EOTR 2025 line-up speculation topic

14 minutes ago, robith said:

When I had a permanent desk at work as a motivational tool, I kept the Pavement ticket pinned there with a little note above it "be careful what you wish for"

This has absolutely made my day. Can't overstate how much I love it.

EOTR went through a phase of getting older acts to do a mid afternoon slot didn't they? sort of like a budget version of Glastonbury's legend slot. Van Dyke Parks (who was absolutely abysmal), Richard Thompson, Roy Harper.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

EOTR went through a phase of getting older acts to do a mid afternoon slot didn't they? sort of like a budget version of Glastonbury's legend slot. Van Dyke Parks (who was absolutely abysmal), Richard Thompson, Roy Harper.

Van Dyke Parks abysmal!? Strange surprise! He was absolutely phenomenal at Latitude 2012, one of the best live performances I've ever seen

8 hours ago, Mardy said:

For me, it's about relevance. The Pixies may well be recording and releasing new music, but nobody really genuinely gives a f**k about the new stuff. Everybody knows their peak is well behind them. Same with the Mary Chain, same with Pavement.

Point taken. But I think the "peak behind them" line has been well and truly crossed. If an act has been around for a few decades, as many past EotR acts have, people will inevitably want to hear the stuff they made their name with. And if it's a choice between that or an act that just doesn't have the profile to draw an audience to the main stage (thinking Unknown Mortal Orchestra here), then I'd go for Pavement any day. 

What I'm really saying, albeit in a slightly quieter voice, is that I still want Pavement.

The heritage thing - each case on its merits. It's easier to know it when you see it than it is to put a firm definition on it. Pixies definitely fitted that category, so did St Etienne playing Fox Base Alpha. Slowdive less so, imo - even if, tbh, I don't think their new and recent material would have garnered much attention at all without their legacy.

27 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

If an act has been around for a few decades ... people will inevitably want to hear the stuff they made their name with.

I'm pondering that - again each case on its merits, I don't think it's always true.

I think I may have annoyed a friend by declining their suggestion of going to see Flaming Lips doing a Yoshimi anniversary gig next year, even though it's a fine album and, in the past, Flaming Lips probably did the best live set I've ever seen. Given that he rarely complains when I drag him along to all manage of gigs by obscure unlistenable bands this seems pretty churlish on my part, but I'm just not sure I can bring myself to go to an anniversary gig. Depends though. Maybe if I'd never seen them back in the day I'd have been more interested.

8 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The heritage thing - each case on its merits. It's easier to know it when you see it than it is to put a firm definition on it. Pixies definitely fitted that category, so did St Etienne playing Fox Base Alpha. Slowdive less so, imo - even if, tbh, I don't think their new and recent material would have garnered much attention at all without their legacy.

I'm pondering that - again each case on its merits, I don't think it's always true.

I think I may have annoyed a friend by declining their suggestion of going to see Flaming Lips doing a Yoshimi anniversary gig next year, even though it's a fine album and, in the past, Flaming Lips probably did the best live set I've ever seen. Given that he rarely complains when I drag him along to all manage of gigs by obscure unlistenable bands this seems pretty churlish on my part, but I'm just not sure I can bring myself to go to an anniversary gig. Depends though. Maybe if I'd never seen them back in the day I'd have been more interested.

I'm going to Flaming Lips, for the show really. I'd go whatever they were playing. I don't even think Yoshimi is that great an album. With Pavement, I haven't seen them since the days of Gary Young (RIP). I am under no illusion that it would be the same, and I wouldn't care if they only played new stuff (which I know they wouldn't, even if they had any). Just a key band for me.

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

But, like, why not...? They're still an active band, they're playing a certain set of songs. It will be a great set, as would any Flaming Lips set. An album isn't lost to the ether just because it's old...

As for the claim people make about acts "just doing it for the payday" - yeah that's literally the point of touring, every gig is for the payday if you're a professional musician.

Would be odd for an iconic group to not play tunes from one of their best known albums seeing it is, yknow, their job

8 hours ago, accordionandvoice said:

As for the claim people make about acts "just doing it for the payday" - yeah that's literally the point of touring, every gig is for the payday if you're a professional musician.

I think the claim focuses on the "just". I like music for its creative energy and I'm not very interested in going to see music - even music I like(d) - when that's long gone. (That's not the case for Flaming Lips though, you're probably right there.)

But even leaving out the word just that statement isn't true - if you're seeing bands at the lower end of EotR undercard level then you're seeing some people who are not full-time professionals, have other jobs, and are making music for the love of the music while earning more-or-less nothing from it.

12 hours ago, accordionandvoice said:

Would be odd for an iconic group to not play tunes from one of their best known albums seeing it is, yknow, their job

That just makes me think of that clip of Dylan fans from 1965 moaning because he's gone electric and dismissing it all as shallow trite pop music, not like the deep folk stuff he was playing before.

I think the artist has one responsibility only - to follow their muse. They don't owe me, or the audience a goddam thing, and if they are content to roll out the old hits to keep the punters satisfied, that's up to them, but it sort of diminishes them, and their work, in my eyes. You're then shifting from artist into entertainer.

But as Yoss so rightly says, you know it when you see it, rather than broad stroke definitions.

• Like 1

pixies, mary chain, slowdive, spiritualized, stereolab, teenage fanclub, st etienne; you can argue all these have made new stuff but lets face it they are a bit of nostalgia. I reckon EOTR pulls it off without becoming 'one of those' festivals. None of them are that big really, normal people have not heard of slowdive, its not exactly britpop. There is space for this with all the rest because the rest is so diverse.

So then, what just slightly under the radar yet hugely influential 80's / 90's moment of heritage would you like to see at EOTR?

I always have a good time at EOTR, I trust them on the line-up, won't bother to speculate.

Besides I cannot add anything better than has already been mentioned on this thread already 🙂

I'd like to see Waxahatchee there. I've no idea if she is big enough to headline Woods or Garden, but her latest album is not just my album of the year but also my favourite album of the last 5-6 years. 

Other acts I'd like to see (not headline):

Withered Hand (either solo or with Kathryn Williams)

Laura Cantrell 

The Rural Alberta Advantage 

Bob Mould

Edited by Punksnotdead

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'd like to see Waxahatchee there. I've no idea if she is big enough to headline Woods or Garden, but her latest album is not just my album of the year but also my favourite album of the last 5-6 years. 

Other acts I'd like to see (not headline):

Withered Hand (either solo or with Kathryn Williams)

Laura Cantrell 

The Rural Alberta Advantage 

Bob Mould

Bob Mould yes please 

I guess.. what's the issue with a little nostalgia? Le Guess Who is maybe the most radical and forward thinking music festival in Europe but it is there that I've seen Vashti Bunyan, ESG, The Raincoats, etc... Look at Big Ears Festival, maybe the premiere avant-garde festival in the US, filled with legends. Just cos something's old - it can still be good and doesn't need to be a wash-up! This is from someone who is otherwise intensely focused on contemporary leftfield stuff..

Anyways. Heritage - Annette Peacock doing a late night Big Top? Tortoise headlining Garden?  Milton Nascimento and Lô Borges getting together to do Clube da Esquina on the Woods stage? Prefab Sprout doing the impossible and reuniting to headline the Woods?