EOTR 2025 line-up speculation topic

And to start it off, Canela Party have made their annual ridiculously early first announcement:

canela-party-2025.png

Of the non-European acts Tropical f**k Storm were due to play Green Man in 2022 and pulled out for health reasons so I assume they're going there, and I can only think The Get Up Kids and Joyce Manor are at R&L, which leaves the exciting possibility of Tim Harrington climbing the Big Top supports.

My wishlist would be:

Yann Tiersen, Sigur Ros and Big Thief to headline 

Beth Gibbons would be great too.

And for the undercard:

Ishmael Ensemble

Yves Tumor 

Mount Eerie

Ka

Sorry

Emily Haines

Jenny Haval

Emily Wells

Cate le Bon

Gia Margaret 

Mary In the Junkyard 

Any chance of any of them?

5 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Fontaines DC, Big Thief and Fever Ray (surely) to headline. Mercury Rev Thursday.

Fontaines are doing Finsbury Park, so they're going to be this year's "why would they play a festival to fewer people than they're playing to themselves?"

I see Dana from Porridge Radio was there this year, they seem pretty likely. I'd be interested to see if Lucy Dacus or Julien Baker are around and how high up the bill they'd be post-Boygenius (Dacus was Garden sub last time)  Ezra Collective feel like an interesting headliner bet.=

10 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Fontaines are doing Finsbury Park, so they're going to be this year's "why would they play a festival to fewer people than they're playing to themselves?"

Righto, I'll swap them for Pavement. Though that's more of a wish than a guess.

Pavement in 2024 are the equivalent of going to see Freddie & The Dreamers in 1989. 

Floating Points was such a good last-minute addition, get some electronica to headline the Garden on Friday or Saturday, Caribou, Oneohtrix Point Never or Four Tet or something.

Self Esteem would be great, yeah, but what I'm really hoping for is a load of artists I've never heard of in January but who've become my new favourite thing by September. And no f**king heritage acts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

How are we defining heritage acts? Genuine question.

I believe Mardy is referring to acts who have maybe reformed but aren't releasing/playing any new music and just trading on nostalgia

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, robith said:

I believe Mardy is referring to acts who have maybe reformed but aren't releasing/playing any new music and just trading on nostalgia

Well, EOTR doesn't really book those anyway, in fact I think Simon has said he wants acts that have something ongoing/new to showcase (yes, including Pixies, they'd just released an album)

4 minutes ago, robith said:

1 minute ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Well, EOTR doesn't really book those anyway, in fact I think Simon has said he wants acts that have something ongoing/new to showcase (yes, including Pixies, they'd just released an album)

Yeah, I thought that was it. I wouldn't want EotR to turn into a nostalgia fest either, but I can't help wondering if Slowdive and Pixies are much "better" in that regard. Yes, they have released new material, but (and I'm saying this about Pixies, didn't see Slowdive) does playing a 90s set with one or two from the (not very good) new album make them not heritage? 

8 hours ago, Mardy said:
3 hours ago, Yoss said:

yes!

Self Esteem would be great, yeah, but what I'm really hoping for is a load of artists I've never heard of in January but who've become my new favourite thing by September. 

Well yes, I think we're all hoping for that. Doesn't make for a very engaging lineup speculation thread though.

10 hours ago, Mardy said:

Pavement in 2024 are the equivalent of going to see Freddie & The Dreamers in 1989. 

Floating Points was such a good last-minute addition, get some electronica to headline the Garden on Friday or Saturday, Caribou, Oneohtrix Point Never or Four Tet or something.

Self Esteem would be great, yeah, but what I'm really hoping for is a load of artists I've never heard of in January but who've become my new favourite thing by September. And no f**king heritage acts.

Four Tet far too big for Garden - possibly even for Woods!

OPN wrong vibe for Garden but might be fun in the Cornelius slot - last night in Big Top type thing..

2 hours ago, accordionandvoice said:

Four Tet far too big for Garden - possibly even for Woods!

OPN wrong vibe for Garden but might be fun in the Cornelius slot - last night in Big Top type thing..

I could see OPN on the garden no problem. Four Tet Woods Saturday night would be banging.

Mercury Rev due a return? new album is a real grower, wasn't sure at first but can't stop playing it now

16 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

How are we defining heritage acts? Genuine question.

For me, it's about relevance. The Pixies may well be recording and releasing new music, but nobody really genuinely gives a f**k about the new stuff. Everybody knows their peak is well behind them. Same with the Mary Chain, same with Pavement.

I'm as guilty as anybody else for the occasional nostalgia gig, I loved Pulp's reunion last year, and went to see the Pet Shop Boys at the ROH a month or two back, but I firmly believe EOTR is not the place for it. It really negates from the whole thing when there are all these urgent, vibrant, exciting new acts and everybody is like 'Yay, the PIxies'

(incidentally, Pavement in ?2011? or so at Brixton was one of the gigs that turned me so against this sort of thing. Was dreadful, truly an abysmal gig where it was so clear they were just there for the cash)

16 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Yeah, I thought that was it. I wouldn't want EotR to turn into a nostalgia fest either, but I can't help wondering if Slowdive and Pixies are much "better" in that regard. Yes, they have released new material, but (and I'm saying this about Pixies, didn't see Slowdive) does playing a 90s set with one or two from the (not very good) new album make them not heritage? 

40% of Slowdive's output has been since 2017. They're actually mad big on tiktok which is very amusing to me, so they feel really contemporary even if they started a while ago.

That Pixies set though was an atrocity, in my humble opinion and the kinda thing that should be avoided, and I think mostly what inspires Mardy to say that from the chats I've had with him

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

(incidentally, Pavement in ?2011? or so at Brixton was one of the gigs that turned me so against this sort of thing. Was dreadful, truly an abysmal gig where it was so clear they were just there for the cash)

Christ, those Pavement shows were abysmal weren't they? I went twice, what a loser.

When I had a permanent desk at work as a motivational tool, I kept the Pavement ticket pinned there with a little note above it "be careful what you wish for"

• Like 1

I think I'm in the minority of really enjoying the show I went to on that tour. Bearing in mind I had also seen them on the Terror Twilight tour.

Haven't caught any of the current reunion shows, but I gather they're a more joyous affair. I will go against the grain here and welcome them to EOTR, there is room on the bill for one heritage act out of 90+, so long as the other headline slots are given to up and coming artists