the smiffs

Neil

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

Nature of the beast tbh. I know a lot of people loved The Smiths' music, but that fundamental Morrissey-Marr relationship looks permanently broken in a way beyond the Noel-Liam dynamic.

there's more than that damaged relationship in the smiffs.

10 hours ago, ticketboy69 said:

Really surprised by people having a negative experience at Morrissey gigs, I’ve seen him a few times and he’s always been incredible. Naturally, I’d love a Smiths reunion but I’ve loved the more recent solo material, so a Morrissey gig ticks all the boxes for me. 

I understand why some people have an issue with him and that’s fair enough. 

Fantastic live performer

Absolute legend 

Shame they couldn't get back together 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think you need to separate Morrissey's solo career into two broad phases - the first chunk he was great live and the musical output also often pretty good.  But the recent years have been far from vintage.

I'd disagree there. I think Low in High School (2017) is one of his best works. And I feel like his golden age started with You Are The Quarry (2004), followed by Ringleaders and Years of Refusal. I really loved those works. His earlier albums didn't pack as much punch imo. 

• Upvote 2

For me his work & his live performances have remained top tier. His voice, though changed somewhat by age, is still absolutely brilliant. 

Some of his political views, the constant cancelling of shows & overall entitled attitude however are another story. 

The fact he went from being voted the second greatest living British Icon in 2006, to basically an ostracised afterthought to most people is entirely his own fault. 

As much as I’d like to see Morrissey & Marr together again, I don’t really blame Johnny for wanting no part of it at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

For me his work & his live performances have remained top tier. His voice, though changed somewhat by age, is still absolutely brilliant. 

Some of his political views, the constant cancelling of shows & overall entitled attitude however are another story. 

The fact he went from being voted the second greatest living British Icon in 2006, to basically an ostracised afterthought to most people is entirely his own fault. 

As much as I’d like to see Morrissey & Marr together again, I don’t really blame Johnny for wanting no part of it at this point. 

I want to believe he's just a mischievous little boy at heart, and just does/says things for a reaction. Because his songs are still left wing and progressive.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bengali In Platforms isn’t.

You could say it is though. Is it deliberate that some of his lyrics could be taken either way (so that they become a reflection of what's in the listeners mind)? You could say the same for National Front Disco.

whenever articles list the bands johnny has played with they never seem to mention talking heads - i spotted his playing straight away on that album('naked')

Edited by Neil

I'm a huge fan and used to think his, ahem, idiosyncratic comments came from a kind of extreme vegetarianism. So when he called the Chinese a sub-species he wasn't being racist, he was only talking about animal welfare. Probably self-delusion on my part. The quotes and actions from the last few years have been beyond the pale and hugely disappointing. I still listen to the Smiths but have found it really difficult to separate the art from the artist with his solo stuff. 

On 9/2/2024 at 7:18 AM, Joey Peeps said:

The quotes and actions from the last few years have been beyond the pale and hugely disappointing. I still listen to the Smiths but have found it really difficult to separate the art from the artist with his solo stuff. 

Absolutely this. That was one of the great things about seeing the Smyths the other day - i could enjoy all those great songs live, knowing that Morrissey isnt benefitting in any way from my attendance 😄 i didnt really want any Morrissey songs in the set either, but hey they played em - and it isnt up to me. Very good, and very recommended 

It's strange, I loved The Smiths when I was in my teens but they're one of the few acts from my past that I have little urge to listen to now, and I think that's probably subconsciously down to Moz. If they did reunite I'd probably not bother, despite having mucho respect for Johnny Marr, but watching the Blossoms/Astley Glasto set on the TV was so joyous, I really wished I had been there. 

22 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It's strange, I loved The Smiths when I was in my teens but they're one of the few acts from my past that I have little urge to listen to now, and I think that's probably subconsciously down to Moz. If they did reunite I'd probably not bother, despite having mucho respect for Johnny Marr, but watching the Blossoms/Astley Glasto set on the TV was so joyous, I really wished I had been there. 

Yes, it was indeed brilliant. 

I've not seen many things that Marr has played in, much as I'd like to, but he joined Pretenders at the Park that year and they were excellent too. 

8 hours ago, henry bear said:

Blossoms/Astley was ace! Although I think I knew the lyrics better than Astley did 😅 it just added to the charm though.

Love the smiths music.  I also Love most of Morrissey's solo albums up to years of refusal,  there have been a few songs on each album since then which are good but overall I don't rate them. 

I don't agree with his views and he seems totally insufferable. Very hard now to listen to his solo stuff and not think of all the rubbish he talks. 

If the smiths reformed I would be there like a shot... but I'm glad johnny has resisted. He seems like a genuinely good chap. 

On 9/3/2024 at 10:42 AM, balti-pie said:

Absolutely this. That was one of the great things about seeing the Smyths the other day - i could enjoy all those great songs live, knowing that Morrissey isnt benefitting in any way from my attendance 😄 i didnt really want any Morrissey songs in the set either, but hey they played em - and it isnt up to me. Very good, and very recommended 

Pretty sure Morrisey/Marr will get royalties form a tribute band playing their songs at gigs much like they would from a venue playing their recordings.

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Pretty sure Morrisey/Marr will get royalties form a tribute band playing their songs at gigs much like they would from a venue playing their recordings.

I've often wondered about this.  If "act A" plays 1 cover in their set and it's not recorded or broadcast, do they owe any royalties?  If you're a 100% covers act and your entire income is made from playing exclusively, say, songs written by Paul Weller, then does he get a percentage?  If so, how is it all calculated and policed?

Our village pub has acts on every Saturday and they are sometimes singers with a backing track, or some guy with an acoustic guitar etc. and they always do covers.  They're likely paid cash by the landlady.  I assume that sort of thing would fly under the radar?

On 9/4/2024 at 12:46 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Yeah, but if that comes from PRS, i dont mind that so much -ok im funding it by going to the venue and the venue paying it on to the PRS, and the setlist getting divvied up etc etc, but i havnt actually directly put any money into Morrissey's sweaty, moist, tight pockets. I'm not bankrolling his latest purchase on nazipastries.net and thats the bottom line.