Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't say i'm too interested in any of the headliners but I won't deny they're all decent bookings.

I'll quite happily go see someone headline one of the many other stages, or even better get a head start on the late night areas.:)

imo she has everything there to put on a good show, depending on guests, set lists and her personally but if she does or not is another story... This set will go down as a disaster or be a resounding success. But as stated earlier i hope it doesnt become one of those cliche "can she overcome the odds" stories like with Mr Carter. On paper U2 look as if they will put on the best set. My main gripe is beyonce closing the festival especially with a fallow year. She should swap with Coldplay or even U2

Guest blackcockerel

Right, I'm over the let down now and can look at it objectively. Great headliners for many and there's no denying that most festivals would kill to get acts like these. Just not great for me personally. I don't know when I'll get to Glasto again after this one so it would have meant a lot to me for Pulp to get top slot again, after seeing them on TV there in 95 is what inspired me to go in the first place. But times have changed (for the worse in my eyes) and Beyonce is seen as the bigger draw so there you go.

And yeah, I found the whole hype around Jay Z in 08 very tedious and hope we won't get all that again. And if she wants to not be remembered as a failure then that setlist will have to change from the one posted here!

Right, I'm over the let down now and can look at it objectively. Great headliners for many and there's no denying that most festivals would kill to get acts like these. Just not great for me personally. I don't know when I'll get to Glasto again after this one so it would have meant a lot to me for Pulp to get top slot again, after seeing them on TV there in 95 is what inspired me to go in the first place. But times have changed (for the worse in my eyes) and Beyonce is seen as the bigger draw so there you go.

And yeah, I found the whole hype around Jay Z in 08 very tedious and hope we won't get all that again. And if she wants to not be remembered as a failure then that setlist will have to change from the one posted here!

Beyonce is an interesting, different and good booking for the festival. Get over it. U2/Coldplay/Radiohead would have been such a step sideways.

I would also bet Jay Z does not join her for any performances. If Gaga is in the UK, I could maybe see 'Telephone' happening. However Beyonce will want to own the slot, much like Jay Z did a few years ago.

I also think Arcade Fire rumours are just wishfull thinking. And they would literally be the first thing on my "must see" list if so. I just don't think they will happen (despite what I've said previously).

For the first time I'm seriously underwhelmed, but thats fine as I'll just pop off somewhere different

Only been two years, but Sunday finishers have always been highlights for me - Blur and Stevie - awesome. Cannot see it with Bouncy, so I shall look forward to seeing who is playing OS or JP and head there instead for my 'closing act high'

May be the first year that I don;t touch the pyramid for headliners- seen U2 and Coldplay before and although both good live bands it's time to try something different :rolleyes:

Just logged on and waded through most of this. Have to say I'm getting deja vu on the Stevie Wonder announcement last year. Not many thought he warranted the slot. Even fewer were actually excited about it. I thought it was an inspired booking and knew it would be a deathbed memory and was right. Whilst I'm not a Beyonce fan, there are many parallels between the two and it wouldn't surprise me if she ends up being the talk of the festival.

What I don't really get is why people appear so surprised and are focussing it all on Beyonce. Thinking back, Glasto has often had variety across the three headline acts on the Pyramid, so U2/Coldplay were pretty likely to be balanced out with something that contrasts and Beyonce does that perfectly.

Worthy headliners? Without doubt I reckon. All socially conscious, all hugely successful. Probably the only pattern that Glasto headliners seem to fit.

Lastly, why do people here (or a majority) seem to equate pop with lack of credibility? It's as valid a musical style as any other and like most genre has good and bad. FWIW I think Beyonce rates pretty high in the "RnB/pop" spectrum in terms of quality of output. Single Ladies, Crazy in Love, Work it Out and Halo are all great songs. That's 4 more than most artists that get slotted in the same category.

Edited by 4AssedMonkey

Lastly, why do people here (or a majority) seem to equate pop with lack of credibility?

