Virtual Festivals Reaction to the announcement.

Guest Poleski

The one announcement I wasn’t expecting to hear when I came into work this morning was The Strokes confirmed to headline Rock Ness.

Muse for Glastonbury? Sure. Guns N’ Roses at Download? Quite possibly. But the New York garage rockers on the shores of Loch Ness? Definitely not. The festival is slowly creeping up as the gem of the Scottish Highlands and T In The Park isn’t the only big-pulling event north of the border anymore. So what’s changed?

The introduction of Rock Ness is, of course, the big factor but it never looked as if it was started up as a direct competitor to T In The Park. Instead it seemed like it was aimed at the aging rave generation with Fatboy Slim appearing at the first party in 2006 alongside local boy Mylo and Balearic bookshelf Carl Cox. Since then it has expanded and grown quietly, evolving into a boutique bash that draws some of the biggest dance names in history: The Prodigy, Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers…

But as well as the dance behemoths, it has slowly built the calibre of the live acts too with Razorlight, Manic Street Preachers and The Charlatans all performing in its short history. The Strokes, however, were never the next obvious choice to continue the pattern – they were always seen as a Reading and Leeds-type of band.

The last UK Festival that Julian Casablancas and Co played was T In The Park in 2006 when the band was on their third album. Since then they’ve been on a hiatus, working on solo projects and alternative bands. But every year they’re away, the group are always rumoured to return to Balado – so Rock Ness comes as a complete surprise and a genuinely great shock too.

So, This Is It! The Strokes are set to play Rock Ness. But what do you think? Rock Ness ticket-holders, are you happy with the booking? Strokes fans did you want to see them at Reading? Will this make you buy a ticket?

Yeah I was suprised, I'm happy with it, but here's the thing, Rockness is a dance festival, if there gonna start booking bands over djs, there gonna have a problem. The reason I bought a rockness ticket was because I wanna go to a dance orientated festival, if I wanted to go see bands I would go to t in the park. That being said, Im still pretty happy the strokes are playing,

Yeah I was suprised, I'm happy with it, but here's the thing, Rockness is a dance festival, if there gonna start booking bands over djs, there gonna have a problem. The reason I bought a rockness ticket was because I wanna go to a dance orientated festival, if I wanted to go see bands I would go to t in the park. That being said, Im still pretty happy the strokes are playing,

The problem might be if the new album sucks, or with internal bickering doesn't materialise - are they going to pull off quality performances?

Does them playing Rock Ness really make Reading/Leeds that unlikely? They are bound to be doing festivals all summer long, and be booked at just about every festival this summer surely.

yeah thats the one concern i have.

i thought it was just like the strokes touring again maybe doing 3 to 4 festivals.

then i saw they are releasing a new album.

they will be touring a heavy amount with it so id expect to see them near the top of the bill at reading and leeds. maybe see them at glasto too but thats about it as far as britains concerned i think.

there album should be of a standard. as long as they dont weigh the setlist heavily in the new albums favour then the set should be brilliant.

unless the album is an absolute masterpiece that is. . .

I wonder with three old-ish albums do they have enough material for people to remember for a big headline slot - it's not like anyone's played Is This It, Room On fire, or First Impressions for years, and the former will be nearly a decade old - that's a whole other age range of audience.

I wonder with three old-ish albums do they have enough material for people to remember for a big headline slot - it's not like anyone's played Is This It, Room On fire, or First Impressions for years, and the former will be nearly a decade old - that's a whole other age range of audience.

your all a bunch of moaning shite's. rockness will always be a dance based festival, and will always have this atmosphere.

there will ALWAYS be one big headlining band.....because to be quite frank.....it's gonna help sell tickets. many people like dj's and dancing.....but personally i wouldnt pay to go to a festival where there was only dj's. you need a sing song. most dj's songs are sampling or feature factors of real bands anyway....i feel a lot of people dont remember that they are Disc Jockeys.

putting the strokes on suddenly grabs all the indie kids who at the same time....LOVE a good dj, a good dance, a good pill and a good swally. even if they dont know much about that world.

most of what i know about dj's is from what i learnt on here from last year...

...that doesn't mean your gonna have a better time than me.

there's still a lot of headlines to be announced.....but all that will come.

they have to say something just before christmas tho....

Rockness may not appear to be all about the money.....but without it....it wouldn't happen.

the slam tent would just get fuller and fuller and shiter and shiter.

rant over....

....now bring it on.

Edited by probemunky

your all a bunch of moaning shite's. rockness will always be a dance based festival, and will always have this atmosphere.

there will ALWAYS be one big headlining band.....because to be quite frank.....it's gonna help sell tickets. many people like dj's and dancing.....but personally i wouldnt pay to go to a festival where there was only dj's. you need a sing song. most dj's songs are sampling or feature factors of real bands anyway....i feel a lot of people dont remember that they are Disc Jockeys.

putting the strokes on suddenly grabs all the indie kids who at the same time....LOVE a good dj, a good dance, a good pill and a good swally. even if they dont know much about that world.

most of what i know about dj's is from what i learnt on here from last year...

...that doesn't mean your gonna have a better time than me.

there's still a lot of headlines to be announced.....but all that will come.

they have to say something just before christmas tho....

Rockness may not appear to be all about the money.....but without it....it wouldn't happen.

the slam tent would just get fuller and fuller and shiter and shiter.

rant over....

....now bring it on.

you can bicker about it all you want but its going to be fuicking awesome. Trust scots to find something wrong with lets face it, not a giant festival (like titp), getting one of the best bands of the decade to headline with songs that everyone knows....i dont see where the problem is?