The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

I'm not a big U2 fan but i did enjoy No Line On The Horizon, however of the old stuff this is actually my favourite - Electrical Storm. I don't think they play it anymore.

For me the title song from No Line was massively underrated although this wasn't helped by the fact the worse song became the lead single.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have nothing against u2.. but really? seeing that video.. does that seem cool to you?! how f**king arrogant!

We're about to vote in a gombeen man who's gonna sell off the last remaining assets we have for short term gain at a dirt cheap price.

If it wasnt for Glasto I'd be a very depressed person at what has happened these last few years.

And the fact that these LEGENDS are playing makes life bearable. Election be damned.

"Hows she cuttin' Phil?"

:lol:

Here's a great article about U2 playing at Glasto on NME.com and about why people shouldn't be complaining about it.

I agree with what he's trying to say.

"I have, it is safe to say, never been the biggest fan of U2. I hate their sanctimonious politics, I’m angered by their massively hypocritical ‘tax efficient’ schemes that operate while they simultaneously encourage Western nations to ‘Drop The Debt’. It pisses me off that their singer got so cosy with Bush and Blair, who are in many people’s eyes war criminals.

It even annoys me that least one (maybe two) of the band doggedly refuse to just accept that they are bald. And that’s before we even get to the music, most of which just sounds like pompous bluster to me. So how come I’m actually looking forward to seeing them finally headline Glastonbury?

I know I’m not the only person who is feeling these strangely conflicted thoughts about their forthcoming Worthy Farm performance. But if I was going to see U2 play a one-off show anywhere, it would be on the Pyramid Stage.

Why? I’ve pondered this for weeks now. It’s because when you are watching an act in that arena you can switch off from all the stuff that generally annoys you, a bit like suspending your disbelief when you watch a film with a silly premise.

What matters most is the communal feeling, and that’s something that U2 are very good at. They have the kind of anthems that are capable of generating an amazing atmosphere on that Friday night – songs that the surely massive crowd will be able to sing along to, in a way that they weren’t able to do when Gorillaz filled in for the injury-stricken Irishmen last year and played loads of songs of an album most people hadn’t really had a chance to savour properly yet.

It’s fine to be challenged musically, but a headline slot on the big stage at Glastonbury isn’t the place for it. Most people who have gone there for entertainment are well-oiled, in a great mood and want an uncomplicated hour-an-a-half that makes them feel titanic.

Like R.E.M. in 1999, Bowie in 2000, Macca in 2004 and Blur in 2009 – they all got it absolutely spot on. And there’s no doubt U2 have that in their locker.

They have the tools to succeed – a massive back catalogue with tons of hits, and the experience to know which of their songs will work on the night (why do you think The Edge made the trip to Glasto last year? It wasn’t just to help out Muse).

But with so many tunes, you can’t be exactly sure what you’re in for. So as well as being reassuringly familiar, there will also be an element of unpredictability, unlike someone like The Killers in 2007, who had at that point only released two albums. It wasn’t difficult to work out what would feature in the setlist.

Anyway, you would expect that they will definitely play all the big ones from ‘The Joshua Tree’ and ‘Achtung Baby’, as well as ‘Beautiful Day’ and ‘Vertigo’. There’s a strong possibility they’ll also perform ‘The Flowering Rose Of Glastonbury’, the song Bono wrote in 2010 for a festival he hasn’t even been to.

But like I say, I have a funny feeling that it will be a massive triumph for U2. They are clearly desperate to do it, and they will pull out all the stops. They will make it work, even without that stupid claw of theirs, which would have just been a distraction anyway. And I can’t deny that it will be exciting seeing them trying to pull it off."

So probably the biggest band in the world playing the best festival in the world, it's got to be special and not to be missed.

I can't be the only person very excited about the prospect of BB King (now he's been confirmed) coming on to do "When Love Comes To Town" can I? I'm actually a little giddy at the prospect. I bloody love that song!

U2 in space :P Played as a wake up song on STS - 133

Flight Day 8 Begins

Today's wake up song was "City of Blinding Lights" by U2, suggested by Tim Kopra and played for the entire crew at 5:05 a.m. EST. The call was delayed slightly because of a poor communications signal. Space shuttle Discovery's astronauts will enjoy some off-duty time today and field questions from reporters. Also, NASA Television will air video of launch from the Solid Rocket Booster Cameras. At 5:03 p.m. the entire crew will gather to talk to the President of the United States.

I am gobsmacked at the amount of ill feeling there is towards U2.

Yes Bono can go on a bit but jeez!

I for one will be there with by the sounds of it,about 20 others.

A stripped down no frills set will go down as one of the best Glasto headline sets ever,mark my words!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a bar in New York City for most of the afternoon and evening today on St. Patrick's Day and they were playing U2 on a loop all the way through. It made me think of the same day 19 years ago when I was in Boston (some locals call it the westernmost county of Ireland) failing in my attempt to get one of the toughest tickets I've ever tried for...U2/The Pixies on the very first leg of the Zoo Tv tour...St. Patrick's Day, Boston Garden. I had seen them (with Pixies as well) two days prior just 40 miles away in a town called Providence, but couldn't get into this gig...i'd look up the setlist, but it's been a long day, and it's a miralce i;ve been able to type this...

Edited by tevaburger

I was in a bar in New York City for most of the afternoon and evening today on St. Patrick's Day and they were playing U2 on a loop all the way through. It made me think of the same day 19 years ago when I was in Boston (some locals call it the westernmost county of Ireland) failing in my attempt to get one of the toughest tickets I've ever tried for...U2/The Pixies on the very first leg of the Zoo Tv tour...St. Patrick's Day, Boston Garden. I had seen them (with Pixies as well) two days prior just 40 miles away in a town called Providence, but couldn't get into this gig...i'd look up the setlist, but it's been a long day, and it's a miralce i;ve been able to type this...

Having made my maiden trip to the fantastisch city of Berlin the other week I dug out 'Achtung Baby' for a first listen through in (probably) years. If there is any democracy at work in deciding what U2 play I'd like to cast my vote for that album from start to finish. I suspect if it is democratic, it'll just be me voting and a waste of time, but still.....

Having made my maiden trip to the fantastisch city of Berlin the other week I dug out 'Achtung Baby' for a first listen through in (probably) years. If there is any democracy at work in deciding what U2 play I'd like to cast my vote for that album from start to finish. I suspect if it is democratic, it'll just be me voting and a waste of time, but still.....

Nah. Somewhere on this thread I was tellin Ivan that U2 should walk out on that Pyramid in June and Bono should say:

Lads, we have 2 hours... we're gonna play Achtung Baby and the Joshua Tree straight through, this is called Zoo Station.

It would instantly become the best gig in the history of the universe.

Edited by The Nal

I just surveyed my class - they're not really managing to do any work today (clearly I'm not either) as everyone is dressed up for Comic Relief - and they prefer "Achtung Baby" to "Pop" although quite a few went "Who's U2?" so I've promised to educate them properly next week.

They also went for Chemical Brothers in 2004 over Flaming Lips last year by one vote (although, again, it might not be the most useful bit of polling as most of them chose based on which name they prefered).

I'd love it if they JUST played "Pop". I know it's not a popular view (although I know someone on here - may well be you, Nal - seems to agree with me) but it's my favourite album (sometimes I prefer "Achtung Baby" - it fluctuates a bit) and I'd love to hear it wafting around the Pyramid field. I've definitely said it before but "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" could be hauntingly beautiful in that setting.

I'd love it if they JUST played "Pop". I know it's not a popular view (although I know someone on here - may well be you, Nal - seems to agree with me) but it's my favourite album (sometimes I prefer "Achtung Baby" - it fluctuates a bit) and I'd love to hear it wafting around the Pyramid field. I've definitely said it before but "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" could be hauntingly beautiful in that setting.