2024 EOTR - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

killyourtv

21 hours ago, airwaves said:

See my G/B/U post above

I'm categorising this reply as REALLY UGLY. 

Heaven forbid, Nal, that you should find yourself having a medical incident during a gig/Festival. 

Yes, of course I was delighted they were ok in the end. Huge relief. Its maybe the most concerning thing I've seen at a gig. I've seen people hit the deck before but 3 people is awful. 

But passing out after taking a load of sh*t drugs at an acoustic gig and ruining it and the secret gig after for everyone else - not cool. 

Anyway, another "good" - meeting Danny Goffey while having a piss.

5th time this year. Had a great weekend.

The Good: Music: Idles, Wine Lips, CMAT, Richard Hawley, Gustaf, Jockstrap, Nation of Language, Master Peace, Sprints, Curtis Harding, King Hannah.

Karaoke, Silent Disco, made in Dough, new Folly tent, craft bar selection, Roaming Rotisserie when I was feeling very hungover early Sunday afternoon. 

The Bad. I wouldn't normally pick an act here but Richard Dawson from my tent was more than enough of that voice for me.

Talkers near the front or in busy crowds. If you're sat or stood near the back it's not great but sort of expected. To go down the front and do it is taking the piss.

Fever Ray and Mdou Moctar cancellations. I was looking forward to both of those too.

Expected, but my phone again being a glorified watch is a bit of a pain.

The Ugly: Feeling rough and on my own come Sunday afternoon I also left about 7pm on Sunday as couldn't bear the thought of a hot, packed Big Top for English Teacher, Fever Ray had cancelled and I'd watched Lambrini Girls twice at Glastonbury.

Edited by Chip Batch

38 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

5th time this year. Had a great weekend.

The Good: Music: Idles, Wine Lips, CMAT, Richard Hawley, Gustaf, Jockstrap, Nation of Language, Master Peace, Sprints, Curtis Harding, King Hannah.

Karaoke, Silent Disco, made in Dough, new Folly tent, craft bar selection, Roaming Rotisserie when I was feeling very hungover early Sunday afternoon. 

The Bad. I wouldn't normally pick an act here but Richard Dawson from my tent was more than enough of that voice for me.

Talkers near the front or in busy crowds. If you're sat or stood near the back it's not great but sort of expected. To go down the front and do it is taking the piss.

Fever Ray and Mdou Moctar cancellations. I was looking forward to both of those too.

Expected, but my phone again being a glorified watch is a bit of a pain.

The Ugly: Feeling rough and on my own come Sunday afternoon I also left about 7pm on Sunday as couldn't bear the thought of a hot, packed Big Top for English Teacher, Fever Ray had cancelled and I'd watched Lambrini Girls twice at Glastonbury.

Last add to 'good': Holiday Ghosts, the craft bar selection had nice IPAs and sours, new folly tent was more interesting. 

PS. Bring back Luardo's! 

Edited by Chip Batch

4 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

The Ugly:

I've had a soaking fever and horrendous chest-rattling cough since returning home.

Live by the sword, eh!

Thats the covid tent for you!

Really not sure what they could do but would love to see it moved and the sides opened up. Its an abysmal stage in its current form. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

But passing out after taking a load of sh*t drugs at an acoustic gig and ruining it and the secret gig after for everyone else - not cool. 

Anyway, another "good" - meeting Danny Goffey while having a piss.

Is that why the (supposedly) Joanna Sternberg Talking Heads headline set was cancelled?

Seems to have been a few famous faces who weren't otherwise involved, which is rare for EOTR. I saw Huw Stephens by the marble run and apparently William Doyle spent a lot of time at Boat.

13 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Is that why the (supposedly) Joanna Sternberg Talking Heads headline set was cancelled?

Seems to have been a few famous faces who weren't otherwise involved, which is rare for EOTR. I saw Huw Stephens by the marble run and apparently William Doyle spent a lot of time at Boat.

I heard the secret set was Ty Segall. Sunday 9pm-9.30pm.

Might make sense. People dropping unconscious in the front row. Probably said "f**k that" and left. 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Did a drugs test on them did you? 

Or how do you "know" it was drugs? 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I heard the secret set was Ty Segall. Sunday 9pm-9.30pm.

Might make sense. People dropping unconscious in the front row. Probably said "f**k that" and left. 

