Cricket

greeneyes1980

congrats SA.

Deserve to win the series. Outplayed us in all areas. We don't deserve to be number one team in the world.

Wonder if that might be Strauss' last test match as captain? Think it might be time for a change. He's lost 6 of the last 10 matches and has hardly made a run in the process. He's certainly not getting any younger. Would like to see it given to Cook so he has a year to build up to the back to back ashes.

Problem is that the ECB will be worried about making it look like a victory for KP so I imagine they'll stick with him for India and then assess after that

Exactly. Which is why, unless he resigns, he (rightly) stays in the side.

There is no one as good as him let alone better than him to replace him. He's played a significant role in developing England into the side they are.

Losing a series to the worlds best side isn't a disgrace and shouldn't automatically be a pre-cursor for wholesale changes.

Kallis will go down in history as one of the greatest players ever let alone his generation. The bowling attack is the best in the world at the moment. Amla is in world class form. Smith, probably the captain of his generation. Rudolph and AVDB aren't bad either...

Strauss' performances may be a temporary loss of form - they may be a the sign of his age and permanent demise. He deserves the opportunity to prove the first scenario is true. Particularly as there is no one knocking on the door to replace him.

All IMHO of course!

I meant Bairstow for Prior's replacement. When Prior first came in it was for his batting but his keeping is now excellent.

Agree with pretty much what everyone's said. SA were the better team over the series and the better team overall. A year ago after the series against India we had a reasonable right to claim the rankings were accurate, but our display in Pakistan and how much we were outclassed this series has shown that to be a fallacy. SA's batting is leagues ahead of ours, their fielding was excellent, Smith's captaincy decisions were clever and assured and they've got the best bowling attack for sure.

I can't really fault our bowlers too much though, I doubt many other teams would have done as well against their batting lineup (1st Test aside), but our catching was poor for the first time in years, and our top order has been pretty poor this series. I know he's scored some runs, but Trott's play has really disappointed me, every time he's got out has been a stupid mistake, and he's run his partner out twice, which just shouldn't happen in test cricket. Excellent mid/lower order displays though. I know Taylor hasn't got high scores but the way he's played has impressed me, Bairstow's obviously been great this match, and Prior's been fantastic. The last innings aside, Broad's disappointed me, but Swann's looked good.

I think Strauss has earned the right to prove he can still do a job, both as captain and batting, particularly, as TGT says, there's no clear replacement as an opener.

One thing I've noticed this series is how badly breaks have affected us. So many of our wickets fell early in a session due to a stupid shot. Something to look at I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to see Strauss retire, but as long as it was his decision that's fair enough. I think whatever happened he had to do it on his terms, and I'm glad he didn't stay excessively long and get pushed.

Who'll be vice-captain now? Does anyone know?

And who's going to open? I'm guessing Joe Root will be given a chance, but it's a big decision to make, and a tour of India is a harsh baptism.

Sad to see Strauss retire, but as long as it was his decision that's fair enough. I think whatever happened he had to do it on his terms, and I'm glad he didn't stay excessively long and get pushed.

Who'll be vice-captain now? Does anyone know?

And who's going to open? I'm guessing Joe Root will be given a chance, but it's a big decision to make, and a tour of India is a harsh baptism.

I guessed Broad would be vice captain with him captaining the under 21 side, there are not a load of obvious candidates. I think Strauss did a great job as captain but at his age and current form, it was probably the right thing to do. I hope that this makes it easier to get KP back in the side, we need to look forward and not back.

I guessed Broad would be vice captain with him captaining the under 21 side, there are not a load of obvious candidates. I think Strauss did a great job as captain but at his age and current form, it was probably the right thing to do. I hope that this makes it easier to get KP back in the side, we need to look forward and not back.

I'm assuming Broad and Swann are the candidates. I know Swann's 3rd after Morgan in ODIs and T20s, and Broad's T20 captain and was U21. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything official.

I don't think Strauss' form is too bad, he's not prolific atm but he's still accumulated a fair few runs, particularly in the Windies series. He's often got in before getting out.

With KP from what I understand he seems to have more of an issue with his unpopularity compared to Swann rather than problems with Strauss directly. I hope he plays again, but it can't be on his terms. I think it'd be really bad for the team if we went out to India with 3 young, inexperienced batsmen as well, given we'll have a new opener. I think having a new opener, as well as Cook and Trott's recent poor form, guarantees only having a 4-man attack, even though we badly need a 2nd spinner on the subcontinent.

By broad I clearly meant t20 not u21. I think kp returning would be on the teams terms, unless they have a terrible tour to India he doesn't hold the cards.

