Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here at the screening room at Mount Vesuvius the we've been on a Tony Scott retrospective.

The pick of the litter is undoubtedly TRUE ROMANCE - THE TARANTINO CUT, an unofficial fan-made cut put out after the Directors Cut of True Romance added missing/deleted scenes made it possible to follow Quentin's script somewhat more closely.

As many of you already know True Romance was scripted, like Pulp Fiction, out of chronological order. The first act the characters know more than the viewers, the second act the viewers catch up, the third act the viewers know more than the characters.

Scott, the well-meaning, very nice, but perfunctory hack he was, re-arranged it into a linear narrative - i.e. holding the audience's hand at every stage. In doing so made a nonsense of some intentionally-repeated dialogue and some scene activity, and made a snappy film interminable. The fan cut takes an average film with some stand-out performances into something much closer to a Tarantino classic.

Nothing can touch the nostalgia of Top Gun, or the David Bowieness/Susan Sarandon Lesbianess of The Hunger, but True Romance - The Tarantino Cut is easily his best work.

Going to watch the rest later (watching some of the reading coverage atm).

I really enjoy RDJ as an actor, I think I just find it hard to enjoy some of the american comic book adaptations, the first couple of X-Men movies I was blown away, but became progressively less interested with every movie since and some, well....some have been downright terrible (green lantern) and alot I haven't even bothered to watch (thor among others).

My kids both raved about the avengers, they normally have good taste, I didn't really see it as being anything special, even with a good cast, not a terrible plot, I don't know why it doesn't work for me, maybe trying to squeeze too many established characters into too small a space for me.

Watched The Raid the other night. Bored of it very quickly and ended up skipping through parts of it (could see what was going on but was just in fast forward).

Fun for about 20 minutes but the complete lack of script, characters, story and plot sort of ruins it! :lol:

Edited by The Nal

Watched Cabin In The Woods last week it was enjoyable enough. My favourite line is "good work zombie arm".

I also checked out Ted a few days ago if you like Family Guy you will enjoy it and Mila Kunis is an absolute mega-babe.

CABIN IN THE WOODS STUFF

I've been a fan of Cthulhu-in-a-science-lab since the days of playing the rpg modules The Stars Are Right and At Your Door, and of course the video game Half Life. So for me there should be many more Cthulhu-in-a-lab films, not fewer.

We've already have quite a few violent viewer-as-voyeur films with Running Man, Truman Show, Hunger Games etc.

Also liked their take on the banality of evil with the lab technicians, week in week out they murder young people - for a larger plan - and it just ends up as the office sweepstake.