Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting point that a couple of the naysayers have made that everyone 'defending' Beyonce has prefaced all their comments with 'I won't be watching her but....'

I know this forum is far from representative of Glastonbury but she's the first headliner since probably the 2005 lineup who I would 100% say I would never go and watch.

It's an interesting point that a couple of the naysayers have made that everyone 'defending' Beyonce has prefaced all their comments with 'I won't be watching her but....'

I know this forum is far from representative of Glastonbury but she's the first headliner since probably the 2005 lineup who I would 100% say I would never go and watch.

I think that says something about the forum rather than the artist.

It definitely does. Just about all of us here are very passionate about our music, and our music tastes are also generally away from the pop/RnB that Beyonce does.

But Glastonbury nowadays (if not in the past) attracts all types whose tastes are in all directions - including those who only ever listen to daytime radio 1. And the sales of Beyonce show that to the general population Beyonce is popular. And a big chunk of the audience is from 'the general population'.

Along with that, lots will watch simply because she is the headliner, or to see if she blows it.

Many of these same arguments happened around Jay-Z, with the huge majority here saying he wasn't right for the festival, etc, and the situation is no different with Beyonce. It's a different type of music, yes, but it's still a big (bigger?) seller, and if it sells that means people like it. Yes, even the people who have Glastonbury tickets.

If that's not you, fair enough, it's not me either. But she's of big enough statue to do it, and if it doesn't go great and she's deemed to have fallen flat somehow, it's worth remembering that bigger acts than her have failed to be a good headliner too.

It definitely does. Just about all of us here are very passionate about our music, and our music tastes are also generally away from the pop/RnB that Beyonce does.

But Glastonbury nowadays (if not in the past) attracts all types whose tastes are in all directions - including those who only ever listen to daytime radio 1. And the sales of Beyonce show that to the general population Beyonce is popular. And a big chunk of the audience is from 'the general population'.

Along with that, lots will watch simply because she is the headliner, or to see if she blows it.

Many of these same arguments happened around Jay-Z, with the huge majority here saying he wasn't right for the festival, etc, and the situation is no different with Beyonce. It's a different type of music, yes, but it's still a big (bigger?) seller, and if it sells that means people like it. Yes, even the people who have Glastonbury tickets.

If that's not you, fair enough, it's not me either. But she's of big enough statue to do it, and if it doesn't go great and she's deemed to have fallen flat somehow, it's worth remembering that bigger acts than her have failed to be a good headliner too.

Little bit off topic, (or on topic, I can never really tell on these boards) and it may have been pointed out somewhere on this 28-page thread

Just thinking back to the quote ME gave Q at last years fest

Didn't he say it'd be one returning headliner (Coldplay), one who'd never played before (U2), and one who's been before but not headlined (Beyonce), meaning ME was telling the truth that far back.

Just entertained me considering how many people said he always talks bullsh*t about the headliners :)

Back to arguing and moaning about the headliners now :P

Little bit off topic, (or on topic, I can never really tell on these boards) and it may have been pointed out somewhere on this 28-page thread

Didn't he say it'd be one returning headliner (Coldplay), one who'd never played before (U2), and one who's been before but not headlined (Beyonce), meaning ME was telling the truth that far back.

Just entertained me considering how many people said he always talks bullsh*t about the headliners :)

Beyonce - My girlfriend today informed me that she'd like to go to Glastonbury but still won't because of the noise, the drugs, and the dirt. Beyonce? 'Nuff said.

U2 - Near pensionable and have released nothing of any substance for 10 years. People like them and they are 'a big band', so fair enouugh I guess. Not my turd though.

Coldplay - Have released one song that was any good. Ever. Albeit in several reincarnations. A band in terminal decline for at least 5 years. Possibly justifiably headliners last time they played but definitely not now.

The line-up is poor. I'd rather they put on less mainstream bands. It'd not like Glastonbury need to have MOR acts to sell tickets, it's not V. In the end most people will go whatever the headliners are.

... but you will still be going to Glasto this year won't you? Exactly. The headliners are irrelevant. If you want 'big name' headliners then go to V where they pay for them. Saying that, the 3 headliners we do have are huge by whatever measure you use.

THe point is there are so may other stages, go and try a few out, go to the Bimble Inn, the Queens Head, Croissant Neuf, etc, etc. Go to see someone you have never heard of before. THere are some gems at every stage. How many people outside the BBC coverage realised Radiohead played the Park last year? Everywhere there is quality, everywhere there is something different. Personally I would be happy if the Biggles Wartime Band headlined every night.

Saying all that, if U2 do it right (cut out all of the peripheral nonsense, and play some old tunes the way they used to pre Rattle and Hum) , it could be the greatest GLasto moment ever.

I'm sure lots of folk will love bouncy.

Noods and I maybe or probably not..

I asked her a week ago if bouncy where on the Pyramid and Prodigy (I know they wont be) where on the other where would we go..

"Prodigy" was the reply.

Not bad from a 13 year old who likes dancy type music..

Coldplay and U2 seem to be generally agreed as solid headliners regardless of a few dissenters on here. The sunday headliner has to appeal to a slightly different crowd tho doesn't it?

Not sure how many locals are allowed in on the Sunday but assume this has something to do with the booking? Personally not too fussed will probably stay for a song or two ...