimes.

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Ah the early festival dart is often a sensible move. And I'm confident you'll have plenty of other chances to see Chinchilla, she's clearly going places and seemed to love playing the festival despite the lowish numbers. She was still meeting and greeting people when we walked past the stage about 2 hours after she'd finished.

Name & shame the sound tech abusers! Definitely not on. Ren wasn't abusive or anything, just a bit short with them I thought. And I'd forgotten all about how much he kept saying it was going to get better, I think that must have made me subconsciously think it was less good than it actually was. Not a very clever thing for a live performer to say, again showing his (understandable) rustiness.

I was there too and loved it, all of it. One of my all time fave shows in nearly 30 years of going to gigs. The second half was so much fun, and the first very special in a quieter way. He relaxed as soon as he started going off the cuff and treating it all more like a busking gig, where he was most comfortable, and the energy started flowing. It was a show all very much on the fly, they hadn’t much time to rehearse and the sound was off to start. So glad he called it out as it made everything else much better. It was really special and I’m so glad to have been there to share in it all.

I’ve no idea where he’d play on the farm but I’d be there for it! Hopefully he’d do a few sets on diff stages… musing now … 

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

He'd have to play a fairly big stage surely? Park, West Holts or maybe even Other. He's built a pretty solid, and loyal, fan base, and there'd be an even bigger element who would go along out of pure curiosity. 

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

He'd have to play a fairly big stage surely? Park, West Holts or maybe even Other. He's built a pretty solid, and loyal, fan base, and there'd be an even bigger element who would go along out of pure curiosity. 

Would have to be other or Pyramid. He is massive! Love to see it.

On 8/17/2024 at 11:50 PM, Alvoram said:

Was thinking about this. Park or WH would probably be perfect. Possibly Woodsies but I’m not sure how big he would be outside his loyal fans and could lead to crowding issues.

On 8/17/2024 at 11:50 PM, Alvoram said:

Pure efests bubble stuff this

21 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Was thinking about this. Park or WH would probably be perfect. Possibly Woodsies but I’m not sure how big he would be outside his loyal fans and could lead to crowding issues.

Woodsies is bigger than Park. Either of those would be fine - i'd lean to Woodsies because of his type of music more than anything