Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

Now of course I’ve got no argument in the ‘is she big enough to headline?’ argument. Of course she is and you’d be a fool to argue otherwise. However, does she deserve to headline? IMO it’s a clear No!

I always thought you needed some kind of musical credibility to headline Glastonbury. That when you did, you were not only a great artist/band but also one who was big enough in size to be able to play the headline slot. And Beyonce and musical ability don’t really go together to an extent that she’s able to do it. I’m not denying that she hasn’t put a few good singles out. Crazy in Love was very good. Survivor wasn’t bad. But a small amount in a large amount of to be kind, mediocrity. And the argument that she writes her own songs is a poor one. Her songs will come from the huge amount of samples she’s given and her and her producer and team will work with those. She might add the lyrics and maybe add an extra layer or two to a few tracks. It’s hardly beginning and making the chord progression in ‘Strawberry fields forever’ with an acoustic guitar and then making it the masterpiece that it ends up with. The same with say ‘the Masterplan’ or ‘This Charming Man’. It’s very little work that goes into it from her point of view and you’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise. And I don’t care how good her voice is. No matter how good it is, if you’re singing over garbage the end product will still be garbage. She hasn’t the music to go with it like someone such as Freddie Mercury did.

And what confounds me about the decision is why put a mainstream pop act on now to headline? Yeah there was Kylie 5 years ago, but why now? The pop market is in a shocking state atm and if you look at the pop acts over the past 40 years of Glastonbury’s existence you’ve got to say they were clearly much better acts than Beyonce. So I’m a bit confused that they have now decided to put Beyonce on when better acts could have been on the slot in previous years. It’s not like I can see ME complaining about the state of mainstream pop at home and then deciding that he must now have Beyonce because shes that good compared to the other pop acts that he's had to contend with in his lifetime.

I have no reason with a pop act headlining at the festival if it's good music, but Beyonce isn't that. As I said I thought you needed something about yourself to headline Glastonbury, this choice makes me feel thats maybe not the case. A good c.v backed with album sales to kids and radio 1 listeners gets you it seems.

I truly hope Pulp are on before her and I hope the rumours of Libertines headlining the Other Stage turn out to be true. If not it'd be even better to ME have the balls to ask Noel Gallagher to do it at the same time. I sadly can't see that happening though. A superstar with little musical talent to someone with quite a bit. Be nice to see whether the crowd go along with former or latter.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what confounds me about the decision is why put a mainstream pop act on now to headline? Yeah there was Kylie 5 years ago, but why now? The pop market is in a shocking state atm and if you look at the pop acts over the past 40 years of Glastonbury’s existence you’ve got to say they were clearly much better acts than Beyonce. So I’m a bit confused that they have now decided to put Beyonce on when better acts could have been on the slot in previous years. It’s not like I can see ME complaining about the state of mainstream pop at home and then deciding that he must now have Beyonce because shes that good compared to the other pop acts that he's had to contend with in his lifetime.

No perfume as far as I know (god alone knows what eau du Richards would smell like) but the Stones have proved themselves far greedier over the years in terms of sponsorship, tax dodging and corporate whoring than pretty much any other band ever. How much do they need? More than Glastonbury can afford, it seems.

Excellent booking. It's this sort of thing that makes Glasto what it is. Proper marque signing ; and to get headliners like that for a fraction of the money that other fests offer just shows how very far ahead the whole place is.

Edited by sifi

Er, really? I mean, I'm not really down with the kids any more but I don't recognise anything "different" in the Libertines music to anything that went before or has come since. I'm certainly not convinced they changed anything.

Maybe I just don't "get it" but I wouldn't generally consider anything of this sub-standard as being good enough to open JP, let alone headline Pyramid.

Now of course I’ve got no argument in the ‘is she big enough to headline?’ argument. Of course she is and you’d be a fool to argue otherwise. However, does she deserve to headline? IMO it’s a clear No!

I always thought you needed some kind of musical credibility to headline Glastonbury. That when you did, you were not only a great artist/band but also one who was big enough in size to be able to play the headline slot. And Beyonce and musical ability don’t really go together to an extent that she’s able to do it. I’m not denying that she hasn’t put a few good singles out. Crazy in Love was very good. Survivor wasn’t bad. But a small amount in a large amount of to be kind, mediocrity. And the argument that she writes her own songs is a poor one. Her songs will come from the huge amount of samples she’s given and her and her producer and team will work with those. She might add the lyrics and maybe add an extra layer or two to a few tracks. It’s hardly beginning and making the chord progression in ‘Strawberry fields forever’ with an acoustic guitar and then making it the masterpiece that it ends up with. The same with say ‘the Masterplan’ or ‘This Charming Man’. It’s very little work that goes into it from her point of view and you’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise. And I don’t care how good her voice is. No matter how good it is, if you’re singing over garbage the end product will still be garbage. She hasn’t the music to go with it like someone such as Freddie Mercury did.

I have no reason with a pop act headlining at the festival if it's good music, but Beyonce isn't that. As I said I thought you needed something about yourself to headline Glastonbury, this choice makes me feel thats maybe not the case. A good c.v backed with album sales to kids and radio 1 listeners gets you it seems.

I truly hope Pulp are on before her and I hope the rumours of Libertines headlining the Other Stage turn out to be true. If not it'd be even better to ME have the balls to ask Noel Gallagher to do it at the same time. I sadly can't see that happening though. A superstar with little musical talent to someone with quite a bit. Be nice to see whether the crowd go along with former or latter.

I'm the same tbh. Yet another band from the last decade that just left me underwhelmed.

Maybe its cos I'm getting old, I dunno, but I just don't see anything new or innovative in rock music these days. Its all been done before, and done a LOT better.

I wouldn't describe the Libertines as pointless, they might not be to your taste but when they began they completely changed British guitar music, it had all gone a bit downhill and they came out with a new style that has influenced music greatly ever since

Er, really? I mean, I'm not really down with the kids any more but I don't recognise anything "different" in the Libertines music to anything that went before or has come since. I'm certainly not convinced they changed anything.

Maybe I just don't "get it" but I wouldn't generally consider anything of this sub-standard as being good enough to open JP, let alone headline Pyramid.

The Libertines - MEH! Pete Docherty is just a scabby skank who has produced nothing of any real note or talent or difference to a lot of other bands out there. He made more of a name for himself by been an overdose waiting to happen. Falls into the same bracket as Winehouse, however she does actually have a talent, but is just too much of a loser to ever realise it