Cricket

greeneyes1980

Doubt it. It's fashionable to criticise Cook, it's not fashionable to criticise Dhoni in India.

While Cook has deserved some of the criticism that's come his way (particularly during The Ashes), I think his captaincy in this Test and for most sessions of the Sri Lanka series has been fairly good. He's made mistakes and decisions that I disagreed with both at the time and with hindsight, but so does every captain. He's certainly the best option now even if that's due to a lack of others.

Funny atmosphere in the ground today, one of the hottest crowds I can remember in the morning. However for the bulk of the other 2 sessions I cant remember a game where such a large proportion of the crowd appeared to be very bored. There was some criticism for Root for not given Anderson more of the strike, I thought it was a very mature performance.

Not sure I'd agree it's been a good start to the series. Pitch has done little, from the England perspective there's still no positives to take that there weren't from the Sri Lanka series, and our bowlers are much more worn out than theirs will be.

it's been a very poor start to the series. We had Cook doing Bob Willis impressions at the end ffs. That pitch was a disgrace. I liked Athers suggestion this morning that test grounds should get official warnings for producing pitches that turgid, two of them and you lose a test.

I am talking from an England performance perspective. Some good batting and bowling, besides that three wicket disaster mid-innings and Cooks now usual no show.

As a spectacle its a fucking disgrace. As I said on day one whoever produced that pitch needs shooting.

But as far as the overall England performance goes, yes it was good....

hmmm. Not sure I agree, remove that freak 10th wicket stand and we quite possibly would have lost that test.

The worst thing was putting the field back for the number 10. Disgraceful captaincy. It didn't work when giving Mathews free singles against Sri Lanka, and it hasn't worked today. Back your bowlers to take any wicket, unless you can't stop them scoring anyway.

I'll whisper it quietly but Gary Ballance is beginning to look like a decent number 3. Far more Trottesque than Goweresque but I don't mind that if the average continues to hover around 50.

If Bell ever regains his form (largely being ignored due to Cook's woes at the minute) they could compliment each other very well.

An intriguing test match thus far - the new ball will be key.