What if Glastonbury switched to Ticketmaster and Dynamic ticket pricing????

Franky

1 hour ago, Franky said:

Well potentially the ticket prices as more and more were sold, the later you were to get an opportunity to buy the more expensive the ticket would be.

Doesn't that fail to address any of the points I made about the goodwill and the greater good?

Without those components it would stop existing, it's not here merely as a commercial venture - it exists because ME wanted money to go to good causes, he said it on the 50th anniversary film.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

: Laughs in American

oh hello, welcome to how shits been for a long while over here. Festivals cant do dynamic pricing  like that. They do sell tickets in tiers. Thus the sooner you but the lower the price. You could never do this for a festival because the algorithm would go haywire.

if Glasto had tiered pricing it would go something along the lines of this. 

Tier 1 - £360

Tier 2 - £385

Tier 3 - £410

Loads of UK festivals do tiered pricing, it’s actually the norm among mid sized and smaller festivals 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

But before that it would join the Henley regatta, Wimbledon, and Royal Ascot circuit as another place to pose and be seen. There’s a few like that already but fortunately in the minority. 

It’s already there to some extent. It’s already a “Great British Institution  

26 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Doesn't that fail to address any of the points I made about the goodwill and the greater good?

Without those components it would stop existing, it's not here merely as a commercial venture - it exists because ME wanted money to go to good causes, he said it on the 50th anniversary film.

I am not entirely sure what your argument is? Are you just syaing it will never happen becuase of the Eavis good will? If so, fair enough, it was only a what  if musing.

How quickly does dynamic pricing start rising? Like, in the case of Oasis and there's 60k tickets for the gig, does it go up fifty quid after 10k or a few quid after the first tickets and then incrementally the longer it goes on?

Prob a n00b comment, but I haven't bought tickets for a gig in the UK for over 15 years.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

How quickly does dynamic pricing start rising? Like, in the case of Oasis and there's 60k tickets for the gig, does it go up fifty quid after 10k or a few quid after the first tickets and then incrementally the longer it goes on?

Prob a n00b comment, but I haven't bought tickets for a gig in the UK for over 15 years.

Kind of impossible to tell, but it seems that the Oasis tickets seemed to be £150 until about three hours after the start of the sale, and then they went to £350 for ‘dynamic’ pricing. I’d hazard a guess at perhaps 75% sold and then 25% dynamic maybe? 
it’d be fascinating to see what would happen with a Glastonbury sale that did that; £355 until 75% are sold, and then they’re bumped up to £750: I’d stove in my laptop to be honest 🤣 absolutely f**k that nonsense

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Kind of impossible to tell, but it seems that the Oasis tickets seemed to be £150 until about three hours after the start of the sale, and then they went to £350 for ‘dynamic’ pricing. I’d hazard a guess at perhaps 75% sold and then 25% dynamic maybe? 
it’d be fascinating to see what would happen with a Glastonbury sale that did that; £355 until 75% are sold, and then they’re bumped up to £750: I’d stove in my laptop to be honest 🤣 absolutely f**k that nonsense

Yeah, that kind of lottery sounds terrible. If I don't know the price of something before I'm entering into buying it, I'd be f**ked by dynamic pricing for a festival. I spent well over a grand on Glastonbury last time including transport, hotel, taxis etc. If they added another 500 quid on top just for shits and giggles I'd never be able to attend again

1 hour ago, Franky said:

I am not entirely sure what your argument is? Are you just syaing it will never happen becuase of the Eavis good will? If so, fair enough, it was only a what  if musing.

If they introduced dynamic pricing (profiteering) then people wouldn’t volunteer their time to the cause and artists wouldn’t play for reduced fees or for free anymore. The whole business model would collapse. 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

If they introduced dynamic pricing (profiteering) then people wouldn’t volunteer their time to the cause and artists wouldn’t play for reduced fees or for free anymore. The whole business model would collapse. 

Ohhhhhhh okay I get you.

sure TM are scum (funny how theres a Ticketmaster ad on the side of this page as I write this)

but its the artist management and promoter who decide to adopt "dynamic pricing" for a sale, just like its their decision to hide prices from consumers.

sure Ticketmaster rob you blind with fees and whatever, but its the artist that chooses to f**k you over with dynamic pricing.

I'm almost certain that this year was my last Glastonbury so I guess its a moot point for me anyway - but if the festival was to use dynamic pricing it would certainly be a no from me.

58 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Glastonbury wouldn't do that to us, surely.

No chance. Nor would any festival. It works for bands cashing in on big tours but festivals need to maintain good relations with their fans to survive, there’s so much competition. As others have pointed out, any festival going down this road would quickly find that a lot of their key attendees have buggered off elsewhere

What if Glastonbury switched to Ticketmaster and Dynamic ticket pricing????

would never happen while Michael is around, hes worked hard to keep ticket prices down, so it would be against ideas hes expressed over decades to choose to increase prices by an unspecified amount, where its out of his control ( i know that he feels that control of the pricing is an important part of his role).

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Loads of UK festivals do tiered pricing, it’s actually the norm among mid sized and smaller festivals 

I'm not sure tiered pricing and dynamic pricing are the same problems. Festivals that use tiered pricing do declare in advance that this is what they're doing - indeed this was my experience of Truck Festival, which I visited five years ago and brought tickets for in the second-to-last tier due to it taking time to persuade my brother to come with. Not advertising that this is subject to dynamic pricing gives it more of a degree of subterfuge.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I'm not sure tiered pricing and dynamic pricing are the same problems. Festivals that use tiered pricing do declare in advance that this is what they're doing - indeed this was my experience of Truck Festival, which I visited five years ago and brought tickets for in the second-to-last tier due to it taking time to persuade my brother to come with. Not advertising that this is subject to dynamic pricing gives it more of a degree of subterfuge.

Tiered pricing is absolutely fine. It allows smaller festivals to ensure they can operate by getting some cash in early. There are several UK festivals already selling tier 1 tickets for next summer 

• Like 1

Boomtown used to kind of have dynamic pricing… tiers 1 to 4 all sold in the initial demand on the sale night with no one knowing how many were in each tier as the price went up quickly.

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Tiered pricing is absolutely fine. It allows smaller festivals to ensure they can operate by getting some cash in early. There are several UK festivals already selling tier 1 tickets for next summer 

Quite. Indeed Truck Festival, the example I cited, has already sold out tier 1s and is now on tier 2s.

Point though was that at least we have an awareness and expectation that this is what they do rather than dynamic pricing, which still seems to be both inconsistently applied and not really explained in advance that this is a thing.

5 hours ago, Franky said:

Yes, I was merely suggesting that as @stuie pointed out, there are a few things which are interdependent 

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

: Laughs in American

oh hello, welcome to how shits been for a long while over here. Festivals cant do dynamic pricing  like that. They do sell tickets in tiers. Thus the sooner you but the lower the price. You could never do this for a festival because the algorithm would go haywire.

if Glasto had tiered pricing it would go something along the lines of this. 

Tier 1 - £360

Tier 2 - £385

Tier 3 - £410

Tbf all the superstruct events have tier systems. Might not have massive jumps but I certainly paid about £50 extra for a ticket than my mate did to Victorious