pulp

Guest LEDZEP66

I've always thought of lyrics as the icing on the cake in songwriting terms. It's the music that grabs me first, long before I learn the lyrics so if the music is w*nk, I never get to remembering or understanding the lyrics beyond a couple of clever lines that might ring out. That said, some of my favourite songs - particularly growers - tend to have clever lyrics. A lot of them are Smiths songs, because as we know, Morrissey is the king of wordplay.

If I was to pick a favourite Pulp song, it would probably be Babies or Help The Aged. No particular reason.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought of lyrics as the icing on the cake in songwriting terms. It's the music that grabs me first, long before I learn the lyrics so if the music is w*nk, I never get to remembering or understanding the lyrics beyond a couple of clever lines that might ring out. That said, some of my favourite songs - particularly growers - tend to have clever lyrics. A lot of them are Smiths songs, because as we know, Morrissey is the king of wordplay.

If I was to pick a favourite Pulp song, it would probably be Babies or Help The Aged. No particular reason.

This is most definitely how I am, a lot of bands where people are going on about beautiful lyrics and deep and everything but when I give them a blast the music just doesn't grab me, so I never really listen to the lyrics.

This has been one of the things that have grabbed me with pretty much everyone liking Pulp is in the humour etc in the lyrics, but when I'd blasted through the Greatest Hits, the lyrics weren't shouting out at me, which is why I asked for recommendations earlier in the thread, so I can start with a specific album to listen to a few times and then work on from there if I can get into them more (currently I'm at the I wouldn't mind seeing them, but could easily be sacrificed for someone else).

Edited by irons

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour Pulp's 1995 headline set at Glastonbury is on BBC4 at 10.30pm on Friday 17 December.

It's on after a documentary about festivals (with apparently a lot of focus on Glastonbury).

Also on Sunday at 1.15am, they are showing an hour of Radiohead's 1997 headline set.

Just seen this on Glastonbury newsfeed on Facebook.

Will be having a scan to help judge how keen I am on seeing Pulp (haven't had chance to get albums previously recommended yet).

Guest blackcockerel

Someone who is in touch with Jarvis's publicist has said something on a Pulp forum about them not wanting to do any US tour dates because "They don't want to play Massy Hall and Terminal 5 if they're closing Glastonbury overseas."

Guest blackcockerel

Dunno, I suppose it shows how much Glastonbury love them compared to the US. A lot of people understandably can't see why they would be headlining when they were doing bad commercially by 2002, but the fans know better!

Guest blackcockerel

Turns out the person who spoke to the publicist was using Glasto as an example and didn't specifically ask, sorry. They have said they're going to though, but I bet they won't tell them!