Down Under - AU/NZ Artists

NorthernSoul52

Not sure where to open this conversation, but struck me last week on the way back from Pond.

Spent a bit of time in Australia and New Zealand last year, and fell for a few artists that never really had a footprint over here, from what I can gather.

A friend I made on my travels was down in Wollongong the other night for Cold Chisel's reunion warm-up show, a tour that is strangely wrenching to miss.

Throw in Crowded House, Pendulum and Stand Atlantic this year, and I've been enjoying my acts from Down Under.

So in that spirit - who else should I check out that I've possibly missed from AU/NZ? And who would be a good shout for the farm itself?

I went to see Battlesnake last night.

Theatrical/comedy metal but excellent musicians with decent tunes. I always think the band has to have the chops or the joke wears off pretty quickly.

Anyway, a really entertaining night, if you like that sort of thing, they have a few dates left on the tour.

20241002_220042.thumb.jpg.3d31e5493de4fc232da53010d42422a4.jpg

20241002_223118.thumb.jpg.3539f146f84c7b7c398444f70449452e.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I went to see Battlesnake last night.

Theatrical/comedy metal but excellent musicians with decent tunes. I always think the band has to have the chops or the joke wears off pretty quickly.

Anyway, a really entertaining night, if you like that sort of thing, they have a few dates left on the tour.

20241002_220042.thumb.jpg.3d31e5493de4fc232da53010d42422a4.jpg

20241002_223118.thumb.jpg.3539f146f84c7b7c398444f70449452e.jpg

Ach, that's annoying. On my patch this weekend, but I'm down south for the NFL.

Off the top of my head I'd check out Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, The Beths and The Goon Sax for some good guitar based indie.

RBCF are one of my favourite bands since I discovered them.

EDIT: Turns out Goon Sax split in 2022. Finger on the pulse me 😂

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

I would highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend checking out Melbourne's finest band... 

Tism (This is Serious Mum). They've been around since 1982 and just returned after a 20 year absence. You'll either totally get them or not. But anyone I've personally recommended them to ended up loving them (personal friends). Very entertaining, their wild shows are WILD. They kept their identify a secret for years but turned out two of them were school teachers. Very articulate and too clever by half. Offensive, bizarre. Catchy songs. The RHCP threatened to kill them if they ever met due to the song 'He'll Never be an Old Man River' due to the River Phoenix reference. Lots of videos etc out there, they're also streaming and have a brand new album out tomorrow. 

image.jpeg.701dab9ea9b881ec1fe24ee0e372d6a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.934754d0f9ef72183f40b676884af099.jpeg

Banjo Paterson-Lakes (AKA This Is ...

The Lucksmiths are great great (now defunct) band from Australia, in the vein of the stuff @Quarkmentions. Only seems to be live stuff on youtube, but I'd recommend the album 'Warmer Corners', it's probably on your streaming site of choice.