electro/techno/house/trance ect ect ect ect

Guest Eh Ah Ken

look this might sound stupid but as rgulars will know ive been using this forum for around two years and many of you have turned me to some songs and acts that have tuely changed my life. i was just wondering if someone could take the time to explain to me what the difference is between the main genre's cause i am totally ignorant to it. i know theres some i love and some i hate. if anyone can help that would be most super awesome and in return i shall compliment your user name.

thanks.

There are no stupid questions...

Interesting to hear what peoples answers are to this, as different people would use different definitions. One of my mates argues that all the sub genres are a bad thing and that it is all just Electronic Dance Music. Then again, he loves his Tech House.

Truth is I wouldn't know where to begin on this one without it sounding like a really boring history lesson and even then a loada people would say I was wrong anyway.

Chances are that you will like some stuff within one genre but not all. I imagine you like some rock and hate others? There is a shit load of trance that leaves me cold, yet I love Paul Van Dyk.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, sorry.

Electro - generally a catch all title for anything poppy and gash

Techno - Doesn't have vocals and sounds like a deeper house.

House - Many sub genres from shitey soulful stuff at the top end to techy house where techno and house meet at the bottom (and quality) end. Standard 4/4 beat

Trance - Psytrance is a lot like old acid house and is the biggest and best underground dance culture around and most exciting. Other trance - generally shitey commercial dance music that you should never listen to ever. But every festival should have a psy tent. Faster BPM than house and techno. Most people who like house and techno dont like trance (but do like psytrance)and vice versa. Neds tend to be at the trance end of the dance spectrum.

D n B - If you are over 9, you need to take a shit load of drugs to be able to dance to D n B all night. Far too many BPM.

Dubstep - the most pointless dance music ever created.

Job sorted there I think

thanks guys.

theampersanddevil: i like the way your name has an ampersand in it and i know what one is when most of my friends dont. i like to think that makes me and you slightly smarter than most of my friends.

llcoolphill: i like that your name is a parody and i get the reference when most of my friends dont. i like to think that makes me and you slightly smarter than most of my friends.

Not to forget one of the biggest sub genres, or one can argue the main genre from which a lot of Electronic music is derived, that which has been referred to as Intelligent Dance Music (IDM) or Electronica.

This style of Electronic music emerged as far back as the early 80s, brought to the fore by Masters in the art such as Brian Eno, who's ambient experimental sounds inspired a generation. However most artists in this genre would have emerged in the late 80s/early 90s, people like Aphex Twin and Autechre who introduced a range of post-techno styles which can be described as ambient or intelligent dance music infused with heavy DnB. Their sounds can have an almost atmospheric quality.

This broad form of dance music tends to rely on individualistic experimentation rather than on a particular set of musical characteristics. This experimental aspect tends to lean the music towards a listener with a more acquired taste.

Artists around now who fall into this bracket include Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, Boards of Canada, Four Tet, The Black Dog, Mu-Ziq, Flying Lotus, Ulrich Schnauss etc etc etc.

window licker: i like that you and Katie Price's children have the same hobbies

only the best for my number one fans