V Memories

Guest echoechoecho

Hey y'all!

So there's only about 3 weeks to go, we know (pretty much) who's playing, it's time to start really getting in the mood... Me and a few mates have been talking about some of the great moments from previous V festivals, thought I'd post them here between now and the fest, anyone else got any to add?

Oh, and uplifting cheerful stories only, ok?

V96, my first ever festival, got separated from my mates during the crazy Supergrass scrum, ended up by myself by the time Pulp came on, then they did Common People at the end, with fireworks going of in time to the song, the whole crowd jumping and singing. Totally awseome...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my favourite memory was watching kasabian play a storming c4 headline set. then walking back to the tent you could see the sea of people for radiohead. just at that moment they started playing there last song, creep. the lights were so fecking bright when the chorus kicked in. everybody was singing walking back. beautiful moment... and i f'kin hate radiopleb.

mmmh one that sticks in mind is watching Killers in 2007 near the back, it had finally had stopped raining and was actually quite warm, was totally pissed as fart but was dancing in mud with randoms to Mr Brightside I was well happy at this moment :lol: (even though distinctly remember my friend looking at me as if was mental cos was dancing/trying to sing with randoms lol)

another one is 07 again turning point for me being miserable (as was so wet :lol: ) when everyone was singing along to Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger in the rain I started to enjoy myself after that although maybe beers were kicking in then too :)

Hey y'all!

So there's only about 3 weeks to go, we know (pretty much) who's playing, it's time to start really getting in the mood... Me and a few mates have been talking about some of the great moments from previous V festivals, thought I'd post them here between now and the fest, anyone else got any to add?

Oh, and uplifting cheerful stories only, ok?

V96, my first ever festival, got separated from my mates during the crazy Supergrass scrum, ended up by myself by the time Pulp came on, then they did Common People at the end, with fireworks going of in time to the song, the whole crowd jumping and singing. Totally awseome...

Got to be getting to the front row for the Foo Fighters. They were awesome.

Seeing Scouting for Girls in a random tent when they were just starting out seems to stick in the memory. There were less than 100 people in there at the start but had such catchy tunes the tent was rammed by the end of the set. They were genuinly so appreciative that people had turned up to see them they were just looking at each other and laughing. Was pretty cool.

Got to be getting to the front row for the Foo Fighters. They were awesome.

Seeing Scouting for Girls in a random tent when they were just starting out seems to stick in the memory. There were less than 100 people in there at the start but had such catchy tunes the tent was rammed by the end of the set. They were genuinly so appreciative that people had turned up to see them they were just looking at each other and laughing. Was pretty cool.

one of my favourite fest memories was watchin nelly furtado not because of her music but cos of the weather at the time and standing around with all my brothers... it was raining then sunny, and when the sun came out you could see steam coming off us all... good times :P

Getting chased by wasps while watching Kula Shaker in 96

Green Day trashing their kit in 97

Gomez in hot sunshine in 99

QOTSA 2003 - perhaps the most edgy V ever got.

James playing a blinding set through a rainstorm in 98

Iggy & The Stooges in the JJB a couple of years ago (RIP Ron)

Embrace's comeback in 2004 at short notice - quite emotional

Groove Armada saving the day in 2002 (need someone to raise my spirits like that in 2009!)

Rodrigo y Gabriela kick-starting the day in 2007

Radiohead doing Paranoid Android in 2006 and finishing with Creep - hairs on back of neck moment

Hayseed Dixie in the Strongbow Tent - 2005?

Pixies 2004 - just fantastic

Chemical Brothers, red wine & a viking horn - 2008 (you had to be there :P )

now this threads got me excited again....lol whoop whoop my memorie that i can think of first is.....

whatever year someone else said........killers mr brightside didnt think they were gonna play that!!!

shame my two friends got covere in sick ust before that song!!!

need to start thinking of a few more xx

Getting chased by wasps while watching Kula Shaker in 96

Green Day trashing their kit in 97

Gomez in hot sunshine in 99

QOTSA 2003 - perhaps the most edgy V ever got.

James playing a blinding set through a rainstorm in 98

Iggy & The Stooges in the JJB a couple of years ago (RIP Ron)

Embrace's comeback in 2004 at short notice - quite emotional

Groove Armada saving the day in 2002 (need someone to raise my spirits like that in 2009!)

Rodrigo y Gabriela kick-starting the day in 2007

Radiohead doing Paranoid Android in 2006 and finishing with Creep - hairs on back of neck moment

Hayseed Dixie in the Strongbow Tent - 2005?

Pixies 2004 - just fantastic

Chemical Brothers, red wine & a viking horn - 2008 (you had to be there :lol: )

Wow, I'm glad this thread has got everyone talking about their memories of V, some of the stories already written are great.

Another brilliant one for me was finding out in advance that the band (I think called 606) opening the second stage was going to be Foo Fighters playing an acoustic set. I convinced all my mates to take the risk and come see a band they'd never heard of - and of course it was the Foos and they played a blinder and my wife and her mate got right to the front. Their faces when they ran back to us all at the end of the set were awestruck, totally beautiful.

