Down Under - AU/NZ Artists

NorthernSoul52

19 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So who’s likely or has played Glastonbury as this is where the topic has been placed 

I watched Empire of the Sun in 2010 headlining the Park stage, and The Naked and Famous in 2011 on the Other. Both great shows.

Really hoping for DMA's to get a chance to play, they've only done it once back in 2016 as the William's Green Thursday band, so they've never played a proper announced slot

33 minutes ago, Don1 said:

Went to a Gang Of Youths gig in London just after covid restrictions were lifted and it was full of mullets and tashes. So they do have a large 'home' following.

I assume that's what drives these things. Holding out for a Cold Chisel run, but... hard to say. Ian Moss has been over twice to tiny venues in the last few years, and Barnes occasionally does a solo show or two, but the last time they came - playing on Hard Rock Calling, of all things - believe they downgraded their O2 Apollo show in Manchester to the Ritz due to sluggish sales.

(Before my time, sadly.)

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

I do wonder when New Zealand and Australian bands play over here, especially in London, just how many new fans they are picking up and how many are Kiwis and Aussies living over here (or people like me who've lived over there)

The opposite is also very true, with big bands from the UK playing tiny venues over there, often to packed crowds of almost entirely british/irish accented people. I saw all sorts of bands there at some indoor back bar room gigs, including Muse in about 2000, primal scream in the same month, and both in front of perhaps 200 tops.

The music scene in Melbourne is great - there's always something happening and its not hard to find at all. God, i miss living in Melbourne . . . . the music, the pies, the sunshine, the live sport, the trams, the dim sims at the south Melbourne market . . . 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

No mention of The Teskey Brothers yet? White boy soul and blues, and very good they are at it too.

Played The Other opposite Cat Stevens in 2023, would have been better placed on West Holts but they got a decent crowd, all things considered. 

17 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Big fan too. My housemate got me in to them when I lived in NZ. Managed to see them a few times but not since the line up changes. 

Don't think they have, which is odd as they seem to come to Europe most summers. Saw them a few times in New Zealand. Not sure who's still going out of these but would regularly see Salmonella Dub, Katchafire, Phoenix Foundation and Kora. Think Katchafire might have played Glastonbury. 

Another vote for The Beths too although never managed to see them live. The Teskey Brothers from Melbourne also good. Have seen them here before, don't think it was Glastonbury. Possibly Bearded Theory?

So they have played. Dunno how I missed that. Wonder where I was? Wasn't at Cat Stevens. Possibly on shift?

I saw Lime Cordiale supporting Fat Freddy's Drop in an all-Antipodean double-header a couple of years ago and both were excellent and would go down brilliantly at festivals. Well, perhaps not Download. Hiatus Kaiyote are inconsistent, but can be very good. Nakamarra isn't entirely representative but is a lovely song and this is a particularly lovely version of it: