Petshop Boys

Guest Arronbury

You're pretty obsessed with age, aren't you? Singles aren't worthy of listening too because people who are too young like them, old artists are shite because they're, well, too old. Maybe just judge the music irrespective of age?

Anyway, I never once said singles mattered. I said they would be able to do a full set list of singles that people recognised.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they may well recognise them, but then i can avoid treading in dogshit on the pavement because i recognise it

and i havent once said old artists are shite because their old (i am very much looking forward to a select group of oldies this year). what i have said is that the rumours list seems to be overflowing with old/reunion artists. the point i was trying to make is that if the 4th headliner were to be over 40 it would make for a pretty dad rock/music festival (on the main stage at least).

if they play, im sure a few people will not only recogonise the tunes, but some may even have a good time :O;) , and good luck to em, but i'll be somewhere else still believing that they dont deserve that slot

They do have pop music at Glasto. I've seen Nelly Furtardo there before now, and I'm sure the Sugarbabes have played.

I'm not adverse to pop, if it's done well. And early PSB was great. I preferred Yazoo, but that's personal opinion.

Cowell is also Maria Carey power ballads. Very narrow definition of pop music.

Edited by sifimaster

1) i disagree.

2) pop music has its place and if psb deserve that slot so do/did spice girls, girls aloud, madonna, spandau ballet, any acts run by cowell or waterman.

3) its souless, repetitive garbage best left to kids.

4) worst of all, all pop music is made for one reason and one reason only - to sell records and therfore make money. it has no artistic integrity whatsoever and should be treated with disdain by those who come across it.

5) btw, all of the above is merely my opinion.

6) but its bloody good opinion, even if i do say so myself ;):O

They do have pop music at Glasto. I've seen Nelly Furtardo there before now, and I'm sure the Sugarbabes have played.

I'm not adverse to pop, if it's done well. And early PSB was great. I preferred Yazoo, but that's personal opinion.

Cowell is also Maria Carey power ballads. Very narrow definition of pop music.

Edited by Tugger2k

3) How are PSB 'repetitive'? That has to be one of the least accurate slaggings of of a band I've ever seen on the forums. I think you're accidentally reading out of the BEGINNERS GUIDE TO INSULTS FOR DANCE MUSIC there.

4) Again to say PSB have no artistic merit because they make pop music is incredibly simplistic and narrow-minded. They are well known for their arty elements in their stage performances, general image and even some of the music.

certain pop, in certain slots yes.

as a headliner on the pyramid?? id like 3 examples, and seeing as the big G has a massive history it shouldnt be that hard.

pur pop mind, not someone who started as pop, and then developed into something else (ala mccartney) but the acts like PSB that are unashamidly pop and have been their entire career.

Having grown up pretty much in the 80's I can't say I look back on the music with any affection. I took to NWOBHM and found all the keyboard based new romantic type stuff painful on the ears.

I still laugh at how some people seem to think PSB and others like them are some sort of returning heros. They were boring tedious bands in the 80's and bring nothing to the new millennium.

Some older acts have staying power but having seen PSB rip through a selection of greatest hits at the brits in 10 mins I have no desire to watch them any longer.

The 80's were awful for pop music and 20 years don't make the bands any better.

No one was suggesting they finished off anyway (I would like that, but I think they're possibly too far off their prime popularity and have never really been away so lack that comeback factor), but rather a penultimate headliner (which they handled very well in 2000)

You are talking complete balls here, mister. It isn't a no-pop festival, and pop isn't only found in rock-accepted relegated-to-the-back-of-the-bus time-slots at some apartheid-Glasto either. Coldplay are pop music and they headlined the Pyramid with only one album. Jay-Z is pop. Travis. Rod Stewart. Basement Jaxx. Paul McCartney.

Having grown up pretty much in the 80's I can't say I look back on the music with any affection. I took to NWOBHM and found all the keyboard based new romantic type stuff painful on the ears.

I still laugh at how some people seem to think PSB and others like them are some sort of returning heros. They were boring tedious bands in the 80's and bring nothing to the new millennium.

Some older acts have staying power but having seen PSB rip through a selection of greatest hits at the brits in 10 mins I have no desire to watch them any longer.

The 80's were awful for pop music and 20 years don't make the bands any better.

none of those are balls to the wall pop. they may be popular, but that doesnt make them pop. and you know it.

i have a few spare straws knocking about, would you like to clutch at one of those..... ;)

and again, your putting words in my mouth. no where have i said 'no pop at glasto' (i even went to see robbie play ther just to see if he could cut it). what I have stated is my aversion to see it at the top of the bill

I don't think PSB are 'balls to the wall pop' (whatever the f**k that means).

You seem to be having a go and synthesizer-based music, not pop music. All the bands I listed are pop music. I don't care about the label like you - I don't see it as pejorative.

The bands I listed were at the top of the bill. My God you don't know anything about pop music OR Glasto.

I didn't say anything about headliners of the pyramaid stage Tugger2k.

I'd say they'd play as second on the bill, rather than headliners. Same slot as New Order a few years back - that would be about right, I reckon.

However I can help shine some light into your murky darkness. Have a good chortle if you want, you'll be on your own. The very fact that you think synth-based pop sucks because it is synth-based pop shows you're lack of knowledge of the genre. I don't post in a thread about British Heavy Metal, because I don't purport to know anything about it, let alone be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff in the genre.