Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

If you'd have told me that U2, Coldplay, Pulp and Arcade Fire would all be SRs at this stage at the end of last year's festival I'd have taken it gladly.

I completely agree with ME's decision (though I suspect EE might have had a lot to do with it) to keep the headliners fresh with a slot for Beyonce. Can't say that I'll be in a mad dash to watch her but I'm in no doubt whatsoever that there will be something I'll love on one of the other stages (I seem to remember finishing the 2005 festival with The Beautiful South on the Acoustic).

Really doubt Jay-Z will join Beyonce on the Sunday (he didn't need her...) but I wouldn't be shocked if he joined Mr. Martin and company on the Saturday. On that subject surely one of the Muse boys will return The Edge's favour on the Friday too? A cover of Plug In Baby would be very welcome.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with decent pop at all, where the singers come on and actually sing, instead of singing a few notes, then acting like a striper for most of the song.(See single laddies VMA video). I am sure Beyonce has a great voice, fact is she dosn't rely on it, she relies on being nothing more than a glorified lap dancer for most of the show...

I do love that if you think Beyonce is a shit headliner on here you automatically just want guitar bands :lol:

Really excited about seeing u2 on the pyramid, not very excited about beyonce. The one for me is Coldplay, im not the biggest fan of them now and if the Chemicals are on the other stage i may well go and see them but just remembered tonight how good Coldplay were in 2002 and now i'm not so sure.

Nothing wrong with decent pop at all, where the singers come on and actually sing, instead of singing a few notes, then acting like a striper for most of the song.(See single laddies VMA video). I am sure Beyonce has a great voice, fact is she dosn't rely on it, she relies on being nothing more than a glorified lap dancer for most of the show...

I do love that if you think Beyonce is a shit headliner on here you automatically just want guitar bands :lol:

Before it's too late for you or the festival in general?

Stop with the narrow mindedness please.

Quality pop music deserves as much recognition as any other genre - be it Rock, Folk, Classical, whatever. Beyonce is truly an artist of huge popularity - who is immensely talented to boot. This is why I think her performance will be a truly great occasion for those who don't have this chip on their shoulder about musical credibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy0Kw8s5n80

she's good looking and can sing, sure, but a bit too MTV polished for me and not someone I'd go watch a headline slot for when there's so many other places to go and things to do at Glastonbury. I'm not dissappointed, I think it's the classic JZ debate all over again ("This doesnt suit Glasto", "the bookings are going down hill"), I'll be happy in the knowledge that while she's on she's a big enough performer to pull a decent sized crowd and therefore free up the rest of the site a bit leaving me to go watch someone I prefer in a less crowded space, perfect.

Coldplay are also a big act to book, I've seen them 2 or 3 times before and their latest stuff isn't enough to drag me back to see them again but again, I'll be happy to know there's a lot of people who will be there and so the site is less crowded for a time while I watch someone else.

U2 I've never seen and would certainly rate as one of the biggest bands on the planet, I agree not everyone's cup of tea and that Bono can be a bit annoying but I feel that like Stevie last year they'll put on one hell of a show as they know how important it is. I wouldnt normally be bothered to fight the legions of U2 fans to get tickets and pay the extortionate price for a tour date but will quite happily see at Glasto as a 1 great night in many..

Edited by didsbury_chef

U2 is massive! Quite simply the only festival that could get them is Glastonbury! I think their show will be legendary. Coldplay again another great booking, I've seen them half a dozen times never been disappointed . I think this year though I'll may just be elsewhere, too much else to see and do. Beyonce Is a weird one! Personally quite like her, crazy in love is a brilliant tune and destiny's child had some brilliant songs, depends what set she puts on, it could be fantastic! End of the day as is constantly quoted on here Glastonbury offers so much more than the headliners, I still think arcade fire, elbow, pulp, bright eyes, Interpol to name a few will be turning up over the weekend . The nick I intend to be in!! I'd watch two drips running down a window and would enjoy it!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if Beyonce (yeah calling her Bouncy is sexist) has been moved up who were the headliners they were going for? As I understood it, it's Coldplay who had been moved into the slot penciled in for The Stones no?

For me, in all the years I've been going or intend to carry on going they're never going to beat the Pyramid headliners of 2009 but that felt like an aberation. Normal service has been resumed and that's fine. I had a great time watching The XX on The Park and Pet Shop Boys on The Other last year.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if Beyonce (yeah calling her Bouncy is sexist) has been moved up who were the headliners they were going for? As I understood it, it's Coldplay who had been moved into the slot penciled in for The Stones no?

My belief is that the story that The Sun reported at the weekend is wrong. I believe that Coldplay were booked for the Saturday with Beyonce below them, but Beyonce has been moved into the slot that The Stones were hopefully going to have on the Sunday.

2) All 3 headliners, like them or not, think they're hypocrites or not, all 3 of them share a certain philanthropy, an awareness of social concerns, whatever you want to call it. That is not a minor consideration, they all, very clearly, fit into Glastonbury's ethos. That, more than anything else is what sets them aside from other acts, those at T4 or V or any place else. Don't underestimate how important that is. It's more important for the festival as a whole than the type of music they play.

Lastly, why do people here (or a majority) seem to equate pop with lack of credibility?

Exactly right there have been some great pop songs over the last few years from the likes of Beyonce, Robyn, Rihanna, Girls Aloud, Kylie etc . Admittedly probably not written by them but still decent imho.

(just realised my list of great pop songs are all by hot women!)

ANother thing be keep in mind is the dirrerent TV audience that Beyonce will attract. As with JZ, i'm sure that a lot of people that would never normally watch any Glastonbury coverage, may now tune in to see Beyonce. Hopefully they'll like what they see and may be tempted to come along themselves. As much as I love Glastonbury, the crowd isn't very multi-cultural and i'm sure the Eavis' would like to address this.

f**k, that would probably be the worst problem of the weekend for me if Pulp are on before Beyonce, and The Libertines are headlining The Other Stage. I have absolutely no interest in seeing Beyonce but I really want to see Pulp and The Libertines if they play. The saving grace I suppose is Pulp are at IOW and Giddings is trying to get The Libertines as well. Still, I fancy seeing both bands twice, its the only time i'll ever see them probably.

If its Primal Scream, The Chemical Brothers and The Libertines I'll probably be at The Other Stage for the headliners every night, unless theres something special on one of the smaller stages or they manage to get someone amazing before the headliners on the Pyramid who I couldn't miss. The thought of U2, Coldplay and Beyonce doesn't excite me though.