Campervans

BLUENOSE1872

Been to many festivals over the years, but hoping to get to Glastonbury for first time next year, if we get tickets. 6 of travelling from Scotland, from other people's experience would it be best to hire a campervan up here and drive it down, or fly to Bristol and have one booked locally? Cheers in advance.

20 minutes ago, BLUENOSE1872 said:

Been to many festivals over the years, but hoping to get to Glastonbury for first time next year, if we get tickets. 6 of travelling from Scotland, from other people's experience would it be best to hire a campervan up here and drive it down, or fly to Bristol and have one booked locally? Cheers in advance.

Campervan hire over Glasto week can be difficult - either way is fine, depends on availability though.  Book sooner rather than later and cancel if you need to.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Campervan hire over Glasto week can be difficult - either way is fine, depends on availability though.  Book sooner rather than later and cancel if you need to.

We would probably be better booking one up here then I'd imagine, I don't have any real issue with driving down. I know the campervan slots come out later than the tickets, so we'd just have to take our chances.

per @stuieavailability and cost of CV hire may well be at a premium Glastonbury week... some considerations :

- are you 6 adults.? 

- getting a CV that 'properly' sleeps 6 adults may be a stretch

- as will be finding one with 6 seatbelted seats

- If the CV is over 8m in length you are limited to parking in Bath & West and will be charged a greater cost

- You could look at hiring 2 x 4 berth CVs (a lot more cost) 

- You could also pitch a tent next to your CV and have some come down in the CV and others in a car / be aware that CV Fields are open on Tuesday and I would recommend arriving Tuesday if you can.. (maybe coach although that would mean getting those tickets first and would be a gamble as the others may miss out in the general sale)

See the link to GFL CV&Caravan info page  https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/

I would make sure that you get some research in on hiring CV's asap... You would want to be ready to pull the trigger on booking once you have secured those precious tickets

Good luck in the sale! 

3 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

per @stuieavailability and cost of CV hire may well be at a premium Glastonbury week... some considerations :

- are you 6 adults.? 

- getting a CV that 'properly' sleeps 6 adults may be a stretch

- as will be finding one with 6 seatbelted seats

- If the CV is over 8m in length you are limited to parking in Bath & West and will be charged a greater cost

- You could look at hiring 2 x 4 berth CVs (a lot more cost) 

- You could also pitch a tent next to your CV and have some come down in the CV and others in a car / be aware that CV Fields are open on Tuesday and I would recommend arriving Tuesday if you can.. (maybe coach although that would mean getting those tickets first and would be a gamble as the others may miss out in the general sale)

See the link to GFL CV&Caravan info page  https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/

I would make sure that you get some research in on hiring CV's asap... You would want to be ready to pull the trigger on booking once you have secured those precious tickets

Good luck in the sale! 

doffs cap   

That's very comprehensive

I recall a few years back seeing one on one of those sites where folks rent out their own vans, maybe cosy campers or something, it was a beautiful looking conversion of a lorry/horsebox with 6 berths, wood panelling, log burner etc.

@BLUENOSE1872 - just want to check if there are specific things you need from a campervan?  If it's primarily not bringing the tent etc then Worthy View or Sticklinch (or alternatives) may be simpler, more flexible and cheaper?

Edited by clarkete
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

doffs cap   

That's very comprehensive

Thanks but actually... I have since been thinking 

- You could of course rent the cv from anywhere between Scotland & Glastonbury... It would probably be more comfortable driving in a car from Scotland rather than a big old CV...?

- It may well be worth looking at local (West Country) companies that park up a rented caravan on site for you - whilst I have never looked into it myself, i reckon that would be a decent option (Drive your own car, everything set up for you, decent parking/camping spot - E25 i believe.?).. I have no idea of the price though?

😀

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

Thanks but actually... I have since been thinking 

- You could of course rent the cv from anywhere between Scotland & Glastonbury... It would probably be more comfortable driving in a car from Scotland rather than a big old CV...?

- It may well be worth looking at local (West Country) companies that park up a rented caravan on site for you - whilst I have never looked into it myself, i reckon that would be a decent option (Drive your own car, everything set up for you, decent parking/camping spot - E25 i believe.?).. I have no idea of the price though?

😀

Thanks for the info. I've already looked at vans that'll seat and sleep 6, really not expecting comfort to be honest. I drive a van every day with work, so the driving isn't an issue with me. No danger we would get down there on the Tuesday though, might need to look outwith the Glasto site itself for pitches. All hinges on the tickets of course. If we don't get them then we will be looking at a European festival instead. Cheers.