Bob Dylan thread

sifi

How his name came up in a Dylan thread continues to baffle me!

Oh, that's easily enough answered. Whoever did it is an ignorant buffoon who knows not of what he posts. For example, he accusses Dylan of being "samey". The same Bob Dylan who was accussed of being Judas when he dramatically changed his sound from folk to rock n'roll.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the way that the band sound realy sloppy and unrehearsed. I like that the lead guitar is too loud and the everyone is out of time. I like that on some songs half the band seem to be playing 2 or 3 bars ahead of everyone else (on Highway and Bringing it all Back Home anyway)

I like that on some songs half the band seem to be playing 2 or 3 bars ahead of everyone else (on Highway and Bringing it all Back Home anyway)

I loved the story about when they recorded "Like a Rolling Stone", Al Kooper jumped on the organ and the sound was created because he didn't know the song and wasn't much of an organ player so was playing his part a few seconds behind the main piano part.

That song changed everything about pop music.

I loved the story about when they recorded "Like a Rolling Stone", Al Kooper jumped on the organ and the sound was created because he didn't know the song and wasn't much of an organ player so was playing his part a few seconds behind the main piano part.

That song changed everything about pop music.

that was the Blag of the century eh?!?

that was the Blag of the century eh?!?

I'd say so. A real bit of serendipity. But that's what you get with Dylan albums, gerat things created on the hoof, by chance. As you say technically it might sound a bit sloppy, but it's from the heart and it's with so much passion it's almost overwhelming. That's part of it's genius - y'know, writing the lyrics just before the song is about to be recorded.

I'd say so. A real bit of serendipity. But that's what you get with Dylan albums, gerat things created on the hoof, by chance. As you say technically it might sound a bit sloppy, but it's from the heart and it's with so much passion it's almost overwhelming. That's part of it's genius - y'know, writing the lyrics just before the song is about to be recorded.

i meant the keyboard 'player' sitting in the controll room and blagging his way onto the Organ. Must have been a gutsy fella :D

i actually think that Dylan intentionaly recorded the songs that sloppily. Its something Lennon did too (with his solo stuff)

1 take is all it takes. mistakes an' all. You get a much more organic human song which breathes and grows. I love the idea

Bob Dylan's voice makes me cringe.

Even when he sang in a completly different style like on Nashville Skyline.

There was a time when I couldn't get past the voice either, but to be honest the words transcend it.

Edited by sifimaster

his lyrics are simply better than those by .. other songwriters – better because they are more concentrated, more allusive, more memorable, more surprising, more risk-taking, more willing to engage with the whole range of human experience.

His lyrics are pretty okay-ish though. .

Then again there was his born again Christian period which, lets face it, was a bit crap

I quite liked Slow Train Comin'. Well, Precious Angel is a good song, and When You Gonna Wake Up too. It's not as preachy as I thought it might be, because he always used some religious imagery any way.

I've not heard the other two he did. I'm not a massive sound of Knopfler's guitar work.

ben_cosmia - I've not heard enough of Rufus Wainwright to make a judgement. I saw that he did an album of Judy Garland material. I'm sure that stands up as a great achievement. Worthy of mention in the same breath as a man who played songs to warm up a crowd before Martin Luther King made some speech about having a dream.

not enough to judge him, yet you do so in the very next sentence?

so basically, youve only heard about, not actually heard the judy garland concert. and im assuming the only songs you might have heard are hallelujah and across the universe. none of which have anything to do with his song writing.

have a listen to greek song, i dont know what it is, and between my legs to get an example of why he's such an amazing songwriter.

I've not heard New Morning yet, heard a few songs from it, but not the album yet. Tracks is up there, bloody magnificent, all the way through (except maybe Lily, Rosemary ....), but Idiot Wind, Buckets of Rain and Tangled up in Blue all took my breath away when I first heard them.

yeah but get a listen to the accoustic version of Lily Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts

Amazing.

here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYg7b091O8...feature=related

Edited by doe

Rufus Wainwrights cover of his dads song One man guy, is possibly my favourite song of all time. If Rufus Wainwright never produced another song just the fact that he added to that song is enough.

Now then back to Dylan. Which version of Girl from the north country be better, Freewheelin or Nashville Skyline? I have to err on the side of the Cashed up version, but then again I would, wouldnt I.

Rufus Wainwrights cover of his dads song One man guy, is possibly my favourite song of all time. If Rufus Wainwright never produced another song just the fact that he added to that song is enough.

didnt realise that was a cover.

thats one of my least favourite songs on his albums. funny that.

didnt realise that was a cover.

thats one of my least favourite songs on his albums. funny that.

He definitely makes it his own though, I realised quite late it was a cover, and listened to the original, which is is obviously also great. I think a cursory glance at it and its easy to think that its Rufus's comment on his own sexuality, but the lyrics pertain to the whole story of Loudon and and his relationship with Kate McGarrigle, I think it highligts if anything, Loudons selfishness. Poses is a great album, but for me that track exceeds anything else that Rufus Wainwright has produced before or since, and that is saying something.

Edited by PeterD

A tiresome, often used and ultimately wrong point. Dylan's music was even more revolutionary than his words and he is responsible for some of the finest melodies ever written - take Mr Tambourine Man for example.

they would be wonderful melodies.

if he could sing in tune.

Dylan is a wonderful poet. a less wonderful songwriter.

give me Cohen any day.

Last Dylan album i aquired was the Live at the Albert Hall 1966 with the famous "Judas!" heckle at the end of Ballad of a thin man before erupting into Like a Rolling Stone. Gives me a tingle every time.

Im a casual Dylan fan, i have 8 albums, there is so much still to explore.

Getting hooked on Neil Young is another seriously arduous task, my mate claims to have spent almost a grand on his material.