NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Guest tHomBleached

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i could just pay developers i would. The pricing of new games is ridiculous, the mark up by the time it reaches the store is massive. Its not about what people think the world owes them imo, more the freedom to access all the world has to offer on minimum wage. The monetary system isn't my fault, i just like games and have no money.
Edited by Purple Monkey

Call me a scab if you like, but I refuse to accept that £8 is fair market value for something I could obtain for £2 in an alternative, less environmentally friendly format. Equally I refuse to accept that the convenience warrants a fourfold increase.

Will it work on any version of the firmware? i have a mate with a pandora battery so i can get a downgrade but is it nessecary for the downloads on pspiso?
Edited by modey

i dont want to get into your argument, but £8 imo is a fair price, sure its over 10 years old, but it is a substantially longer and better game than all if the other ps store games. plus with it in a digital format, you can transfer it to a psp and play it anywhere. and disc versions of ff7 sell for over £10. i cant see the problem with an £8 price tag for a game of such quality. (although i would see a problem depending on other games in question, i.e mgs1 will be priced at £8, sure its brilliant but its definately not as long as ff7.)
Edited by beLIEveR

To clarify, I'm not talking about FF7. That's expensive but justified given its ongoing popularity. I'm saying that when the most successful game on Playstation (the second most successful console of all time... behind the PS2) is worth £8 via direct download, there is no way any Megadrive game can come close to that valuation, let alone most of them.

I remember Streets of Rage 3 being £59.99 RRP, and Virtua Racing costing a ludicrous £69.99.

Quite incredible looking back at it.

To clarify, I'm not talking about FF7. That's expensive but justified given its ongoing popularity. I'm saying that when the most successful game on Playstation (the second most successful console of all time... behind the PS2) is worth £8 via direct download, there is no way any Megadrive game can come close to that valuation, let alone most of them.

Bollocks.

If I think the price can't be justified, I will get hold of it for free. They could try to sue me, but given the proportion of software I pay for, I'm 99% sure they would fail. And if they did succeed, then given my ratio of legitimate software to illegitimate, I think they'd need to increase the UK's prison capacity to ~1 million.

I have a megadrive in my loft, and eight years ago I sold this game for £3. Now I could buy the cartriges for £1-2 without a problem. I can also buy PS1 games online for £3.50 (up to £8 for absolute classics like FF7, and I do understand that markup).

Call me a scab if you like, but I refuse to accept that £8 is fair market value for something I could obtain for £2 in an alternative, less environmentally friendly format. Equally I refuse to accept that the convenience warrants a fourfold increase.

Edited by Purple Monkey

You're not a scab at all, I'm actually with you on this. Like I said It's a bit of give and take but what I really should have said was that it should be looked at on a case by case basis. Downloading the latest stuff just because you "want it for free innit" is pretty contemptable and destructive and will only lead to things like publishers pushing for download-only distribution (then people will really moan when the likes of second-hand sales and e-bay stop driving the prices down and they end up being frozen at higher prices for longer periods of time - something which piracy only helps to exacerbate).

Piracy as you have described it (people getting the latest games off of whatever the 2009 version of KaZaa is) has lead to games being released with software that you cannot remove, even if you remove the game. In turn, it has resulted in me refusing to buy any such game. And I'm not the only one; Spore must have lost literally millions of sales as a result of SecuROM. And millions less than it deserved to lose, frankly, as it was a shit game bundled with software that is going to be declared illegal.

I'm surprised download only hasn't become the norm already. If you read the small print, the vast majority of games stipulate (in passive legal language) that you don't OWN the software, and by extension that you don't have the right to "redistribute it" (sell or copy).

Apparently the reason they stopped backward compatability was to make people rush out and buy the 60GB ones, to regain the sales lead from the XBox. It backfired badly though, because they didn't have the stock to meet demand. Now anyone who doesn't have a PS3 is extremely unlikely to bother, given the huge back catalogue of hidden PS2 gems, most exclusive titles going to the 360, and the wider appeal of the Wii.

Pretty ironic that the Playstation is going to die out, considering that the PS3 is technically the best console by a mile. Just goes to show power isn't everything.

Edited by Purple Monkey

It's like the Sega Saturn and arguably N64 all over again. Said the day I bought it that I bought PS3 over the 360 partly because I have an irrational hatred of Microsoft doing anything other than computers, but mainly because because it "should" become the best console.

I now say that it should have been the best console. This is probably the first time I've ever bought the "wrong" one. Okay, I did get the Megadrive over the SNES, but I maintain to this day that I was right. Games like Sonic, Shinobi, Buck Rogers, Budokan, F22 and the sports games blew almost everything Nintendo did out of the water.

yeah the next gen "wars" arent over, i really think ps3 could have a strong christmas, as long as they put a price drop and start advertising more. the ps3 has an amazing exclusive lineup for november, uncharted 2, ratchet & clank and gran turismo 5. along with multiplatforms like, MW2, assassins creed 2 and bioshock 2. its got to be hard to fail with a lineup like that.

yeah the next gen "wars" arent over, i really think ps3 could have a strong christmas, as long as they put a price drop and start advertising more. the ps3 has an amazing exclusive lineup for november, uncharted 2, ratchet & clank and gran turismo 5. along with multiplatforms like, MW2, assassins creed 2 and bioshock 2. its got to be hard to fail with a lineup like that.

I really don't believe it personally. GT is as big a game series as any other, but is it a console seller? Cross platformers aren't going to increase PS3's market share, which it unquestionably needs to do to justify the development costs.

In my mind the fatal blow came when signficant exclusive GTA content was released on the Xbox. I also believe that move will prove to be the beginning of a (relative) decline for GTA.

Edited by Greeny_Musicchild