Was definitely supposed to be Joanna Sternberg, such a shame because they were astonishing earlier in the day. We were in the queue to get in when it was cancelled and the guy working there told us.

The Good:
The music was AAAAAAACE! Managed a personal best for catching bands and saw 36 acts over the weekend. Being a weird list nerd, I naturally had to put them into order of enjoyment which was:

image.thumb.png.0359ef5f6e61b33bad802f1419e550ed.png

Note: Being near the bottom of the list doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it! The quality was so good. 

Speaking of lists... I also got an excellent setlist haul!
image.thumb.png.0cd437c9832d1955af0645fda7b49557.png

The food! After doing Glasto and Green man, my wife and I made a pact to only try new stuff (we're regulars at Anna Mae's, Smoking Buns and the rendang place and realised we stopped trying new things), didn't have a bad meal! Curry Shed and the chicken place were particular highlights.

The new Folly. So nice to have a proper stage.

The people. Met and chatted with so many lovely people. Big shout-out to the guy who helped me push my trolly up the hill on Thursday (who I subsequently ran into twice on Sunday night) and the two guys with hilarious dance routines at Nation of Language.

No connection to the outside world. It was delicious.

The Bad:
More urinals, please! Especially needed in the Folly to reduce queues and pissy seats. Bonus points for female urinals too (Green Man did a cracking job of this).

The Ugly:
The goddamn Big Top! It's too f**king hot in there. When it's less full (Cornelius, Billy Woods) it's fine enough, but when it's full (English Teacher!) it's pretty grim. There's got to be something that can be done.

Tickets for next year already purchased!

Edited by Justiceforcedave
  • Like 1

Yes, you don't know it was sh*t drugs. They might have been really really unexpectedly good strong drugs.

Come on people, be careful with that stuff, no need to drop it all at once

• Like 1

13 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Ty Segall was the early afternoon secret gig.

Oh was it? Shite missed that.

14 hours ago, airwaves said:

Did a drugs test on them did you? 

Or how do you "know" it was drugs? 

We saw them taking it behind us before the gig, 5 members of staff, the head of security and 4 stewards told me after it was an OD.

How do you explain 3 friends hitting thr deck at the exact same time?

Agree though the EOTR response seemed very slow. Didnt some woman yell "what the f**k is going on?"

53 minutes ago, Llamasausage said:

Yes, you don't know it was sh*t drugs. They might have been really really unexpectedly good strong drugs.

Come on people, be careful with that stuff, no need to drop it all at once

Ha yeah maybe. Very good drugs then. 

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

A random bad: 

Not buying the gorky's zygotic mynci LP at the rough trade tent. 

It was a step 65 quid and I hesitated - gone on Sunday.

Oh god, which one was it????

12 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

The Good:
The music was AAAAAAACE! Managed a personal best for catching bands and saw 36 acts over the weekend. 

Somehow, we managed 60 😅. Paying for it now ...

Could do with a bit more fun Americana and a little less earnest singer songwriters. Garden Stage is mid enough till 7pm ish. Florence Adooni was fun mind you.

Both Jeffrey Martin and Sam Amidon had big crowds down on the Taking Heads on Saturday night. More of that please.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Oh was it? Shite missed that.

Yeah my partner was there and I heard it queuing for the Yo La Tengo q&a. Apparently he played 4 or 5 songs. I don't know how it would differ from the main show (I didn't go).

2 hours ago, carwynnen said:

Oh god, which one was it????

Gorky 5. I hesitated as I have the singles +carrying around expensive vinyl at a festival didn't seem so sensible. Regrets now though as I'll probably never see it again!

29 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Yeah my partner was there and I heard it queuing for the Yo La Tengo q&a. Apparently he played 4 or 5 songs. I don't know how it would differ from the main show (I didn't go).

Gorky 5. I hesitated as I have the singles +carrying around expensive vinyl at a festival didn't seem so sensible. Regrets now though as I'll probably never see it again!

Lovely record, and at least one of the less rare ones. I'm still waiting for a copy of The Blue Trees at a decent price (never gonna happen). Saying that, I just looked up Gorky 5 on Discogs and the only copy currently in the UK is at Rough Trade, who want £115 for it ... 🙄.

Still. may I tip my hat at your excellent taste!

• Like 1