new Springsteen 'rumour'

Guest tevaburger

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone besides me worried that this new Madonna rumor might mean that the springsteen negotiations may have taken a turn for the worse...and we have her instead of him?

and by the way...Madonna before Springsteen would be strange. I reckon the Boss would even find it odd himself. a very odd lead-in.

anyone besides me worried that this new Madonna rumor might mean that the springsteen negotiations may have taken a turn for the worse...and we have her instead of him?

and by the way...Madonna before Springsteen would be strange. I reckon the Boss would even find it odd himself. a very odd lead-in.

Whatever the debate about aged acts etc etc there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that Bruce Springsteen is categorically one of the best outdoor live acts in the world ...... ever and therefore he will totally suit Glastonbury

These days Neil Young can be a bit hit and miss but is worth a chance

I am not too familiar with the music of Blur ( just one of those things) - but hey what a great chance to see and listen to something new ( to me)

If you are a Springsteen fan. I'm a Dylan fan, and as such look down on Springsteen's cumbersome lyrical stylings. Not to say I dislike him at all. Although my knowledge of his material hardly extends any further than his greatest hits material. My take was if that was as good as it gets, then * shrugs *

I thought about going to see Dylan again in May, haven't been since 2003 and he gave such a half-assed performance I nearly left halfway through. That was the Wembley show, I've not been back since and the bootlegs etc that I've heard don't indicate things have got any better, sadly.

Friends have seen him in the times between and slowly stopped going for the same reasons, and to enable them to remember him when he was nearer the peak of his powers as a live act. Would love to think that 2009 is the year he turns it all around though!

I quite enjoyed Dylans set at Glastonbury in 1998, yeah, it wasn't his greatest show but it was better than a lot I saw that festival. Nothing will top the show I saw in Cardiff 2 years later though.

Bruce has been putting on fairly consistently brilliant shows since the 70s. I don't know anyone who's been to see him and been disappointed, and that includes 'floaters' who weren't that convinced until they saw him.

I'm a Dylan fan (not a massive massive fan, but a fan none-the-less), but when I went to see him it was one of the biggest disappointments of my gig-going life.

Dylan doesn’t compare at all as a “show”, never has actually. His apparent contempt for the audience is quite funny though. Walking up to the guitar, the crowd gasps in anticipation as he walks back to the keyboard. (Which he plays with his back to 25% of the audience!). Last time I saw him, at the end of the show he walked up to the mic, as if to say something, the crowd went VERY quiet, Dylan stopped and did a silly little robot dance and walked off. Show over. :huh:

That said, as a Dylan fan, you know what youre getting. Do not expect a “C’mon, clap your hands” type gig. He has never done that, in 50 years. Its worth seeing him for me as he always drops in a gem or two. And hes playing guitar again for the first half of some shows now, if his back can take it.

Im seeing him in May in Dublin, bring it on. Extra date just added due to demand.

my point was just that I think Dylan's lyrics work (better) on an intelectual level, but however corny they sometimes are, they (Bruce's words) hit a different (emotional?) spot.... for me.
Edited by sifimaster

I see what you are saying. A working class hero, that kind of thing. I was thinking about putting together a working class man type CD. Bruce would have to go on there, I guess. And it would have to start with, erm, Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes I guess. Blue Denim in his vains and all that.

Mind, I think Bob Dylan can do pure emotion and not just intellectual pontification. You only have to think of Forever Young for that - a song her wrote for his children. There is a brilliant cartoon of it on You Tube. I'll dig it out.

Found it.

">

Our first dance was 'The River' which worked well....the spoken lead in to it on the '75-'85 Live collection where he talks about his dad and dodging the draft is possibly the most emotional opener to a live track I know...makes me blub every time...and if he did something similar on the Pyramid i'd be on my chuffing knees.. :huh:

Dylan doesn’t compare at all as a “show”, never has actually. His apparent contempt for the audience is quite funny though. Walking up to the guitar, the crowd gasps in anticipation as he walks back to the keyboard. (Which he plays with his back to 25% of the audience!). Last time I saw him, at the end of the show he walked up to the mic, as if to say something, the crowd went VERY quiet, Dylan stopped and did a silly little robot dance and walked off. Show over. :D

That said, as a Dylan fan, you know what youre getting. Do not expect a “C’mon, clap your hands” type gig. He has never done that, in 50 years. Its worth seeing him for me as he always drops in a gem or two. And hes playing guitar again for the first half of some shows now, if his back can take it.

Im seeing him in May in Dublin, bring it on. Extra date just added due to demand.

Our first dance was 'The River' which worked well....the spoken lead in to it on the '75-'85 Live collection where he talks about his dad and dodging the draft is possibly the most emotional opener to a live track I know...makes me blub every time...and if he did something similar on the Pyramid i'd be on my chuffing knees.. :)