Cricket

greeneyes1980

What do we change? Background staff? Players? Captaincy? There's clearly something fundamentally wrong but is there a way to improve?

I think Cook's a really poor captain, but are there any other options? Prior's been dropped and I think keeping and captaincy is a lot to take on - particularly when returning to the team. Broad's awful at judging reviews. Bell's VC atm but he's never shown any interest in it long-term. KP didn't work as a captain. Root? Very inexperienced to take it on although he has captained the Lions before. Surely we couldn't expect him to work out as well as Smith for SA?

I challenge there is anything fundamentally wrong...

Haven't reached 400 in over 20 innings? Always fail in the first test of a tour? Our batting has been worrisome since the India home series. The lack of other batsmen scoring was masked over in 2012 by Cook and Prior being THAT good, but there were still issues there, unsettled lineup being a part of that. It's not one bad series, we got humiliated by Pakistan in the UAE, scraped a draw against a mediocre Sri Lanka side masterly beaten by SA, toiled heavily against NZ and lucked out for 3-0 at home against the Aussies.

I realise this is biased, we did fantastically to beat India so thoroughly the last 2 series against them, and have won all our home series except against the Saffers, but we need to improve as an away side, and our batting is often compensated for by just how good our bowling attack has been.

Carberry is in the side for the same reason Rogers is in the Aussie side. The selectors felt it more important to get some experience in quickly to anchor the innings (particularly with the number 3 slot being an unsure prospect). I didn't have a problem with him being picked. That said, I feel unless he scores big in the final test it'll probably be worth looking elsewhere given his struggles - particularly in scoring 1s and 2s.

Root's had a fair few good innings, his 73 on this tour was good, his 100 against NZ was fantastic, his 180 in the home series may have involved a lucky escape early on, but he settled well. Before this series (where everyone's done poorly) he averaged over 40. Being shunted around the order constantly and playing in a struggling batting lineup won't be helping. That said, we can't keep picking him if he does continue to struggle. I think he's done enough to justify selection for next summer though.

Monty's not got 160 odd wickets for no reason. He's a talented spinner and deserves the chance to claim the place long term. That said, his fielding is a major concern and if a young prospect stands out in county cricket then I'd be happy to give them a chance. Borthwick's average isn't phenomenal though, and Kerrigan didn't do well in his Test.

While Stokes has been a success, I'm not convinced he's a number 6. My worry is that the selectors will continue picking both him and Bresnan in a 5-man attack, and leaving us short of wicket-taking options.

Bairstow's been incredibly inconsistent for England. He's not been managed well, but I'm not convinced he's in the best 8 or 9 batsmen in the country or is the 2nd best keeper. I think both Ballance and James Taylor are better than him and deserve more chances.

I think Cook's captaincy decisions have been terrible. It's easier to be a good captain with runs on the board, but there have been plenty of times where a nick has gone flying past where 2nd slip should have been - including for tailenders. I'm convinced that half the reason their tail has scored so heavily is because Cook hasn't had the balls to have slips in.

Rogers was picked age 35/36 with no exp too is what he's saying.. Eng saw this as fairly successful & tried to emulate it in my eyes.. Root is getting some unfair stick there, I think he's done enough to stay in too..

Bairstow, I've no faith in.. Cooks captaincy has been incredibly poor in this series.. Been found out maybe?

Why oh why did he bowl Root before Panesar on day 4? Absuloutely crackers..

I'd like to see Rankin or Finn play in the final test, lose Bresnan.. Out of form or not, these goons have got us into a tremendous position so just how much worse can they be?

lets be honest, before the next series we need to improve on everything, so why not experiment on certain players.

i know wholesale changes won't be good but for the long run, we all know some players time is limited so why not give a few a chance to prove try to prove themselves in the knowledge that they are part of the future of test match cricket for england.

swann knew it was time, he stopped, surely some of the others know they are clinging on to borrowed time as well and can help to build a team for the next few years before they move on.

but this series has been terrible, during the middle of the 2nd test match i did say this could happen (whitewash), I'm just annoyed I didn't put a bet on it as if it had happened after that I would have either been quids in or been eating humble pie ;)

I don't agree with a lot of that but I do agree on how much worse could the reserves be right now and I wouldn't fear anything from just throwing them in and seeing what they can do at this stage. We need some fresh options going into the summer.

I don't think the reserves will get a shout though as if they DO perform, selectors will be out if a job for only using them now..

Didn't think they would but I think its right they have... Piss poor, over and over again... Chipped in with a couple of tons but largely garbage from the young lad...

I think Bell's been worse this series than Root. Not saying Bell should have been dropped instead, but if a player is getting shunted around the batting order with everyone else failing around him isn't exactly an easy situation. I put more blame on the failing experienced batsmen.

Aussies played really well, but while I'll criticise Cook's captaincy, he's been put in a tough situ today by the combination of Rankin's injury and Borthwick being a part-timer. Not impressed by the selectors though, if Rankin was carrying that why risk him?

Great bowling performance from Stokes though. Expensive over rate but threatened well, 6-99 including Clarke and Haddin. Broad really good again as well.

Jimmy looks absolutely knackered, never going to advocate dropping him and he was still fairly tight. That said, I definitely feel Onions should have been playing more in the last year - particularly as a selection for this tour.