Down Under - AU/NZ Artists

NorthernSoul52

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

I was going to mention Amyl.  Forgot about Courtney, but for some reason she never really clicked with me.

Courtney B was great for a while, but it's been diminishing returns since about 2017. Last good thing she did was that live version of Nameless, Faceless with Kim and Kelly Deal (and that's mainly cos of the unfettered joy of the Deal sisters, having an absolute blast). But record wise, long time since she's done anything essential.

38 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

How on earth has this thread existed for 2 hours without the Gizz being mentioned?

@Quark recommendation of The Beths seconded here!

Was thinking the same. Pretty much the best band about at the moment.

The Chats are fun.

A lot of landfill indie down under at the moment though. Any c**t who looks like an extra from Home & Away getting a record deal.

• Upvote 1

My favourite band in the world is The Cat Empire.

They are incredible live and the recent line-up rejig has added a whole new energy. They tour pretty much every year and always visit the UK. 

I love them.  

1 hour ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I saw both The Avalanches and Parcels at Tempelhof in 2022 and they were both really good. Would be fantastic additions to any Glasto lineup. 

Have either ever played?

I saw The Avalanches support Public Enemy in Sydney, 1998. They were terrible, like a bad version of the Beastie Boys.

Then they released that album.....

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

You'll probably remember Jet (I'm going to see them do Get Born in full next week!) and Empire of the Sun

I love DMA's, but I doubt they go down too well round these parts

Also The Naked and Famous and The Beths

Good shout on Empire. And I don't mind DMAs!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good shout on Empire. And I don't mind DMAs!

I think DMA's association with the Oasis/Courteeners crowd puts a lot of people off them, but I don't think they're really like that, especially on later albums (not that I see it as a bad thing, but after their first album it was all really different)

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Was thinking the same. Pretty much the best band about at the moment.

The Chats are fun.

A lot of landfill indie down under at the moment though. Any c**t who looks like an extra from Home & Away getting a record deal.

Yeah, they’re among the most interesting bands around at the moment. Don’t know if every last thing is a hit, but far more hits than misses, and when you release everything that ever occurs to you, I guess that’s the way it goes. Spectacularly good live.