Exactly right there have been some great pop songs over the last few years from the likes of Beyonce, Robyn, Rihanna, Girls Aloud, Kylie etc . Admittedly probably not written by them but still decent imho.

(just realised my list of great pop songs are all by hot women!)

Just logged on and waded through most of this. Have to say I'm getting deja vu on the Stevie Wonder announcement last year. Not many thought he warranted the slot. Even fewer were actually excited about it. I thought it was an inspired booking and knew it would be a deathbed memory and was right. Whilst I'm not a Beyonce fan, there are many parallels between the two and it wouldn't surprise me if she ends up being the talk of the festival.

What I don't really get is why people appear so surprised and are focussing it all on Beyonce. Thinking back, Glasto has often had variety across the three headline acts on the Pyramid, so U2/Coldplay were pretty likely to be balanced out with something that contrasts and Beyonce does that perfectly.

Worthy headliners? Without doubt I reckon. All socially conscious, all hugely successful. Probably the only pattern that Glasto headliners seem to fit.

Lastly, why do people here (or a majority) seem to equate pop with lack of credibility? It's as valid a musical style as any other and like most genre has good and bad. FWIW I think Beyonce rates pretty high in the "RnB/pop" spectrum in terms of quality of output. Single Ladies, Crazy in Love, Work it Out and Halo are all great songs. That's 4 more than most artists that get slotted in the same category.

The idea that someone who has been performing since she was seven, writing since she was 14, who last year was named by Forbes as the most powerful and influential musician in the world, who has won 16 Grammys and sold over 75 million records is "not big enough" to headline Glastonbury is nonsense. The idea that bands like Pulp or Arcade Fire should have got the nod ahead of her is laughable. And the idea that one of the most electrifying performers of her generation should in some way need help from other artists to carry it off is plain insulting.

I'm not the biggest fan, haven't bought any of her material since Survivor but I reckon it'll be epic.

I only know two Bouncy songs. Crazy in Love and that one about putting your finger up her ring.

Having said that I think it's a good booking, something different from another guitar band.

I'm personally pleased with the three headliners as I have no desire to see any of them, thus when I am elsewhere I won't have that slight niggling feeling of "should I have gone to see them" like I would have had with someone like the Stones.

Exactly right there have been some great pop songs over the last few years from the likes of Beyonce, Robyn, Rihanna, Girls Aloud, Kylie etc . Admittedly probably not written by them but still decent imho.

(just realised my list of great pop songs are all by hot women!)

I had already made up my mind this was to be my last Glastonbury....nothing to do with the festival, its more my age and to be honest while i am looking forward to this year,some how my enthusiasm is no longer there, and looking at this years headliners makes it even less,ok i don't have to watch any of them,and proberbly won't,if i had to watch any i would give U2 a look,Coldplay are just plain boring and if the Bouncy Lady rumor is true i feel Eavis has lost the plot again. Last year i did not go anywere near any of the Headliners,andf had hoped he would have go his act together...no chance though. Is it him or Emily who have the final say,who ever picked Bouncy wants to step back and look what they are doing to Glastonbury...before its to late

I had already made up my mind this was to be my last Glastonbury....nothing to do with the festival, its more my age and to be honest while i am looking forward to this year,some how my enthusiasm is no longer there, and looking at this years headliners makes it even less,ok i don't have to watch any of them,and proberbly won't,if i had to watch any i would give U2 a look,Coldplay are just plain boring and if the Bouncy Lady rumor is true i feel Eavis has lost the plot again. Last year i did not go anywere near any of the Headliners,andf had hoped he would have go his act together...no chance though. Is it him or Emily who have the final say,who ever picked Bouncy wants to step back and look what they are doing to Glastonbury...before its to late

Quality pop music deserves as much recognition as any other genre - be it Rock, Folk, Classical, whatever. Beyonce is truly an artist of huge popularity - who is immensely talented to boot. This is why I think her performance will be a truly great occasion for those who don't have this chip on their shoulder about musical credibility.