Eminem to play

guypjfreak

18 minutes ago, CanWeRest said:

Argh. I'd hate it if Eminem headlines. I think people have gradually forgotten what a crappy person he is. Does the farm really want any association with him?

They book on popularity/musical appeal. They've had plenty of musicians/appearances with questionable bits of their past. 

31 minutes ago, JimboSlice said:

They book on popularity/musical appeal. They've had plenty of musicians/appearances with questionable bits of their past. 

They do and they have, but that might change over time. Whatever they said about the reasons for changing John Peel to Woodsies, the discussions about his past must have factored in. Could be a shift, especially in the modern world where behaviours and subsequent associations are called out a lot more.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

They do and they have, but that might change over time. Whatever they said about the reasons for changing John Peel to Woodsies, the discussions about his past must have factored in. Could be a shift, especially in the modern world where behaviours and subsequent associations are called out a lot more.

“Cancel culture” is in danger of significantly stifling the performing arts, especially stand up comedy. 

Have people lost the ability to recognise the use of stories to make people think and question? 

There are obviously steps beyond that (not to completely derail eminem chat) where balance is found. Eminem shouldn't be held in the same bracket as Gary Glitter or the bastard from Lostprophets for example. But like most things that are new, everyone gets a bit giddy and goes full throttle on it before it settles down a bit.

cancel culture I hate those words FFS .... everyone has a right to step away and refuse something they deem unacceptable .... for me id be nowhere near Eminem .... others the boundaries differ ..... dont think thats ever really changed although the knowledge of some acts and what they got up to  is more prevalent than it was previously .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

“Cancel culture” is in danger of significantly stifling the performing arts, especially stand up comedy. 

Have people lost the ability to recognise the use of stories to make people think and question? 

if they don’t book him, they haven’t cancelled him - they just haven’t given him a platform.

It would be weird for the festival to chuck all their values out of the window and give him a platform, at the same time promoting equality and pride, providing safe spaces for women and LGBTQ+ venues. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Oh come on this is bollocks. There's a lot of high-quality stand-up out there that doesn't cross over into "Transgender people LOL" bits that even a lot of other stand-ups think is quite sh*t, and indeed a lot of comics still do borderline offensive stuff for lolz. I'm kinda bemused where this therefore turns it into a bit of a shouting match.

That, and a lot of those comics doing more controversial stuff haven't exactly been cancelled. Jimmy Carr makes offensive gags all the time but still sells out theatres, while for all I think Ricky Gervais' act has got quite boring with "Ha you're offended", his newly announced tour is probably going to sell rather well.

Edited by charlierc

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

There are obviously steps beyond that (not to completely derail eminem chat) where balance is found. Eminem shouldn't be held in the same bracket as Gary Glitter or the bastard from Lostprophets for example. But like most things that are new, everyone gets a bit giddy and goes full throttle on it before it settles down a bit.

sorry for double post, but I just wanted to add that just because Eminem hasn’t directly committed any heinous crimes (that we know of) he’s still an influencer and facilitator of such behaviour. 

How many thousands of teenage boys got his message that being homophobic or misogynistic was ok? He’s basically Andrew Tate from the 90’s/00’s.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Oh come on this is bollocks. There's a lot of high-quality stand-up out there that doesn't cross over into "Transgender people LOL" bits that even a lot of other stand-ups think is quite sh*t, and indeed a lot of comics still do borderline offensive stuff for lolz. I'm kinda bemused where this therefore turns it into a bit of a shouting match.

That, and a lot of those comics doing more controversial stuff haven't exactly been cancelled. Jimmy Carr makes offensive gags all the time but still sells out theatres, while for all I think Ricky Gervais' act has got quite boring with "Ha you're offended", his newly announced tour is probably going to sell rather well.

I also think that a lot of comedy fans really hate the Jimmy Carr/Ricky Gervais/Dave Chappelle type of stuff. Kinda feels like Ricky Gervais fans like Ricky Gervais rather than stand up in general. If you see what I mean.