Attending gigs solo

efcfanwirral

f**king hell dodged a bullet there. sold my tickets a few months ago as im heading off travelling but had tickets to see TDLP in leeds solo. im brown too so id prob be taken to an even darker room and searched more thoroughly. 

14 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

f**king hell dodged a bullet there. sold my tickets a few months ago as im heading off travelling but had tickets to see TDLP in leeds solo. im brown too so id prob be taken to an even darker room and searched more thoroughly. 

Waterboarded.

Only let out if you can sing the first verse of Sinner on one breath.

Edited by Superscally

Seen them quiet a lot although in small venues before they got big. Seemed to me they had a good mix of fans. They had a small hard core elite fans in vintage cloths and feathered hats, they come across as a Little snooty. The rest just seemed like good decent people better then you get at most gigs. Can say I don’t think I ever saw any wronguns of any sort.

I wonder if there popularity has now attracted a much younger fan base then they used to have and also some not so nice types.

I seen them a few times before they released anything. I would struggle to name their songs or members names. I like music and have zero interest in peoples names, views, fav colours etc. I think I would fail any test. I doubt singing the chorus to Nothing Matters would go down to well with security to prove I’m a fan. So I do remember one song title at least.

From the gigs I have been to they seem an inclusive bunch and would be surprised if it’s something they pushed to happen.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The naming songs/albums thing is so f**king snobbish. It's one of the worst parts of music fandom circles. It's happened to me a couple of times. I once had my Wu-Tang t-shirt on and a waiter at a bar saw it and started going off about how great they were and what my favourite songs were. I'm a huge fan, but my brain just doesn't remember names very well. It's the same with my hometown and streets/roads, I just don't seem to know where anyone is talking about, lol.

This would be me. I go to a lot of gigs solo. And if you put me on the spot and ask me to name a song my brain will go blank. Like when I come home from Glasto and everyone at work asks who did I see, I couldn't name a single band.

I don't think anybody here is against making gigs a safe space for all, but people in this thread having a go at the guy for complaining about it on Twitter is a bit misguided. If it happened to you and you were funnelled off to the side and forced to answer questions you'd prob all have something to say. By the sounds of things I don't think they carried it out very well with any explanation as to what was going on.

2 hours ago, monday said:

This would be me. I go to a lot of gigs solo. And if you put me on the spot and ask me to name a song my brain will go blank. Like when I come home from Glasto and everyone at work asks who did I see, I couldn't name a single band.

I don't think anybody here is against making gigs a safe space for all, but people in this thread having a go at the guy for complaining about it on Twitter is a bit misguided. If it happened to you and you were funnelled off to the side and forced to answer questions you'd prob all have something to say. By the sounds of things I don't think they carried it out very well with any explanation as to what was going on.

Catch me on a bad day and I'd struggle with the names of my immediate family

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The naming songs/albums thing is so f**king snobbish. It's one of the worst parts of music fandom circles. It's happened to me a couple of times. I once had my Wu-Tang t-shirt on and a waiter at a bar saw it and started going off about how great they were and what my favourite songs were. I'm a huge fan, but my brain just doesn't remember names very well. It's the same with my hometown and streets/roads, I just don't seem to know where anyone is talking about, lol. 

Anyway, the waiter saw that I was wavering to name anything other than the most well-known one, and sarcastically said something like, "Come on man, you've got a Wu-Tang tee on, you've got to know their music!", calling me out in front of my friends. Proper lame behaviour. Needless to say, he did not get a tip from us.

Encyclopedic knowledge of an artist, their collaborations, the producers, where they recorded it, when it was released, who the artist is singing about, what clothes they were wearing during their acceptance speech for any award is not a pre-requisite to being able to like an artist. Absolutely detest it.

I'm exactly the same.  Even with albums I've listened to for hours on loop, I'll struggle to recall track names of songs I like once some time has passed.  Play me the first couple of notes of the song though and it will wake my ageing memory and I'll remember all the words! 

Also, the waiter sounds like a c**t.  Why do waiters insist on saying sh*t that will massively reduce the amount of their tip or chance of getting a tip at all?!

Speaking as a mid-40s male solo gig goer...

Want to make gigs safer for women? Great. Too much nonsense, groping in crowds, dodgy hand placements while crowdsurfing and generally nasty behaviour by dickheads.  Down with that sort of thing.

Operating a security procedure to make that happen? Fine.

Want to have a chat with me on my way in while explaining why you're doing it, what the impact is, and what it is you expect to glean from this conversation? No problemo.

Start asking me what my favourite songs are and whether I can name the singer's cat? Less cool.  I've been known to go to a lot of gigs based on having heard a single song on the radio a few times, given an album one spin to see if I like the vibe, and then using gigs to discover bands in more depth because, shock horror, I like live music as a concept and not just a way to see my favourite band in the flesh. It's a hobby and passion in and of itself.

Pull me aside from the queue, not tell me what's going on or why you're doing it, ask me a sh*t ton of questions on the premise that I might be a pervert? f**k you, f**k your venue, and f**k the horse you rode in on. Get your security and venue staff to be better at working with your customers and actually identifying and paying attention to crowd risks and troublemakers instead of just standing there getting paid to wear black and look menacing, and having Monkey Dust's Peadofinder General working your front door.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 6

Also, if you are one of those dickheads doing creepy things at gigs then guess what? f**k you as well.

And if you're with them at the time, call them out on it. Possibly by means of a big old slap upside the heid. And if your mate's a wrongun, get another mate.

If you don't know them but see it? Alert security. Get these twats out of our gigs.

This all vexes me on several levels.

Edited by Quark

3 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

I think a lot of people would walk out and ask for a refund after treatment like that (not sure what the likelihood of getting the refund would be in that situation though).

Strangely in this situation - by presumably complete coincidence the concert was cancelled a few hours later, and now the rest of the tour has been as well. So everyone is (or should be) getting a refund anyway.

But yeah it'd be pretty dodgy ground if that hadn't happened.

4 hours ago, incident said:

Strangely in this situation - by presumably complete coincidence the concert was cancelled a few hours later, and now the rest of the tour has been as well. So everyone is (or should be) getting a refund anyway.

But yeah it'd be pretty dodgy ground if that hadn't happened.

Oh right, so they endured the abuse and then got told to piss off anyway? 🫣 Poor people.

48 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Find The Last Dinner Party washing their hands of the situation with a statement saying it was on the venue security and didn't come from them very hard to believe. A policy that invasive surely would have needed the artists express sign off. 

There certainly would have been *something* from the band that triggered this, but they may not have known all the specifics of how it was being handled.

I can easily imagine them telling the venue something like "We've had some instances of blokes acting inappropriately, so could you ask security to try and keep an eye out for anyone suspicious?". Then security come up with the clumsy and ineffective implementation, without the details being fed back to the band.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

There certainly would have been *something* from the band that triggered this, but they may not have known all the specifics of how it was being handled.

I can easily imagine them telling the venue something like "We've had some instances of blokes acting inappropriately, so could you ask security to try and keep an eye out for anyone suspicious?". Then security come up with the clumsy and ineffective implementation, without the details being fed back to the band.

Yeah that's how I read it, which is why my ire is more directed at the venue & security than the band. At the same time the band will likely have had some input, so they (and others) prob need to think a bit more about how they put concerns over.

From the limited amount I've looked on twitter this does seem to have been an excuse for people to pile on the band, more industry plant posh band nonsense. No-one's really coming out of any of this smelling of roses.

(I will caveat this by confessing that the description of them as the St Trinians house band made me chuckle, purely as a descriptive image)

• Upvote 1