Party in the park

Guest mfeltham

Just an example of how V has taken a tumble over the years.

V Stage: Saturday

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

DAVID GRAY

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

PJ HARVEY

MORCHEEBA

INSPIRAL CARPETS

SKIN

ASHLEY HAMILTON

V Stage: Sunday

COLDPLAY

FOO FIGHTERS

ASH

THE HIVES

THE CARDIGANS

REEL BIG FISH

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN

EISLEY

2nd Stage

Sat:

UNDERWORLD

THE CORAL

TIM BURGESS

THE DISTILLERS

MICHAEL FRANTI and SPEARHEAD

HAVEN

THE STRANDS

PALOALTO

THE ZUTONS

Sun:

FEEDER

TURIN BRAKES

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS

KELLY OSBOURNE

KILLING JOKE

ATHLETE

DAMIEN RICE

THE BEES

BASEMENT

FUTUREHEADS

JJB Sat

APPLETON

KOSHEEN

BIG BROVAZ

MINT ROYALE

GUS GUS

I AM KLOOT

JUST JACK

JJB Stage: Sunday

LEMON JELLY

MOLOKO

GOLDFRAPP

DAVID HOLMES PRESENTS THE FREE ASSOCIATION

MIS-TEEQ

DIRTY VEGAS

SLOVO

THE RAINBAND

MANKATO

2009 Lineup!

The Killers

Razorlight

The Specials

Lily Allen

The Script

Taylor Swift

Starsailor

Oasis

Snow Patrol

Elbow

James

Biffy Clyro

James Morrison

Ocean Colour Scene

2nd Stage:

Fatboy Slim

Pendulum

The Ting Tings

The Wombats

The Noisettes

Red Light Company

Keane

The Enemy

Paolo Nutini

Katy Perry

Dizzee Rascal

Athlete

The Proclaimers

The King Blues

The Arena

2 Many DJs

Calvin Harris

Happy Mondays

The Saturdays

Will Young

MGMT

Lady Gaga

The Streets

The Human League

Lemar

Natalie Imbruglia

Alesha Dixon

Daniel Merriweather

The few Party in the Park acts are pushed into the JJB tent. Yet look at this years line up. They are all over the place.

Where did it all go wrong???

Edited by mfeltham

JJB 2003

Kosheen

Asian Dub Foundation

Appleton

Mint Royale

Big Brovaz

Dirty Vegas

Gusgus

Jamie Cullum

Amy Winehouse

Just Jack

Speedway

Lemon Jelly

Moloko

Goldfrapp

The Free Association (David Holmes)

Mis-Teeq

I Am Kloot

Slovo

Un-Cut

The Rain Band

Bell X1

Mankato

I totally agree

I started a thread stating exactly this and saying how it has been a steady fall to shitness over the years. However, I got slated by most on this board. What ppl don't realise tho is that many people have been to V on a regular basis over the years and have seen this change happen. However, it seems most of the 'sell your ticket then' crowd are relative newbies for the most part and as such this festival appeals to them whereas 2003/4 may not. They have started going to V because pop shit is what theyr into which is fair enough and to them that is great and they can't understand why all these folk are whinging...

...imagine if one year a load of mid-pubescent teenage girls bought early bird tickets for T4 on the beach/party in the park only to find when the announcements came that Slipknot, System of a Down, Slayer, 36 Crazy Fists and the Bathtub Shitters would be on the bill instead of Boyzone, A1, Take That and Will Young...

In this scenario its a little easier to see why regular goers to that event would be a little pissed off and it is the same with V tho not as extreme lol. I expect this year will be the final straw for many regular V goers and many will go elsewhere next year as V is catering less and less for their tastes. This probably wont affect ticket sales tho as many ppl like all the newbies mentioned above will still go and V probably has made a festival that appeals to the mainstream crowds even if it has been unintentional.

It has to be mentioned however, that this years event has taken much longer to sell out than other recent years. It may be argued that the recession has a big part in this to play but I think it is down to the lineup personally.

I totally agree

I started a thread stating exactly this and saying how it has been a steady fall to shitness over the years. However, I got slated by most on this board. What ppl don't realise tho is that many people have been to V on a regular basis over the years and have seen this change happen. However, it seems most of the 'sell your ticket then' crowd are relative newbies for the most part and as such this festival appeals to them whereas 2003/4 may not. They have started going to V because pop shit is what theyr into which is fair enough and to them that is great and they can't understand why all these folk are whinging...

...imagine if one year a load of mid-pubescent teenage girls bought early bird tickets for T4 on the beach/party in the park only to find when the announcements came that Slipknot, System of a Down, Slayer, 36 Crazy Fists and the Bathtub Shitters would be on the bill instead of Boyzone, A1, Take That and Will Young...

In this scenario its a little easier to see why regular goers to that event would be a little pissed off and it is the same with V tho not as extreme lol. I expect this year will be the final straw for many regular V goers and many will go elsewhere next year as V is catering less and less for their tastes. This probably wont affect ticket sales tho as many ppl like all the newbies mentioned above will still go and V probably has made a festival that appeals to the mainstream crowds even if it has been unintentional.

