What if Glastonbury switched to Ticketmaster and Dynamic ticket pricing????

Franky

1 minute ago, stuie said:

It would die a lingering death of about 3-4 years.

Yes, the problem with f**king people over and leaving a bad taste in their mouth is that if you do it often enough, they start to remember, and start to hold it against you.

Oasis doing it for their first tour in 15 years can get away with it as people will pay up even if they're pissed off about it. If they keep doing it every year from now on, then after the 3rd or 4th time people would just say "f**k it, I'm done with this".

Same would apply at Glastonbury. First year the demand would still be there, but that would rapidly diminish.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes, the problem with f**king people over and leaving a bad taste in their mouth is that if you do it often enough, they start to remember, and start to hold it against you.

Oasis doing it for their first tour in 15 years can get away with it as people will pay up even if they're pissed off about it. If they keep doing it every year from now on, then after the 3rd or 4th time people would just say "f**k it, I'm done with this".

Same would apply at Glastonbury. First year the demand would still be there, but that would rapidly diminish.

As I said, I really hope so but I’m not so sure anymore. The worlds gone f**king mental. 

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

This. Just a couple of years of only those able to afford £750+ tickets would change the demographic that much it would no longer be as popular 

18 minutes ago, Franky said:

As I said, I really hope so but I’m not so sure anymore. The worlds gone f**king mental. 

Just as an example - the Springsteen UK shows in 2023 comfortably and instantly sold out as expected, but attracted criticism for the use dynamic pricing and ticket prices generally.

As a direct result, in 2024 he struggled to sell a similar number of tickets, and I'm not even certain that the second Wembley date even did sell out - something that would have previously been inconceivable.

Edited by incident

: Laughs in American

oh hello, welcome to how shits been for a long while over here. Festivals cant do dynamic pricing  like that. They do sell tickets in tiers. Thus the sooner you but the lower the price. You could never do this for a festival because the algorithm would go haywire.

if Glasto had tiered pricing it would go something along the lines of this. 

Tier 1 - £360

Tier 2 - £385

Tier 3 - £410

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Just as an example - the Springsteen UK shows in 2023 comfortably and instantly sold out as expected, but attracted criticism for the use dynamic pricing and ticket prices generally.

As a direct result, in 2024 he struggled to sell a similar number of tickets, and I'm not even certain that the second Wembley date even did sell out - something that would have previously been inconceivable.

Oh fair enough. 

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

oh hello, welcome to how shits been for a long while over here. Festivals cant do dynamic pricing  like that. They do sell tickets in tiers. Thus the sooner you but the lower the price. You could never do this for a festival because the algorithm would go haywire.

Tier 1 - £360

Tier 2 - £385

Tier 3 - £410

Sorry, in English please. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Tier 1 - £360

Tier 2 - £385

Tier 3 - £410

We have tiered pricing in England too. I don’t understand what you’re saying.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

We have tiered pricing in England too. I don’t understand what you’re saying.

Well i dont understand the point of wondering why Glasto would do actual dynamic pricing when it would never happen cause the system would make it £1000 in 15 minutes on T day. A festivals version of it is tiered pricing cause they couldnt be switching costs in real time.

the only argument to be had is how much is anyone willing to pay for a ticket to glasto if it was an open market in regards to resale, thats it.

35 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

That would be me out .... not sure my limit at the moment but its getting closer despite its incredible value compared to todays sh*t show 

I’d agree.  I find it totally abhorrent that a price is set then suddenly as folk become desperate the prices are hiked. It’s one thing to have a pre arranged batch for hospitality etc up front but to suddenly up the price of the regular punters tickets during the sale is not on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Well i dont understand the point of wondering why Glasto would do actual dynamic pricing when it would never happen cause the system would make it £1000 in 15 minutes on T day. A festivals version of it is tiered pricing cause they couldnt be switching costs in real time.

the only argument to be had is how much is anyone willing to pay for a ticket to glasto if it was an open market in regards to resale, thats it.

I don’t see what the difference is between selling a 100k tickets for a stadium or 100k tickets for a festival? 

48 minutes ago, Franky said:

I mean……. Can you imagine 

How much would you pay?

Well what's your scenario here?

Clearly at the moment we know that the Eavis folks are happy to use their farm for a big party, the volunteers give their labour and artists perform for lower fees for "the greater good"...which is ostensibly lots of nice things happen, folks enjoy themselves and millions are donated to charity.

Which bits would change?

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Clearly at the moment we know that the Eavis folks are happy to use their farm for a big party, the volunteers give their labour and artists perform for lower fees for "the greater good"...which is ostensibly lots of nice things happen, folks enjoy themselves and millions are donated to charity.

Which bits would change?

all of it… the whole show depends on shed loads of good will. 

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Don't comment then, stop trolling and do one

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Which bits would change?

Well potentially the ticket prices as more and more were sold, the later you were to get an opportunity to buy the more expensive the ticket would be.

55 minutes ago, stuie said:

But before that it would join the Henley regatta, Wimbledon, and Royal Ascot circuit as another place to pose and be seen. There’s a few like that already but fortunately in the minority. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

But before that it would join the Henley regatta, Wimbledon, and Royal Ascot circuit as another place to pose and be seen. There’s a few like that already but fortunately in the minority. 

Yeah I am not sure it wouldn't stay like that tbh

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

More hunter wellies.

Silverstone did this with the British Grand Prix, which is expensive enough given tickets are now in the £300-500 range and have doubled since covid, and boy did they get a kicking from people that this algorithm was being deployed.

So big expensive places are already doing it whether people like it or not. I don't think it was in place for this year's race but can't truly recall.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I don’t see what the difference is between selling a 100k tickets for a stadium or 100k tickets for a festival? 

one evening vs multiple days. Youre essentially buying a holiday package with a festival ticket. You cannot use the same rules for pricing on both events, it would be madness. Generally for any festival of note youre going to have some demand after announcement and initial onsale.

So when Reading announced its lineup, you had 100,000 people in a queue trying for tickets. If the dynamic pricing system was left to do what it normally does, then tickets would easily be 5 times face value. Thats not a good business model. You cannot price people out  of a festival because the machine says everyone wants a ticket. Tiered ticketing was the only solution to get people on board to buy a ticket sooner than later and to not appear like youre ripping their eyeballs out because going up £30 increments doesnt feel as bad as tripling the cost.

Single concerts can be subjected to the same system and give you different results. As its clear in the uk, the prices only shift at the end of the inventory, not the beginning. You are playing into the psychology of a ticket buyer. Theyve been stuck in the queue for hours, hoping for a ticket. They finally get in, they see some seats, the click on them. They either hesitate at the sticker shock or they hit the purchase button. Those are your only choices. It works every time. Its working at this very moment despite the complaints.

Ticketmaster hired psychologists years ago to analyse this sh*t. Its up to you to beat them at their own game. 

Edited by Suprefan