Act Of the weekend

Guest Cal91

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got back and had fantastic time even though I was initially disappointed with line up, but tbh best V yet for me

Highlights were definately The Enemy, Pendulum, Howling bells, dizzee Rascal and Killers

do have to mention dancing across the field during begining of Fat boy slim set whilst me and chap were collecting cups on way to see the killers - a true festie moment ;)

Pendulum for sheer INSANITY, run a close second by Biffy. Enjoyed Ben's Brother for 'one I'd not heard of before'.

Not sure if I feel more guilty for enjoying McFly or Bjorn Again (rapping Benny!) the most...but both were actually early morning fun!

Thought the Oasis gag is wearing pretty thin, and don't think those at Chelms missed much. Great songs but zero show.

Killers good as always

I was at Chelmsford. I had no intention of seeing Oasis so must have been disappointing for those who had their heart set on them, but it did not affect me.

What I saw either met or surpassed my expectations. I didn't bust a gut to see everything I originally set out to (my plans for the Strongbow tent backfired as it was rammed most of the time). Top 5 highlights were:

James - the ultimate V get out of jail card - never fail to impress. Tim Booth was up on the barriers near where I was standing. Got some great photos. He & the rest of the band always put so much effort in.

Elbow - probably my festival moment of the weekend when they played Weather To Fly and the sun was going down. Amazing. And they got a longer set because of Oasis dropping out :lol: . Only tiny sadness was I had to miss Human League :)

Pendulum - liveliest (and youngest?) crowd and biggest crush I've ever been in at V - surpassed even the Prodigy 3 or 4 years back. Musically they don't tick all my boxes, but I had to be there for the experience.

Fatboy Slim - was great way to wrap up Saturday. Tried to dance but I'd pretty much shot my bolt after Pendulum :) . Excellent light show and enjoyed the BPA stuff. Wished I'd seen him in the JJB a few years back.

Biffy Clyro - just mightily impressed. I owed them a proper listen after the sound problems they had a few years ago.

Honourable mentions also go to Exit Calm, MGMT (good, but headliners???), Jet (a diamond among the pop dross on Saturday afternoon), The Specials (could never hope to match Brixton Academy earlier this year, but still good), GLC and Wallis Bird (her obvious enthusiasm and love for what she does was infectious. She'd got a very decent sized audience by the end).

I was at Chelmsford too and had a great time- the weather certainly helped, but I chilled out, saw some new bands and generally had a good (not amazing) festival

I enjoyed

1 Human League - was dragged there by hubby, and can truely say they were brilliant - together in Electric dreams will go down as a classic V moment (and I never thought I;d say that)

2 One EskimO - thank you to whoever from e-fest said to see them- They were brilliant. I saw Christian Leantiou a few years ago as a solo artist in the same tent, and couldn;t believe it when it was him again with One EskimO

3 Vagabond- now there's a great front man and a band who will make it bid. Brilliant even if the idiots in the tent cut their set short

4 Athelete- gret to see them back with new stuff. And wires gets me every time

5 Lightening seeds - a surprise -was just hanging around, but thought they did a great set and a good job

6 Killers - what more can I say - although I thought Brandon was a little disappointing still a good set

7 Keane - right at the front. Good live band, I saw them first 5 years ago at Brixton academy and to see them headlining - brilliant

And finally

The Enemy - awesome - loved them - fantastic

If it's one it has to be Elbow. Here's something for all you romantics - during Weather To Fly (I think) at Chelms a bloke proposed to his girlfriend, diamond ring the works - she accepted and they got a round of applause from the surrounding area of crowd! Awwww!

Also have to echo the Human League comments - they were awesome, and the closing Electric Dreams and Don't You Want Me were mighty. Crowd reaction was excellent.

Honourable mentions too for Alphabeat, Dizzee, Noisettes, MGMT (for Kids, which they played WAY too early)...

Awesome Weekend

Athlete, Dizzee, Biffy, Snow Patrol, Killers, Tinchy Stryder was also great, Small crowd for Keane at Weston but they were superb as always and well impressed with Katy Perry as well!

Song wise:

Daniel Merryweather - Red

Killers - Human

Dizzee - Holiday / Bonkers

Keane - Under Pressure

Katy Perry - I kissed a Girl

Athlete - Wires

Can't believe another year has passed already

Too Many DJ's. They smashed the JJB at Chelmsford.

Never seen them before or heard much of their stuff but anybody that can mix tracks like Fools Gold, Beethoven, Saturday night fever, Queen, Nirvana, Guns n roses and Eurythmics and make them sound as good as they did deserves a blue peter badge.

Stole the show for me, highly recommend to anyone that likes a dance off. I've run out of superlatives to convey just how good they were.