Attending gigs solo

efcfanwirral

Wow, that's harsh. Me and my other half have a child, so we sometimes take turns going out to gigs and stuff on our own (because we don't have friends, apparently). It'd be awful if something like that happened to him. I mean, can someone be detained like that for no reason? Horrible if true.

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That's just nuts. Have the band had some issues with audience members that has brought this on?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Got to assume there's maybe a stalker or something 

My assumption is that its down to their audience being predominantly female, they must've said men make them feel uneasy. I guess their gigs need to be even more of a "safe space" than some others so its probably just being over cautious to protect their core audience. 

I had a ticket to a TLDP performance and signing at Rough Trade East a while ago, and in the end decided not to go because  I was aware of their fanbase and thought it might have been weird for a late-40s bloke to turn up, particularly given the size of the venue. My daughter went instead, and fitted in a lot better than I would have done.

But you've got to make this kind of stuff clear in advance. TLDP have a lot of young female fans and I appreciate they have to make their concerts safe spaces for them, but if doing so means making the concerts hostile environments for men - which might be the best option, I've absolutely no idea - men need to be told about it before they buy tickets and turn up to be made to feel unwelcome and creepy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Looother said:

I had a ticket to a TLDP performance and signing at Rough Trade East a while ago, and in the end decided not to go because  I was aware of their fanbase and thought it might have been weird for a late-40s bloke to turn up, particularly given the size of the venue. My daughter went instead, and fitted in a lot better than I would have done.

But you've got to make this kind of stuff clear in advance. TLDP have a lot of young female fans and I appreciate they have to make their concerts safe spaces for them, but if doing so means making the concerts hostile environments for men - which might be the best option, I've absolutely no idea - men need to be told about it before they buy tickets and turn up to be made to feel unwelcome and creepy.

I think it does work both ways. I'd like to see them own it, instead of asking venues to screen people. Their music is about feminist empowerment so it wouldn't be unreasonable to say "until men can behave, no lone men or groups of men will be allowed into our gigs". 

Equally, I think people need the sort of judgement and awareness you have. I'm considering not going to see Pale Waves at Neighbourhood next weekend, even though I'll be with my girlfriend, because I frankly know I'm not wanted there, and can't be doing with this attitude of "you can't stand there" etc that comes with gigs like that. 

On that note, I think Neighbourhood will regret putting Corella, a lad band, on before Pale Waves!!

I was at their in Norwich on Friday, there was a wide range of ages in attendance and there was no apparent signs of men being pulled over/checked on arrival, I can't seem to see it happening anywhere else on the tour either 

Edited by Chapple12345