Why was the MGMT set not shown by Channel 4?

Guest rewind

This is for Chelmsford.

I was at the back of The Arena for the end of Lady Gaga and then moved nearer to the front on the right hand side for MGMT. Before MGMT came on for literally 20 minutes there was a constant stream of missiles being thrown. There was even an MC saying people are being crushed at the front which I have never heard before.

Once MGMT came on (who I couldn't see due to where we were standing) there were people climbing UP the tall metal crane like structures that support the tent. They could have easily died if they had fell. Security didn't seem to do anything.

So, was there trouble down the front? I am just wondering if Maztec told Channel 4 not to show the set due to it showing a "bad image" for the festival seeing as Maztec produce the coverage for C4.

Also, why did they have the fencing around The Arena this year? I know all tents have a maximum occupancy but they didn't shut off the whole field section last year did they?

Edited by rewind

I was at the back of The Arena for the end of Lady Gaga and then moved nearer to the front on the right hand side for MGMT. Before MGMT came on for literally 20 minutes there was a constant stream of missiles being thrown. There was even an MC saying people are being crushed at the front which I have never heard before.

Once MGMT came on (who I couldn't see due to where we were standing) there were people climbing UP the tall metal crane like structures that support the tent. They could have easily died if they had fell. Security didn't seem to do anything.

So, was there trouble down the front? I am just wondering if Maztec told Channel 4 not to show the set due to it showing a "bad image" for the festival seeing as Maztec produce the coverage for C4.

Na. I'd disagree. I heard the set wasn't that great. But I could ask the same thing about 2ManyDJs? Probably the best act of the whole weekend, no trouble and no coverage on the TV or website. I think I could quite happily say they're both not as mainstream as the rest shown. Obviously Maztec will have bias on what they want shown. Big shame.

Tunster - see the point here about the idiots!!!!

Rewind I was in there too for MGMT and the chavs that caused the trouble were a complete joke, we had a number behind us in the crowd and all they did was spend the whole time throwing bottles and beer, and thinking that climbing the metal posts was cool.

This was the one downside to Oasis pulling out, MGMT got the oasis crowd.

I disagree, the set was fantastic and bottle throwing? Seriously, have you never been to a festival? If little girls can't take being crushed a bit at the front then they shouldn't be there, I was at the front it wasn't anything on pendulum at Reading last year, I only saw a single person crowd surf and the security just pushed him back(which was really stupid). The bottle throwing is all part of the fun at a festival, I wouldn't say the tent was full of Oasis fans either, I was surrounded by idiots that started complaining when MGMT did Live Forever and were obviously not big fans of who they had come to see becasue all they could say was "don't worry, this is the warm up band" lol. They didn't even know what the band they had come to see looked like. That was the sad part

Phil-itfc is right - no headliner TV coverage last year.

I only set foot in the Arena once over the , just to catch MGMT. Have to say I wasn't greatly impressed by the access route in - there was not enough lighting and it was a real crush as the Oasis crowd was dispersed across the site (although I think most would still be down at the main stage).

I was way back too. From a distance the missile throwing looked very amusing but I wouldn't have fancied it myself too much! People always climb up the roof supports - last year they were climbed during Travis of all bands.

As for MGMT they were fine but I don't think they should have headlined on the basis of one album + some new unreleased material. To be honest they had a lot to live up to after the cracking sets by James and Elbow.

I disagree, the set was fantastic and bottle throwing? Seriously, have you never been to a festival? If little girls can't take being crushed a bit at the front then they shouldn't be there, I was at the front it wasn't anything on pendulum at Reading last year, I only saw a single person crowd surf and the security just pushed him back(which was really stupid). The bottle throwing is all part of the fun at a festival,

Do agree with if you don't want to get crushed then stay near the back, but I was in The Arena at Hylands from Ladyhawk and left at the end of The Streets. It was mayhem in there! We were down the front and although i didn't see anyone get pulled out, it really kicked off massively with bottles and things being thrown, I reckon I had a whole cup of beer poured over my head, was hit really hard with some bottles too! thing is that people were getting pushed over where it was all kicking off. Now I don't mind a crush, and I don't mind bottles being thrown or drink, but I've never seen anything kick off so much like it did just before the streets came on and it was pretty scary if your not a big blury guy! Still enjoyed the set tho :-)