It has to be mentioned however, that this years event has taken much longer to sell out than other recent years. It may be argued that the recession has a big part in this to play but I think it is down to the lineup personally.

Edited by Animaal

I think you've pretty much nailed this - I am a festie newbie myself, first V this year.

BUT, that's not to say I've been watching lineups from years gone past, 2001 had a brilliant line up - my favourite what with the likes of Muse/Coldplay/Chilli's/Foo Fighters etc.

Compared to this year - looks as if the organisers have lost sight of the audience, either that or are competing with the wrong festivals - T4 on the Beach as opposed to L/R/TitP

I think it's fair comment too. You can pretty much draw a line in the sand. If you have 300 posts + to your name on here, you are a definite moaner, myself included. Those with less posts to their names are generally quite happy with things, it would seem. There is nothing with that, and it's good you get newbies, you need new blood on here to keep the forum going.

But as has been said, those who've seen the festival grow in size and - apparently - change the type of acts it books, are entitled to voice their opinion.

I think it's fair comment to say that even back in 2003 and 2004 people on here were quite often casting envious eyes at the Reading / Leeds line up.

It would be interesting to know if any newbies got their tickets in the early bird sale, and how many old stagers did. I did, but I probably won't again.

I totally agree

Spot on. I've been going V since 2000, and its decline in recent years is sad news. I get an early bird ticket every year, but wont make the same mistake next year. I think my V days are over.

I have been going to v since 2003. I do agree with some points on here, there are more pop acts and filler than some of the other festivals.

But i dont agree that there has been a decline over the years, i think this has always been the case.

Now i dont have the memory or the time to list every line up but i can defently remember every year since i have been going were there has been no acts i have wanted to see during the day at some points.

However i taken the chance to see bands i would normally avoid, girls aloud last year( and yes they were as shite as i thought they would be). The streets 2005 2nd on the main stage( soso).

But for me and i stress this is only what i like my festival experiance to be, its all about the headliner

and time and time again v has delivered.

Not a big killers fan but fatboy or 2 many dj`s will rock and i love oasis. Muse last year with chems the next day. foo`s the year before(i think). Fatboy and razorlight before that, all good times. if said headliners arn`t your bag then i could see why your not to impressed.

If i dont like the headliner then the festival is a right off for me. lattitude last 2 years!

I like the day to be an extented gig!

Even if you get early bird tickets, then don't like the acts announced, you can easily sell your tickets.

No more moaning about the line-up please. If you don't like whats on, then don't go. Simple.

Some of us will go and enjoy the weekend even if Susan Boyle headlined.

It's a discussion forum tit.

I'm sure you would & there's nothing wrong with that. The X-Factor live, Pop Idol live etc tours are very popular & sell out arenas all over the country. This still doesn't mean that there's an awful lot of people who have been able to 'take a punt' on V via Early bird tickets based on previous line-up's being pretty eclectic. There's always been a small number of pop acts but these were mixed amongst a couple of decent rock bands, hiphop artist etc. This year they seem to have replaced the aforementioned genres. I know, I know... 'If you don't like it go elsewhere' & I will.

If V was the only festival I was going to this I'd be absolutely gutted, thank christ for Download. Coincidentally, the only other major festie forum without people moaning about the line-up.

Edited by Flaminglippy

]See also this fella, he's being serious!!! /index.php?showtopic=120394">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...howtopic=120394]

And this is the difference between the Original goers and the New Breed.

'Don't moan, I only go for the headliners, I don't mind if I have to listen to Hannah Montanna and Bob the Builder during the day'

Cant remember being rude to you when i said its about the headliners for me, but there you go. I dont remember saying your view was shite, which it is because u sound like a child.

All i said was dross has allways been apart of the v weekend.

And dont f**king tar me with the same brush as someone who wants n dubz at the festival!

Never once said i like the dross at the festival, just that the headliners are more mportant to me.

Cant remember being rude to you when i said its about the headliners for me, but there you go. I dont remember saying your view was shite, which it is because u sound like a child.

All i said was dross has allways been apart of the v weekend.

And dont f**king tar me with the same brush as someone who wants n dubz at the festival!

Never once said i like the dross at the festival, just that the headliners are more mportant to me.

Well that does surprise me, but different strokes and all, there are usually more bands i dont wanna see than do wanna see but since it works out that i cant see as many as i can then thats ok.

i will give u sat (chelm) is looking ropey at the start of the day. but for me starsailor, red light company, wombats, ting tings or hapy mondays, pendulum(will fooking rock) and then fatboy or 2many djs sounds good.

As for sun, ocs, biffy, dizzy, elbow , snow patrol and oasis will rock and thats prop my day sorted with a few randoms in there for fun.

I would have loved artics or white stripes and kasabian but cant have everything,

TBH none of the festivals are looking to strong this year, but i`m more than happy. That doesn`t make me some kind of t4 loving pop kid though.

What kinda bands would u have liked to have seen during the day? Realistic!