Bonnie Prince Billie

staffop

10 hours ago, staffop said:

Just sublime. Anyone know the title of the song whose lyrics included something about 'you got yours, I got mine, come into the water, it's just fine'? I was in my cups so pretty hazy...

Nope but I'd like to know too, superb song

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Thanks.

I think the mass exodus and queues for Newdad show that this was also the majority opinion at the festival 

I think the 30 year career, consistently selling out tours and collaboration with an array of high profile, highly respected artists would say otherwise. 

But I suppose because you found him dull, you must be right and all of those people wrong.

15 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

I think the 30 year career, consistently selling out tours and collaboration with an array of high profile, highly respected artists would say otherwise. 

But I suppose because you found him dull, you must be right and all of those people wrong.

Wow I didn't realise a 30 year career and high profile collaborations all counted towards people at the festivals opinion on the set.

Really fascinating stuff. Maybe he could try and turn that into a large fanbase?

Screenshot_20240906_152518_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot_20240906_152509_Spotify.jpg

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

24 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Really fascinating stuff. Maybe he could try and turn that into a large fanbase?

Spotify numbers of course being an absolute failsafe judge of how well known and acclaimed an artist is. Master Peace has 640k monthly listeners, obviously he should have headlined instead.

Anyway, it's all Simon's fault for trying to get him as a dream headliner since it started, clearly he's out of touch with what the real people want from the festival. He should give in to market forces and sell up to Superstruct. Kasabian and Two Door Cinema Club to headline in 2026.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Fred West had a 30 year career aswell

6 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Wow I didn't realise a 30 year career and high profile collaborations all counted towards people at the festivals opinion on the set.

Imagine going to a wonderful festival like EOTR full of interesting, creative music. Then you come away and one of the first things you do is check the number of listens on Spotify. There is no word for the sadness I feel for you. I would though direct you to the Leeds/Reading festival which may appeal more to your tastes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well in fairness there is room for all sorts of tastes at End of the Road. You don't have to like Bonnie Prince Billy, although personally I thought he was wonderful. Just on a point of fact though, Spotify listeners are a particularly unreliable guide to Bonnie Prince Billy's popularity, given that the vast majority of his discography is not available there. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:24 PM, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Hang on, you're claiming 'NewDad' are bigger than Bonnie Prince Billy because ....... Spotify listeners? No mind to album sales, venue sizes, international reputation etc... What a strange bloke you are !

On 9/6/2024 at 10:23 PM, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Imagine going to a wonderful festival like EOTR full of interesting, creative music. Then you come away and one of the first things you do is check the number of listens on Spotify. There is no word for the sadness I feel for you. I would though direct you to the Leeds/Reading festival which may appeal more to your tastes.

Yeah 'bbc7bbcheaven' might want to find a new festival, seems to have a really odd attitude towards music

On 9/6/2024 at 3:10 PM, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

People are allowed a dissenting view, you know

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robith said:

People are allowed a dissenting view, you know

Of course they are and people are allowed to question the view. Especially when it is presented in such an abrasive, uncritical fashion.

Calling someone dull and wondering why people praise him is only ever going to shut down conversation or provoke a reaction.

I’m a fan (more for the Palace stuff than the recent records but still…), I have waited years to see him live, and to be honest I thought he was disappointing. Was surprised to hear people saying it was sublime. 

The songs from his most recent album sound like Cat Stevens and the better, old songs had the melodies “minimised” to the point that even New Partner didn’t sound at all like the classic tune it is. 

The thinness of his performance was highlighted by playing after such a thrilling, emotionally engaged set from the lovely Richard Dawson. I also thought Oldham seemed un-gracious in his dissatisfaction with the lighting, complaints about noise bleeding from another stage etc. That stuff killed the mood for me a bit.

Was I alone in these views?

Edited by edwinizza

7 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Of course they are and people are allowed to question the view. Especially when it is presented in such an abrasive, uncritical fashion.

Calling someone dull and wondering why people praise him is only ever going to shut down conversation or provoke a reaction.

His view point is pretty silly (and I'm no fan of BPB) but you've basically said he's not allowed to hold that view and you don't think he's welcome at the festival which is pretty crumby gatekeeping imo. Goes both ways

9 hours ago, robith said:

His view point is pretty silly (and I'm no fan of BPB) but you've basically said he's not allowed to hold that view and you don't think he's welcome at the festival which is pretty crumby gatekeeping imo. Goes both ways

Just to recap, you said people are allowed a dissenting view and I replied saying of course they are. So that is the opposite of saying he cannot hold a view. My question was regarding the way that view was expressed.

A reminder that this topic was not someone asking for opinions on BPB. It was someone looking for help to identify a song which they really enjoyed .

I think the kids call BBC7BBCHEAVEN's reply 'shitposting'. If you call my response gatekeeping then fine, I'll stop engaging here. I can't imagine enjoying the kind of forum where people reply to every mentioned band saying that they are dull and overrated. That seems like a dead end to conversation.

Edited by noisenoiseandmorenoise

11 hours ago, edwinizza said:

I’m a fan (more for the Palace stuff than the recent records but still…), I have waited years to see him live, and to be honest I thought he was disappointing. Was surprised to hear people saying it was sublime. 

The songs from his most recent album sound like Cat Stevens and the better, old songs had the melodies “minimised” to the point that even New Partner didn’t sound at all like the classic tune it is. 

The thinness of his performance was highlighted by playing after such a thrilling, emotionally engaged set from the lovely Richard Dawson. I also thought Oldham seemed un-gracious in his dissatisfaction with the lighting, complaints about noise bleeding from another stage etc. That stuff killed the mood for me a bit.

Was I alone in these views?

Yeah this seems fair. The way he had rearranged the songs does mean everything has a similar feel. 'i See A Darkness' for example did not reach the level of catharsis that I've heard live before. 

That said, I like Cat Stevens(!) and I thought the new songs were of a unexpectedly high standard (I immediate bought the album) so it didn't bother me.

I must have missed the complaints and I think he'd agree with you on Richard Dawson. He posted on Instagram saying he loved Richard's set and the festival.

• Like 1