How has it changed?

Block

Hi,

The last time we went to Glastonbury was 2010. Since then we've got married and had a family. We're hoping to go back next year if we can get tickets. We will be bringing our 3 girls along (13, 11 and 8 😎who have been to lots of smaller festivals but nothing like Glastonbury!

Can anyone tell me how the crowds have changed since 2010.  I can imagine it is much busier now as they have increased capacity, but does it still feel safe with kids in tow? Any other tips also much appreciated!! (My 11 year old is praying for Taylor Swift to be announced) 😵

• Upvote 1

Honestly, you'll be surprised at how little it's changed.  There are some new areas - principally Arcadia in its own field - and new venues in the SE corner, but the heart and bones of the fest remain the same as 2010.

Even the crowds aren't massively bigger - there are more tickets sold overall and more workers onsite - but if you navigate smartly you shouldn't be massively impacted by them.

That said, moaning about the crowds will now proceed to dominate this thread.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Block said:

Hi,

The last time we went to Glastonbury was 2010. Since then we've got married and had a family. We're hoping to go back next year if we can get tickets. We will be bringing our 3 girls along (13, 11 and 8 😎who have been to lots of smaller festivals but nothing like Glastonbury!

Can anyone tell me how the crowds have changed since 2010.  I can imagine it is much busier now as they have increased capacity, but does it still feel safe with kids in tow? Any other tips also much appreciated!! (My 11 year old is praying for Taylor Swift to be announced) 😵

Since you've asked specifically about crowds, there's quite a large consensus that it's far busier on site in the last few years. Obviously it depends who you're going to watch, but if you're wanting to see the most popular acts, being in a big crowd is inevitable.

1 hour ago, Block said:

Hi,

There will be crowds the same as there was in 2010. It just depends on who you are going to see whether you get caught up in them or not. Fortunately your girls are of a decent age but you will have to go at their pace. Just make sure you have meeting points explained to them on the wednesday and thursday and they know what to do if you do happen to get separated.

i think it'll be great with your kids along - i don't have kids myself but i have noticed at the festivals since covid that there are LOADS of families and kids there, like all over the place!

its changed in the way that it now feels like V festival instead of Glastonbury... but thats another thing...

🙂 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Since you've asked specifically about crowds, there's quite a large consensus that it's far busier on site in the last few years. Obviously it depends who you're going to watch, but if you're wanting to see the most popular acts, being in a big crowd is inevitable.

Issue was well explained on ra.co - not only the most popular acts, but on Wednesday and Thursday acts that barely fill a 200 capacity club in London were absolutely rammed.

Also, issues with capacity on one stage affect ALL the paths from other stages. When Sugababes ended in West Holts you could not move in the festival in many of the paths from behind, front or sides. It took me 20 minutes to get out from Other Stage to Pyramid as the Leftield path was full and that affected ALL other paths. It's that bad, yes.

All the big stages are very similar to 2010, you’d certainly know where you were! It’s the medium sized areas that have changed more, Silver Heyes, Avalon, Arcadia, sections of the SE corner, Greenpeace, some things have been and gone like Cineramageddon, and many areas are virtually unchanged like Theatre and Circus, Green Futures, etc.

3 hours ago, -TLR- said:

i think it'll be great with your kids along - i don't have kids myself but i have noticed at the festivals since covid that there are LOADS of families and kids there, like all over the place!

its changed in the way that it now feels like V festival instead of Glastonbury... but thats another thing...

🙂 

I can only assume you have never been to V - its a long way from there 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I can only assume you have never been to V - its a long way from there 

yeah, you're right - "wireless festival" would have been a better comparison...

(been to loads of V festivals and very much enjoyed them).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -TLR- said:

🙂 

there's always been loads of kids at Glastonbury, having the kidz field is a big sign to say kids are welcome. lots of kids have been brought up with Glastonbury, my son, now 26, has been loads of times.

6 hours ago, Block said:

Hi,

Its such a strange one because on first thought I think very little has changed, and that is true to an extent, but when I look back at 2010 there have been quite a lot of very gradual changes. Where Arcadia is now used to be camping, much of the configuration of the South East Corner, the removal of William's Green (was it still the Queen's Head in 2010??) and Woodsies (formerly JP tent) moving a bit are the biggest changes I can think of.

But then I think that the whole dance area looks way different now too, there's a whole new Other Stage and now there are two sound desks at the Pyramid instead of just one! I also imagine there were plastic portaloos last time you came, but there aren't any now, its just compost toilets and long drops.

You'll have a great time walking around and spotting the differences. Its familiar enough in that the general layout is the same as it always was, but there are so many subtle differences that will be more noticeable to you seeing them in one go, compared to those of us who have seen them gradually year by year. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

The crowd dynamics id say are a bit different these days ... around 2010 ish maybe slightly earlier there would be more self entertainment within campsites in the late nights / fires and chatting etc .... now loads more people are out and about and in some areas like the SEC and Arcadia it can feel much like a busy headliner in terms of crowd density . definately minimal number of campsite fires if any these days . Retro type acts also seem to have a massive pull and id advise getting there in plenty of time . There is more of an expectation that stuff will be provided and the general feeling is that its and people are much cleaner as weve all learnt that wet wipes arent the best way to keep clean 

4 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

portaloos

there's a man out there with the sh*t job of policing the mis-use of that trademarked word when the plastic portable toilets at a festival are not of that trademarked brand.

7 hours ago, Risingson2 said:

Issue was well explained on ra.co - not only the most popular acts, but on Wednesday and Thursday acts that barely fill a 200 capacity club in London were absolutely rammed.

Also, issues with capacity on one stage affect ALL the paths from other stages. When Sugababes ended in West Holts you could not move in the festival in many of the paths from behind, front or sides. It took me 20 minutes to get out from Other Stage to Pyramid as the Leftield path was full and that affected ALL other paths. It's that bad, yes.

Yeah, that all feeds into the same narrative that the festival has obviously become more crowded. Any half-known name on Wed or Thurs will be rammo beyond belief.

There was no halcyon time when they put name bands on on  the Thursday night and they weren't packed out.

2009 when they had East 17 on in the dance village on the Thursday it wasn't like one man and his dog showed up.

Likewise Maximo Park in the Queen's Arms.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/jun/25/glastonbury-2009-maximo-park?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

12 hours ago, Block said:

Hi,

I reckon there’s more kids now. They are well catered for. Just avoid the pinch points at busy times. They can be scary for kids. You might even consider worthy view preerected camping, if it’s within your budget. But the biggest hurdle will be getting the tickets. That’s the biggest change you will encounter! Best of luck, and hope your 11 year old prayers are answered😉😊

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There was no halcyon time when they put name bands on on  the Thursday night and they weren't packed out.

2009 when they had East 17 on in the dance village on the Thursday it wasn't like one man and his dog showed up.

Likewise Maximo Park in the Queen's Arms.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/jun/25/glastonbury-2009-maximo-park?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Think there have been several increases to the number of attendees since then haven't there, was the last 7000?

Also there are a much more marked proportion who consider it vital to arrive as early as possible.  There used to be plenty who couldn't get the time off, didn't want to sacrifice the holiday etc

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's true generally over a longer timeline, but not a change from 2010.

The "everyone must arrive first thing Wednesday" change can actually be put down to a specific year - 2009, seemingly because the festival started referring to it as a 5 day event and people unexpectedly took notice.