NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Guest tHomBleached

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Streetfighter 4 arrived last night and - it's bloody awesome.

The arcade mode is pure Streetfighter, down to the map of the globe etc, etc. It's very easy to pick up and play - you can skip all the intros, there are very few loading screens. It's all good.

Online play really surprised me. I've probably had about 15 matches and not once was there even a hint of lag - very impressed. You get points for winning matches and lose points for losing matches, and there is a matchmaking system when you can fight people with similar points. This will come in handy once it's been live for a few weeks. There are still tossers who quit before they lose (see below) but all in all, a good online experience. Another good option is the challenge mode, when someone can challenge you to a game whilst you're in arcade mode.

There is another mode called Challenge Mode, in which you have to go through various stages with varying degrees of difficulty. It also acts as a training mode for any beginners.

It's a pretty tough game - I had a go on hard mode and it was solid. I'm not amazing at fighting games, but I'm not too bad at Streetfighter, but I did struggle to start with. Still, practise makes perfect. It's certainly not a breeze - the final boss in arcade mode (Seth) is a bastard who knows a combination of every other character's most annoying moves, so it's nice and satisfying when you beat him!! Some of the challenges are very tough as well.

Plus points:

The graphics. They are absolutely outstanding. I really wish I had a HD telly to fully appreciate them. The special finishing moves look gorgeous.

Nostalgic value - it really is a blast from the past, with all the old moves still executed in the same way, but somehow it doesn't feel dated (if that makes sense?). The snazzy new look and speed suit the current gen.

Playability - simply awesome.

Negative points:

The sound irritates me. The music in the xbox live lobby - even after a few hours - was VERY annoying. Also, the OTT American announcer saying stuff like 'Here we go - who will come out on top?' before each bout is unnecessary.

Twats on xbox live who quit the game if they lose the first bout. Unfortunately, this can't be stopped but it'd be nice if Capcom automatically awarded the poor sod left on their own with a win, and took points off the cheater.

Overall - a top, top game. I wasn't even that annoyed with the controller layout. It's not perfect, but it'll do - I'm not splashing out on an arcade stick but then again, I really don't think I need to. I'm sticking with the normal 360 controller.

I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10 and recommend it to anyone, especially fans of SF2. And CERTAINLY as it's under £30 on play and Amazon at the moment.

got my 3rd platinum trophy the other night for burnout paradise. great game, great fun online.

kind of sad though because i lost my bank card, my new one wont be through for another few days, meaning my pre-order of killzone wont work due to my card being stopped :P ill pick it up from game on the release date but i doubt ill get it for play's price.

loving fallout 3, hated it for the first 3ish hours of play but now im really loving it. not as great as oblivion though imo.

I echo everything that Langdale Wolf has said. If i wasnt so knackered last night it would have been a long session!

I dont have any problems with the controller at all though.

some more thoughts on Street Fighter.

It is really hard to block.

Seth is the WORST boss ever. Its like Capcom decided they had to make a Shang Tsung esque boss and fit him in the game somewhere. He's annoying to face, yet not as tough as Akuma (and presumably Gouken). I also dont know where he fits into the storyline. Or even if he does.

Crimson Viper is awesome.

The Spinnig Lariat effectively makes Zangief invincible.

for some reason Bison isnt amongst the best characters.

some more thoughts on Street Fighter.

It is really hard to block.

Seth is the WORST boss ever. Its like Capcom decided they had to make a Shang Tsung esque boss and fit him in the game somewhere. He's annoying to face, yet not as tough as Akuma (and presumably Gouken). I also dont know where he fits into the storyline. Or even if he does.

Crimson Viper is awesome.

The Spinnig Lariat effectively makes Zangief invincible.

for some reason Bison isnt amongst the best characters.

I agree with a lot of that.

Blocking isn't hard, it's just ineffective against some really tough moves which is fair enough.

Seth is a BASTARD. I really don't like him. The amount of times I've hit him with a full strength special move and he gets out of it. I loathe Seth! So, so frustrating. And what's with that 'tumble drier' move?! Have you found Akuma/Gouken? I have no idea where they are!

I really like Sakura - good dragon punch and is a lot quicker than both Ryu or Ken.

Haven't tried C Viper yet, and Zangief is good except trying to fight f**king Seth in which case he's crap because he's way too slow. Trying to react to that bastard teleport move when you're Zangief is nails.

My ten year old brother, who i OWN when playing, completed the game on Hardest with Zangief. I struggled last night to complete the game on easy.

I'm quite good with Sagat, and not to shabby with Ryu or Ken.

Unlocked so far: Sakura, Fei Long, Gen, Rose and Cammy. You have to unlock everyone else before you can unlock Akuma, Gouken and Seth. Think I've still got to complete it with Sakura to unlock Dan.

I really need to practice to master these super and ultra combos. Think I've done one so far.

I'm quite good with Sagat, and not to shabby with Ryu or Ken.

Unlocked so far: Sakura, Fei Long, Gen, Rose and Cammy. You have to unlock everyone else before you can unlock Akuma, Gouken and Seth. Think I've still got to complete it with Sakura to unlock Dan.

I really need to practice to master these super and ultra combos. Think I've done one so far.

So i 'm going to be seperated from my Xbox for six weeks as i have an astronomical amount of work to be getting on with. Decided to see if I could complete Call of Duty World at War for the first time. So i switch it, turns out I've been playing it on regular rather than recruit. No wonder it was harder than COD 4! Stormed through the last level without getting killed though. I thought "I'm actually pretty good". Decided to stick it on veteran and see if i could get some gamerpoints by rolling through some levels. Stupid idea. Stuck half way through the first level.

So i 'm going to be seperated from my Xbox for six weeks as i have an astronomical amount of work to be getting on with. Decided to see if I could complete Call of Duty World at War for the first time. So i switch it, turns out I've been playing it on regular rather than recruit. No wonder it was harder than COD 4! Stormed through the last level without getting killed though. I thought "I'm actually pretty good". Decided to stick it on veteran and see if i could get some gamerpoints by rolling through some levels. Stupid idea. Stuck half way through the first level.

Grabbed myself a bargain last week. Bought Gears of War 1 and 2 for £27. It was one of those bundle packs that's 'not to be sold seprately' :P Wasn't caring though cos GOW2 pre owned is still £30+

Not really played my xbox much though cos things have been a bit hectic lately :) Hopefully, i get more time to catch up on dead space and GOW1&2

I don't like veteran level.

A challenge is one thing, but pull-your-hair-out frustration is quite another, especially if it's caused by a CPU-controlled teammate pushing you into the line of fire!!

Respect to anyone who's done it on veteran, but I'm sticking to multiplayer - much more fun.