Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

I still find it odd that Beyonce's headlining, but if The Libertines are confirmed to headline the Other Stage then I'll be happy enough. At least they're seeking out big enough alternatives for the other stages.

Otherwise, I don't have any problem with U2 or Coldplay headlining, both bands are huge and appreciate what an honour it is to headline the biggest festival in the world.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear... I think the point you're making is that choosing headliners is difficult. They need a body of work (not a one or two LP flash in the pan) and to appeal to the masses.. AND will do it from under £1m ... I guess Glasto is running out of these!

OK I'll have a crack though!

Fri - Prince

Sat - Bowie

Sun - Stones (not a fan but it would have been a cool booking!)

I love how this debate rages time and time again- that this act isn't big enough, or too mainstream, or criticised for being million sellers, or not hip enough! Glastonbury 'needs' memorable headline performers - its what keeps the festival at the very top and what gets shown time and time again on television. But being great or the current 'in' band does not make a memorable headline performance. I have seen too many 'great' bands turn up and just perform their act as if that is whats makes it into the annals of history of Glastonbury. To be a memorable performance there has to be a connection, a performance that grabs the moment and where there is a clear relationship between act, audience and the festival.

Think last year of how Damon by his own admission got Gorillaz performance wrong by alienating the crowd - nothing wrong with the performance but not going to go down in Glastonbury history. Or Muse who were musically perfect but a show lacking in emotion. Now compare with Blur in 2009 (which I tragically decided to miss - for Gong?) and see how the moment and the crowd's reaction and the passion of Damon made that a truely memorable headline set. I am a huge Neil Young fan but he didn't nail it - the reviews were excellent (he is a class performer after all) but the performance did not grasp the moment at all. Why is Radiohead's 1997 headline slot more memorable than their (instantly forgettable) 2003 one? The answer is simple - given the unexpected opportunity to grab the moment they took it with passion and determination whilst the on-stage sound problems created an edge and a conection between the audience and the band. Being the band of the moment isn't the issue its about what the act puts into the performance and how much they want it to be remembered. Bowie did it whilst Oasis showed utter contempt for the festival and refused to talk to the crowd. Its why Arcade Fire shouldn't headline yet (their last appearance showed a dislike of the festival and failed to grab the crowd) but why despite the sneers Take That could provide a memorable headline slot!

So to this year. U2 have not played a UK festival for god knows how long (remember seeing them at Rock on the Tyne!), they have a real sense of the occasion (Live Aid, Red Rocks) and remember the audience reaction when The Edge walked onto Muse's set - the ingredients are there for something special. Coldplay are not everyone's cup of tea but they love the festival, know how to involve an audience and how to construct a set-list to build and hold the connection. I never listen to Coldplay albums but do listen to the bootlegs of their 2000, 2002 and 2005 performances - they are powerful stuff. I decided not to watch 2005 and went to see Robert Plant but after 15 minutes of disappointment returned to the Pyramid and I am glad I did - the banter, sing-alongs and Kylie tribute made it a memorable headline performance. From that early afternoon Other Stage slot they just got it. Beyonce is not my cup of tea but then again neither was Jay-Z and i got something from that one too!

Not the edgiest of acts but acts who could provide Glastonbury 2011 with some memorable headline performances - we have a role in making Glastonbury history - sometimes see the ingredients and potentially allow yourself when you are as old as I am to say "i was there when...! Damm i wish I had listened to myself for Blur!!

Well you're a bit of a tit aren't you.

It's been said before by others and I echo it now. Beyonce is not for me, nor as it happens are the Libs if the that rumour comes to fruition. However because I have more than one functioning brain cell I know I'll find something and even if not then either of those will still be a great show. I know this as I know people who have raved about both and also the Eavii would not have booked them if they weren't confident of a great show - particularly on the last night for 2 years.

I wasn't going to have a go at the above post and just leave it at your a tit but I will say this. Coldplay only seem like the go-to band because they are rumoured EVERY FLIPPING YEAR!!! Just like sodding Radiohead, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers and at least one of the previous year's headliners (anyone else noticed that?). I'm a massive fan of all of them but never even read the rumours as I know they will not be true (except under conditions like this year).

My advice to anyone wanting a truly epic live experience, see both U2 and Coldplay. They are as great as both Blur and Muse in a live environment and we know the rep they have round these parts. If you don't then go to Shangri-La, Strummerville, the Dance Village whatever you want to get your rocks off.

In short, stop f*cking bitching about Beyonce, there are over 1000 acts over 5 days at this ruddy festival - If you are going to get all hormonal because some 'rap guy's girlfriend' is headlining then don't bother paying off your balance in April because you just don't get it.

*steps off soapbox*

Beyonce is demonstrably better

a) any tribute bands, bootleg beatles, whatever

B) any reformed 1990s indie failures getting back together to pay their mortagages/ child maintenance.

at least she's released something of worth in the last 10 years, is relevant and fits it with the 'contemporary' bit of 'Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts'

Let's not forget that Marc Bolan and T.Rex were derided by many at the time for being 'pop. So you naysayers would have been in heaven back in 1970 :)

I do find it strange that everyone who defends her closing the festival seems to start posts with Beyonce is not for me but......... I mean WFT ? I am fully aware with my one brain cell <_< that I will find something else. In other years I may have disliked some of the headliners but I could see why they were playing and how I may even take something from going along to see them.

You can sometimes appreciate the talent behind something without liking it and even have a yearning to maybe get out of your comfort zone and go see something different. Glasto often presents these opportunities but Beyonce is not even close to being one of those artists. She doesn't transcend musical boundaries in that way and I can't imagine unless your already a fan why you would go see her. Stick her in another slot but to close Glastonbury for two years on the main stage is just wrong on so many levels.

I would have replied to this in more detail but anyone who resorts to name calling just isn't worth the effort. Attack the post not the poster mate and leave the name calling to the kids.

Beyonce is demonstrably better

a) any tribute bands, bootleg beatles, whatever

B) any reformed 1990s indie failures getting back together to pay their mortagages/ child maintenance.

at least she's released something of worth in the last 10 years, is relevant and fits it with the 'contemporary' bit of 'Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts'

Let's not forget that Marc Bolan and T.Rex were derided by many at the time for being 'pop. So you naysayers would have been in heaven back in 1970 :)

Edited by The Nal

I can't believe [insert band here] are headlining. they are just not suitable for Glastonbury at all. I think that [insert completely implausible band here eg Led Zep/Beatles/Elvis or generic fanboy band eg Radiohead / Libertines] should headline instead they are definitely worth it. I would rather [remove my own kidneys / cut my ears off / rape a badger / suck off jonny vegas / other - delete as applicable or use, if other please specify] than watch [first mentioned band(s)].

[for next part please choose one of the possible endings]

1. I am going to [sell / burn / eat / compost / other] my ticket cause this is a load of sh*t, f*ck you Eavii!

2. I guess I will find something else as there is plenty going on and there is always something worth seeing

3. other - [insert angsty bullshit ridden burst of anger despite the fact you are actually giddy about the festival and will probably end up seeing the first mentioned band but just wanted to appear tough and cool on an internet forum]

How's that? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif