Negativity versus Positivity

Guest Hairywookie

I was just thinking back to this time last year and the amount of negativity surrounding the line-up. Just look at the difference this year on these boards, with barely a mention of a complaint! I had decided after last years line-up that V had gone down the path of a more pop music rooted festival and had sworn I would not be going this year. However, theyve pulled a fantastic line-up out of the bag this year and I ended up getting a ticket after all.

Do you think V would have picked up on last years negativity and taken it into consideration when picking this years line-up or do you think their selections have been made as they always have been. Furthermore, I filled in a survey from V recently asking me who I would like to headline next years festival, for which I picked Stone Roses (I wish), Paul McCartney and David Bowie as I would like to see something a bit different from the usual. However, the survey stated that the acts with the highest votes from last years survey are headlining this year, which doesnt surprise me considering its KOL and Kasabian. Whats everyones opinions on this, would you rather have an off kilt headliner or the in fashion band of the moment? Headliners have never rally sold a festival for me apart from V2003, so was just wondering what everyone elses take on this was....

PS only 24 more sleeps!!!!!!

I was just thinking back to this time last year and the amount of negativity surrounding the line-up. Just look at the difference this year on these boards, with barely a mention of a complaint! I had decided after last years line-up that V had gone down the path of a more pop music rooted festival and had sworn I would not be going this year. However, theyve pulled a fantastic line-up out of the bag this year and I ended up getting a ticket after all.

Do you think V would have picked up on last years negativity and taken it into consideration when picking this years line-up or do you think their selections have been made as they always have been. Furthermore, I filled in a survey from V recently asking me who I would like to headline next years festival, for which I picked Stone Roses (I wish), Paul McCartney and David Bowie as I would like to see something a bit different from the usual. However, the survey stated that the acts with the highest votes from last years survey are headlining this year, which doesnt surprise me considering its KOL and Kasabian. Whats everyones opinions on this, would you rather have an off kilt headliner or the in fashion band of the moment? Headliners have never rally sold a festival for me apart from V2003, so was just wondering what everyone elses take on this was....

PS only 24 more sleeps!!!!!!

Id rather have a special, feels likethis could be the only chance you get to see them headliner, at least for one of the headliners, even if it isn't main stage, but all the headliners aren't that special this year, maybe Pet Shop Boys and Air are the hardest to catch live.

But yeah Id love David Bowie or The Stone Roses to reform for a big paycheck, as long as im going that is!

Theres still a lot of pop on the bill to be honest, its just main stage is the best main stage throughout in years.

I loved it at first, not much variety in terms of headliners though. I though I loved Kasabian but the more I've listened the more I start to dislike them, Kings Of Leon are much better than I thought though. I think the main stage with KOL is absolutely top, can't get much better. Only thing at the back of my mind is the fact I'd much rather see Blink 182 and Arcade Fire than them two, but still.

Id rather have a special, feels likethis could be the only chance you get to see them headliner, at least for one of the headliners, even if it isn't main stage, but all the headliners aren't that special this year, maybe Pet Shop Boys and Air are the hardest to catch live.

But yeah Id love David Bowie or The Stone Roses to reform for a big paycheck, as long as im going that is!

Theres still a lot of pop on the bill to be honest, its just main stage is the best main stage throughout in years.

I like the way they have headliners as they are, i dont think V is the right festival for having a legends night (like at glasto) but what i would like to see one year would be like a supergroup - few different vocalists, guitarists etc from other bands that just get up and jam for the night doing their own songs and a few covers, that would be something different.

2001 was a good line up:

This was my first so it holds a special place in my heart!

V Stage: Texas, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Charlatans, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, David Gray, Faithless, Placebo, Embrace, Neil Finn, Nelly Furtado, Idlewild, The Spooks, Powderfinger, Jimmy Barnes, Witness

WTV Stage:, Muse, Toploader, JJ72, The Divine Comedy, Shed Seven, Doves, Wheatus, Public Image Limited, Starsailor, Ben Folds, Nina Persson, Spearhead, Webb Brothers, Phoenix, Turin Brakes, Snow Patrol, Ed Harcourt, Ben's Symphonic Orchestra, Lifehouse (Hylands Park only), Santa's Boyfriend (Weston Park only)

JJB Puma Arena: Kylie Minogue, Ian Brown, The Avalanches, Grandaddy, Mos Def, Tricky, Alabama 3, Sparklehouse, Zero 7, Rea and Christian, Atomic Kitten (Weston Park only both days), Red Snapper (Hylands Park only both days), Hooverphonic, Alfie, Big Dog, The Bush The Tree And Me, Relish

Slinky Dance Tent: Daniel Bailey, Andy Passman, Garry White, Scott Nuskool, Matt Cassar, Marc Vedo, Dave Lea, John Dale

Edited by Mr Nasty

2001 was my first year too so holds a special place for me as well,

I missed 2002 cus I had really bad flu, was only going for the Sunday anyway and was gunna get tickets off a tout, but was going Reading the following week so stayed in to be well for that and had been to TITP the month before too

2003 my son was born so didn't go, 2004 my mate had his wedding V weekend so couldn't go, then Ive been every year since 2005,6,7,8,9 and will be 2010!

Back to 2001 It was a great line up but if you look at Main stage now the top two on the Saturday were RHCP and the Foo Fighters underneath since huge draws today and RHCP's were still a great live band, and Foo's were just getting to the point of being a HUGE act, but the otherday was Texas headlining with The Charlatans underneath, Texas 4 years later headlined the 3rd stage and now Charlatans are headlining the 4th stage this year and didn't even headline the 3rd stage last time they played, weird how far some headliners can fall isn't it?

I watch the top 3 of Muse, JJ72 and Shed Seven on 2nd stage anyway instead of Texas and Charlatans are they were quality, great end to a perfect weekend, also V was a lot smaller back then, there seemed a lot more space in the campsites