Tents..

Guest outlinereality

Hi All,

I'm a Glasto virgin - been to festivals (very small ones) before, but for these had a HUGE tent for me and friends.

However, I'm going to Glasto with just one friend and we are in desperate need of a new tent that can hold us and our stuff.

Was just hoping anyone could suggest any - I am also on budget as my last day at work is next Friday and I have nothing lined up as of yet - so just one pay slip left.

Edited by outlinereality

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two brands I'd recommend Vango & Quechua.

You can often pick up last seasons tents in the sales during the winter. I've always got my Vango tents at considerable discounts doing it this way.

Quechua make some excellent pop-up tents, which are hassle free pitching, and hassle free packing (practice the simple folding technique before the festival).

You will want a so called double-skinned tent, that is a waterproof outer and a separate internal bedroom layer. A porch is also essential for somewhere to keep stuff, if only your boots.

For festivals (and non-standing height), outer-pitch first dome-tents are great. They are self-supporting without guys, and being outer-pitch first means the outer fly-sheet is taught and so water-proof.

Do you want standing height? One bedroom compartment or two etc?

Well, for someone of my height 5"10 - standing height is a bit out of the question - also, the friend I'm taking is alot shorter that I am :P

One bedroom would be fine. Have looked at Quencha pop ups - but they seem a bit on the small side..

I would like to add - I am SO damn excited that a tent is the only thing I'm missing from my check list!

I tend to use the following guidelines for tent capacity:

1 man tent - don't use for Glastonbury.

2 man tent - enough for 1 man + luggage

3 man tent - enough for 1 person + luggage comfortably, 2 people + luggage at a squeeze

4 man tent - enough for 2 people + luggage comfortably, 3 people + luggage at a squeeze.

I've got a marvellous 2+ person pop up tent to myself this year. It housed the wife and I and all our stuff comfortably in 2008 so I can't wait to use it again this year.

I just opened that link and AVG flashed up warning it contains a virus :P
Edited by jamiejc

I'd go for a 4 man tent for two of you plus gear, just to give you a bit more space to move around. I like my two bedroom tent for sharing with a mate, each bedroom is 2 berth size with a space in the middle for storing stuff. It also gives you plenty of space to keep stuff like mucky boots and stuff out of your sleeping area. I got mine from Argos and it's done me a few festys no problem at all.

Hi All,

I'm a Glasto virgin - been to festivals (very small ones) before, but for these had a HUGE tent for me and friends.

However, I'm going to Glasto with just one friend and we are in desperate need of a new tent that can hold us and our stuff.

Was just hoping anyone could suggest any - I am also on budget as my last day at work is next Friday and I have nothing lined up as of yet - so just one pay slip left.

Edited by BenchBuddah

Just reiterate everything most other people said a 4 man will do 2 people by the time you get your bits and pieces in it too. We have a six man for 3 of us. If the weather is bad you'll be glad of the storage area for wets boots etc

As in the ones you can now get from Argos for about £100?

Single skin, very draughty and you need a team to set them up.

Get a proper tent and then stay warm and dry :P

We bought a shit Tipi last year, (discounted to about £45) despite many years of multi- tent owning experience. For some reason we thought it would be a laugh! Well we were lucky... it did leak a bit but not a disaster and it was very spacious... actually enjoyed it (though heavy). However s single skinned tent is not clever and would be horrible big time in serious rain. Don't do it! Seriously! It's a play tent for good weather, that's all!

We bought a shit Tipi last year, (discounted to about £45) despite many years of multi- tent owning experience. For some reason we thought it would be a laugh! Well we were lucky... it did leak a bit but not a disaster and it was very spacious... actually enjoyed it (though heavy). However s single skinned tent is not clever and would be horrible big time in serious rain. Don't do it! Seriously! It's a play tent for good weather, that's all!

Although not going to Glasto this year, I'm going to V, and in need of a tent! Just wondering how good the Quechua ones are at waterproofing? Currently looking at this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/2-seconds-ii...49/#INFO-DETAIL

It's just for me and my stuff. Deceided we're all going to take our own tents, so we don't all end up pissing each other off :P

Anyway, anyone ever used one of these things before? If so, how was it?

Although not going to Glasto this year, I'm going to V, and in need of a tent! Just wondering how good the Quechua ones are at waterproofing? Currently looking at this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/2-seconds-ii...49/#INFO-DETAIL

It's just for me and my stuff. Deceided we're all going to take our own tents, so we don't all end up pissing each other off :P

Anyway, anyone ever used one of these things before? If so, how was it?