And one year Afro Celt Sound System opened the main stage, got everybody dancing like crazy in the sunshine, and then the rest of the day I was stuck in front of the main stage cos I wanted to see everybody on there, got my face burnt to a crisp cos the weather was perfect...

about time someone set up a thread for some positives about v

as every year the indie disco is superb, prodigy last year for me were superb

and i love to go to the little bit that has all the Scottish food stalls - helps when i get home sick can't beat abit of haggis at the fest lol

my favourite memory was watching kasabian play a storming c4 headline set. then walking back to the tent you could see the sea of people for radiohead. just at that moment they started playing there last song, creep. the lights were so fecking bright when the chorus kicked in. everybody was singing walking back. beautiful moment... and i f'kin hate radiopleb.
Edited by spwan-of-the-devil

Various for me , but I can;t remember the years (oops) - and they don't always revolve around the music

- The first year I took my boyfriend (who is now my husband) - I'd been to 9 V festivals and this was his first festival. He loved it, and we ended up in the 'oxygen bar' breathing 'flavoured oxygen' giggling like a couple of schoolkids - awesome

- Faithless - think it was 2007 amazing set , absolutely blew me away. We ended up dancing next to a lady who was giving out wristband for the VIP area, she gave us a couple of them coz we 'had let ur selves go' and we ended up eating fresh salmon and drinking beer with no Q's inbetween bands

- Last year taking a 'posh' girlfriend with me ,and 6 girls ended up sipping champagne for a few hours and getting gradually slaughtered and then dancing infront of the sloggi stage with men in underpants

- Athelete doing wires one year , Embrace doing 'glorious day' - all soppy moments but loved em

- Pulp in 198(something) - Jarvis what a showman

Right I'm off to think of some more - part two to follow

Thanks for this post and making me remember the good memories

I've often moaned about V Line-ups, about who should and shouldnt be playing etc... but i've never failed to have the best time at V - An example of that is last years final day (at Weston), there was not 1 band on that I wanted to see all day except Muse's headline slot, yet me and my mates had a great day milling around and ending up getting mullered in the Bacardi Bar before staggering over to the main stage to see one of the best Headline sets ever by Muse - fantastic !

Similarly had the best Festival ever at V2003 - the weather was absolutley brilliant, there was 12 of us in our camp, a great little gang and the Line Up was amazing - I remember clearly smiling from ear to ear thoughout Echo and the Bunnymens mainstage greatest hits performance in the afternoon, PJ Harvey was superb. But nothing bettered Queens of the Stone Age and Foo Fighters that year!! It was the last time I saw Nick Oliveri play with QOTSA and althought they're still great I dont think they're as good Live without him.

It was also the last year of the Dance Tent, which I always frequented - shame they had to get rid of it.

Oh, and Radiohead 2006 - wonderful!

I also remember dragging myself to the NME (Ch4) stage to catch The Killers early in the afternoon in 2004 - just as Hot Fuss was getting to be Huge - that was a great memory too - thousands of people turning out and taking this young new band by suprise. Was probably one of their biggest crowds to date at the time, they had played Glasto the same year but in one of the Tents.

Roll on the next 3 weeks I say, and lets f**k this Rain and Wind off - Now!

Hilights for me over the years have been James in 98 and 2007, David Gray and the Chili Peppers in 04 or 05, also enjoyed Becks set a couple of years ago. Apart from the rain we have all had a fab time at v, even though it is a rip off re: food and drink. Am looking forward to watching the specials in the rain (only being realistic) :lol:

Getting hopelessly stuck in the mud almost to my knees last year and my darling brother running over and jumping on me. It was like felling a tree! Soo funny!

Finding that my brother had left my little cousin wrapped up in cling film next to the car because she refused to carry her share of the beer!

Watching my brother's freind and my cousin trying to hug people when covered in mud in the Lost Prophets crowd last year. They were so drunk but in the end someone came and rugby tackled my brother's friend and landed him face down in the brown slushy stuff the crowd around us all cheered. Brother's friend and cousin had to go back to the tent to sleep off the days drinking and missed Prodigy!! They were not best pleased.

There are so many more. But I shall leave it at that. For now!

Was my first ever festival last year.

Watching the guliimots over the verve = wise choice

Sticking with Prodigy over muse = wise choice

Sticking my neck out and calling Newton faulker = Wise choice

Listening to a female give directions without double checking = not so wise choice

Listening to same female assure me tent is packed proplerly = VERY unwise choice

Gigs and fests will have me in attendance for some time to come.

Singing Everlong very loudly while grinning locked arm in arm with my friend Alski and a bunch of strangers we'd been talking to in the build up - it was lashing it down but I didn't give a shite... Smiles all round and jumping up and down to all the hits.

Lenny Kravitz last year building up the crowd before Amy Winehouse went and ruined it by being hammered - although it did kind of provide the comedy element everyone reckons V needs!

My mate falling asleep in the camping chair and still being there in the morning - complete with cyalume blue eyebrows.

Back in '07 helped pull a girl out of the mud only to leave both her wellies in place, ended up having to give her a piggyback to something resembling grass before fetching them. Clemo later hoiked her onto his shoulders for the entire of KT Tunstall and promptly face planted the pair of them when she tried to reach something out of his bag!

My first V back in 2000, we went as a mass group from uni, took Tony, posh but sound lad with us, he revealed he'd brought a dressing gown and slippers with him in case he needed to go to the toilet in the night - I nearly died laughing (if you've ever seen Newman & Baddiel the Jarvis character had the same silk dressing gown).

When I think about it V's actually been rather good to me.