pulp

Guest LEDZEP66

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be excellent. I really hope they headline the Other. I'm not electrified about any of the mooted Pyramid headliners this year (apart from Prince, which I think is becoming increasingly unlikely) so would like to see at least one good headline set at one of the bigger stages. This would put a very big tick in that box very nicely.

Is it overly pedantic to point out that the "original lineup" split sometime in the late 70s when they were still at school and that it would be more accurate to refer to them as the classic lineup?

If theres even the slightest chance that they'll be there I may cry at the fact I don't have a Glasto ticket :(

I've always been surprised that Pulp have so much love on here, but was never sure if it was just "a few" rather than the majority. Obviously can see from this thread that most think they'd headline, which still surprises me to some extents.

I only know a few Pulp songs, but after all the love on here I got the Greatest Hits album a while back and have listened to it a fair bit recently (don't know if it is the best place to start or not), but still only "know" Common People, Disco 2000, Help The Aged, Misshapes (although having a quick scan at Last.fm Babies is also up there.

As an additional aside, from looking at Last.fm they only have 13.3million plays, which is pretty low. Do most of the people on here who think that they should only headline the Pyramid ones who saw them in 1995 and 1998 so know more about them, than they'd possibly be known in the mainstream?

(Last.fm obviously isn't 100% accurate as it's worldwide appeal which gets the plays, but if you look through mooted headliners the mainstream acts usually push up to the kind of levels you'd expect).

I'm likely to see them I'd say, but will depend what slot and who they're against.

Edited by 1mills

This is a massive understatement - last.fm or whatever is basically irrelevant to this discussion.

While I'm sure that they've had some success abroad, Pulp are a very British band, moreso than any previous Pyramid headliners I can think of. I'd overanalyze it more, but just sound pretentious - you've heard the songs.

Edited by 1mills

I love Pulp and am over the moon that they are reforming. I really hope they play glasto next year too.

I'm surprised they have been put on the rumours list on the Pyramid stage though. I think they are more suited to headlining the Other Stage personally. I'm assuming Neil has got some inside info to suggest the pyramid.

I'd love to see them headline it but would be surprised to see it if we do get U2/Coldplay/Prince etc turning up. None of them would 'lower themselves' play before Pulp, their egos couldn't take it.

Either way it's all good news that Pulp are getting back together. :)

Sorry that's what I was trying to say in I know that Last.fm is more of a worldwide appeal when judging overall plays, so it doesn't really count, but the play count on Pulp does seem quite low even for a "British only band" that are that massive they could ONLY headline the Pyramid.

I'm surprised they have been put on the rumours list on the Pyramid stage though. I think they are more suited to headlining the Other Stage personally. I'm assuming Neil has got some inside info to suggest the pyramid.

I initially did put them against the other stage, but after a bit of consideration moved them to Pyramid.

I reckon there's as much if not more chance of them playing the Pyramid than the other stage, and I'm along way from ruling them out as being a possible headliner. In many ways they're too small to headline, while in other ways they're eminently suitable as headliner.

IMO, they're certainly a more suitable headline band for Glastonbury than Take That.

Money, of course.

The "reform rule" is in play. They want the money.

But I also think they'll want Glastonbury too (and have info to back that up) - after all, it was rumours of them reforming for Glasto which cropped up about a year ago that have probably been the driving force behind actually reforming.

Sorry to be really really nit-picking but V96 was never called V96. Being a saddo I've kept all my gig tickets and the first year Virgin sponsored a music event at Hylands Park Chelmsford in 1996 all the ticket showed was Pulp as headliners. Yes it was sponsored by Vigin Cola and had (at least) 2 stages but it was billed as just a Pulp gig.

As a matter of interest the next year it was billed as V97 and run on the same format.

Extreme nit-picking over!

I initially did put them against the other stage, but after a bit of consideration moved them to Pyramid.

I reckon there's as much if not more chance of them playing the Pyramid than the other stage, and I'm along way from ruling them out as being a possible headliner. In many ways they're too small to headline, while in other ways they're eminently suitable as headliner.

IMO, they're certainly a more suitable headline band for Glastonbury than Take That.

I know, but what I don't get is why Wireless would want them when they could book a more contemporary act to bring in just as many people for less money, especially if their facebook page is an accurate representation of their established customer base. I much prefer Pulp doing Wireless and presumably Glasto over doing some UK exclusive at R/L or V, don't get me wrong, I'm just curious.

I understand where you're coming from, but I doubt there's any act they could get any cheaper which will bring in as many punters. While Pulp weren't a mega-act in their day, there's people now who didn't have the chance to see them in their day, so there's ten+ years of 'new' fans for them to attract.

People are attracted to a fest via the line-up - so if those people are saying they don't like Pulp, they're very unlikely to shell out their money to see a band who they don't like. Of course there'll be other acts on the bill, but those other acts are likely to be ones with a close-ish fit to pulp - so those people probably won't like those either.

Anyway, there's stuff (including stuff I've not said here, and won't) that strongly implies they'll be doing glasto, so I'm very confident (tho not 100% certain) they'll be seen at Worthy Farm in June. :)

I understand where you're coming from, but I doubt there's any act they could get any cheaper which will bring in as many punters. While Pulp weren't a mega-act in their day, there's people now who didn't have the chance to see them in their day, so there's ten+ years of 'new' fans for them to attract.

People are attracted to a fest via the line-up - so if those people are saying they don't like Pulp, they're very unlikely to shell out their money to see a band who they don't like. Of course there'll be other acts on the bill, but those other acts are likely to be ones with a close-ish fit to pulp - so those people probably won't like those either.

Anyway, there's stuff (including stuff I've not said here, and won't) that strongly implies they'll be doing glasto, so I'm very confident (tho not 100% certain) they'll be seen at Worthy Farm in June. :)