the smiffs

Neil

Nothing but respect for Johnny Marr, even before hearing this.  Genuinely great bloke and incredible talent.  Morrissey on the other hand....

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

The closest to seeing them live i got was a Morrisey set at Benacassim 2008 got 3 songs in - his banter between songs was that of a tw*t so I left - Justice then knocked it out the park 

Standard procedure 

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

The closest to seeing them live i got was a Morrisey set at Benacassim 2008 got 3 songs in - his banter between songs was that of a tw*t so I left - Justice then knocked it out the park 

I saw him there in 2006 and he actually apologised hhen he came out for the encore for insulting the Spanish audience

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore.

Beat me to it!

Saw Morrissey solo about 20 years ago and it was f**king awful.  Opened with How Soon Is Now, did a couple of his own which were OK then descended into self satisfying bullshit and long interlude w*nker monologues.  Also left early.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore.

I was hoping for a Smiths reunion one day, but after this news, I Know It's Over.

Whether you like Morrissey's beliefs and opinions, its hard to ignore the fact that The Smiths were one of the best bands the UK has ever produced, full stop.

A reunion would have been pretty special for a lot of people.

The disappointment I feel for Rolf Harris pales into insignificance compared to that of Morrisey. Part of me 'wants' to believe that he is consciously doing a 'Reggie Perrin', but a bigger part of me thinks that I was mistaken in believing in him for many a year. 

I went to university once and hated it. I got into the 2nd year (by nefarious means) and had just started the first term of the second year, and I just was so miserable being there. I played 'Reel Around the Fountain' almost on a loop to myself one night and it gave me the courage to leave the university. I told them I was leaving the very next morning, after hearing that song all night long.

I guess I 'owe' him for that - it got me out of a shithole situation, and I've had the life that I have had since, I guess, as a result. As I cannot complain about that life, so I am 'forced' to give him the nod for that one.

That doesn't exempt him though. Far from it. Nothing can exempt him.

On 8/30/2024 at 12:23 AM, Neil said:

marr turned morrissey down - good 🙂 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp352111wyxo

Aye, not only has Marr played with a great variety of different artists in recent years and thereby given some young bands a leg up but also turned down what's clearly a massive bag of money. 

Genuinely think he's a bit of a hero, especially avoiding giving a huge platform to that twat in this day and age. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Dales said:

Whether you like Morrissey's beliefs and opinions, its hard to ignore the fact that The Smiths were one of the best bands the UK has ever produced, full stop.

A reunion would have been pretty special for a lot of people.

And, despite his beliefs (or perceived beliefs) Morrissey is still brilliant. His performances are epic, and some of the music he has brought out in the last ten years or so has been top quality. And despite how nice Johnny Marr is, you can't even compare seeing him live to seeing Morrissey live. Morrissey is a force.

• Upvote 3

Really surprised by people having a negative experience at Morrissey gigs, I’ve seen him a few times and he’s always been incredible. Naturally, I’d love a Smiths reunion but I’ve loved the more recent solo material, so a Morrissey gig ticks all the boxes for me. 

I understand why some people have an issue with him and that’s fair enough. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ticketboy69 said:

Really surprised by people having a negative experience at Morrissey gigs, I’ve seen him a few times and he’s always been incredible. Naturally, I’d love a Smiths reunion but I’ve loved the more recent solo material, so a Morrissey gig ticks all the boxes for me. 

I understand why some people have an issue with him and that’s fair enough. 

I went to see him at Leeds in 2020 at one of the last big gigs before lockdown, and wow, the vibe leading up to it all around the arena was breathtaking. Same with other times I've seen him. The city seems to stop and hold its breath. And same, he has never disappointed me live. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1