As for the kp incident, a lot have said he gave some kind of inside information on how to get Strauss out. This sounds rubbish to me, these nations are so well prepared, they know the strengths and weakness of every member of the opposition.

As for the kp incident, a lot have said he gave some kind of inside information on how to get Strauss out. This sounds rubbish to me, these nations are so well prepared, they know the strengths and weakness of every member of the opposition.

I completely agree. There's not been any evidence towards that either, just speculation from what I understand.

Utter lunacy.

Pretty sure whoever is brought in will not open.

I'd guess the line up in India will look something like:

Cook

Trott

Bell

Taylor

Bairstow

Bopara/Morgan

Prior

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Panesar

Just can't see the ECB bringing in a young novice for a tour of the sub-continent which England will inevitably lose.

Far more likely is the back to back away and hone test series against the Kiwis.

One thing is for certain, the convicts (who are over next summer) are pleased - which goes to show what a bad mess the whole thing is.

KP really is.a w*nker - an extremely talented w*nker but a w*nker nonetheless

Frankly, I think Bopara and Morgan should be written out of the Test team now. They've both had good chances, and not taken them. We'd do better off either playing 5 bowlers if we make Trott an opener, or bring a young player in.

Sadly, I do think you're right that it'll look like that and we might get a new opener for the Kiwi tests.

I don't disagree in that they've hardly set the world alight - but if they are the next best...

I just don't think they've got the right mentality for Test cricket. Neither of them places enough value on their wicket. Bopara only ever makes a score, even in ODIs, if he's dropped twice before he gets to 20.

KP's motivation though is KP, not the team. Most of the time, the two share common goals so it's not an issue. Not always the case though.

The likes of a home series against Bangladesh don't motivate him like an ashes series does. The challenge (or lack of) causes him to not take it so seriously, play shots he ordinarily wouldn't, get out for much lower scores than he is capable of. Others, who have focus and concentration in their armoury, knuckle down and treat it as any other match.

In short, if KP thinks the team will win regardless of his score, he'll treat it as a bit of fun and not mind throwing his wicket away.

No reports on how the KP talks have gone yet.

Looks like England have sorted out ODIs - can't lose the series, but there's some idiots sending messages into the beeb about how Morgan's ODI form should give him another chance in the Test team. OK, he's a fairly talented aggressive batsman, but no Test mentality and a year of struggling form in Tests has to be sorted. Particularly as in the interview he gave upon being dropped he claimed he didn't need to change his style or mentality to bat in Tests.

Bopara showing again how carefree he is with his wicket. I've never seen anything from him to impress me apart from the occasional good bowling in limited overs.

For all the fact I criticise the choice to include all 3 of Cook, Bell and Trott - Trott in particular - in ODIs, he wouldn't have been as foolish with his wicket. Ducks for Morgan and Bopara. Hopefully that'll put to bed any claims either of them should get another chance in Tests any time soon...

I still don't get why bother picking both Patel and Bopara in ODIs... Neither of them strengthens the batting lineup enough to compensate fully for their bowling inconsistency (even if they've been good this series), and it basically means we've got 6 full-time bowlers and a very short batting lineup. Only these 2 and Patel left now, with 30 overs still to play through and get a score on the board. Looks like 2-2 for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Test squad for India announced. Headline of no KP, which isn't a surprise but suggests poor management to me. I'm sure they're trying to make a statement about 'team comes first' and showing it wasn't just Strauss, but I made the point a couple of pages back about it being a bad idea to let popularity dictate position in the team, and I'm worried by this.

Still, the far bigger news to me is Morgan's inclusion over James Taylor. Root and Compton are both good call-ups, and with Bopara's batting form it makes perfect sense to leave him behind, but I thought Taylor did really well against the Saffers, held down an end well while KP batted us back into the game, built to respectable scores, and one of the times he got a fairly low one was Trott's fault... Morgan's been brilliant in limited overs games lately, but I'm still not convinced he's got a Test mentality.

And isn't there some sort of tournament for cricket's equivalent of 5-a-side starting today, or have I got confused?

• 1 month later...

Why the fuck isn't Monty playing?

Two of five 'bowlers' in for their batting. Bresnan's a good 3rd seamer in English conditions, but he's never going to take many wickets on the subcontinent. Patel is the exact opposite of a Test player. Unfit and not good enough at either batting or bowling to warrant a place, but because he can almost do both he's given a chance. I reckon KP will get better bowling figures this series than Patel.

What the hell was Trott doing at slip? In terms of that disgraceful attempt, that disgraceful claim, and why he was there instead of Anderson.

If Broad's not fit, why is he playing? Not the most consistent bowler anyway even if he's got plenty of talent.