Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, while I do agree that the whole fuss about Jay Z was ridiculous, and that Beyonce deserves to be at the Festival, the author seems extremely ignorant on the other points she makes.

"but more than any other festival, Glastonbury has always been a white boy, rock watering-hole, where dinosaurs in designer denim go to comfort each other that they're still "relevant, maaan"."

That sentence alone suggests she's never been to any festival in her life, let alone Glastonbury (and certainly not Download, etc). Didn't 50 Cent get bottled off stage at Reading?

To be honest, while I do agree that the whole fuss about Jay Z was ridiculous, and that Beyonce deserves to be at the Festival, the author seems extremely ignorant on the other points she makes.

"but more than any other festival, Glastonbury has always been a white boy, rock watering-hole, where dinosaurs in designer denim go to comfort each other that they're still "relevant, maaan"."

That sentence alone suggests she's never been to any festival in her life, let alone Glastonbury (and certainly not Download, etc). Didn't 50 Cent get bottled off stage at Reading?

It's an awful article. Poorly researched, cheap jibes, says nothing. When she says she doubts Beyonce will have fond memories of Glastonbury... She clearly didn't even bother noticing Jay-Z and her loved it and that he got a great reception on the day. The people kicking up a fuss about him playing were people like her, writing in the media about music matters they didn't understand.

Any chance of The National ?

I know they played last year but they have released an album in the meantime which has rocketed them into the stratosphere. They still seem to have a gap in the tour calender and while they played last year I see they made comments remarking they were disappointed at not having a more evening slot.

Edited by Saul Goodman

Any chance of The National ?

I know they played last year but they have released an album in the meantime which has rocketed them into the stratosphere. They still seem to have a gap in the tour calender and while they played last year I see they made comments remarking they were disappointed at not having a more evening slot.

Excellent piece in today's Observer by Barbara Ellen on the whole Beyonce thing.

They'll be plenty of earnest young white men playing guitars all over the site if that's your thing. They'll also be jazz, folk, hip-hop, country, pop, dubstep, reggae (although not enough, natch), soul, bluegrass, drum & bass, punk and just about every other genre going, if you look hard enough. I am ambivalent to Coldplay, really dislike U2 but I'm not complaining about them being on the line up. There's over 900 acres of music and experience to explore if you don't think Beyonce is worthy of your, or the festival's, time.

Its not , its mainly about blaming on race and making again white people seem like racists cos they don't like what a black person does. I'd have the same problem with Britney or a number of other white pop stars playing. Lets cut the crap and say its cos people are passionate about the music they like not a race hate war.

Sorry yeah I mean the album has gone on to make them more household names and they are far bigger than when they played last year. Matt joking on stage last year.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-national--5/51695

"This what it looked like in our heads 10 years ago. In our brains," Berninger told the crowd. "It was a little darker and there were more girls in the front, but this is it."

The frontman also found time to joke about the band's gloomy reputation, and how they may have suited an evening slot.

"Ah look at that sunset, beautiful," he joked, pointing at the sun which was still blazing high in the sky. He added: "Make a wish."

The National could headline the Pyramid with aplomb - it's never going to happen this year and would only happen in future if their profile continues to rise with the next couple of albums. I can't see why they couldn't headline the Park. If they've already done the JP in 2008 then they could accommodate a large crowd at TP.

The National could headline the Pyramid with aplomb - it's never going to happen this year and would only happen in future if their profile continues to rise with the next couple of albums. I can't see why they couldn't headline the Park. If they've already done the JP in 2008 then they could accommodate a large crowd at TP.

Sorry yeah I mean the album has gone on to make them more household names and they are far bigger than when they played last year. Matt joking on stage last year.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-national--5/51695

"This what it looked like in our heads 10 years ago. In our brains," Berninger told the crowd. "It was a little darker and there were more girls in the front, but this is it."

The frontman also found time to joke about the band's gloomy reputation, and how they may have suited an evening slot.

"Ah look at that sunset, beautiful," he joked, pointing at the sun which was still blazing high in the sky. He added: "Make a wish."

That article was bobbins. Making out that race was any sort of issue is bizarre, making out that glastonbury is somehow racially seperationalist is also...well, mental. Clearly not a writer who ever spent an afternoon at the jazzworld stage (or ANY other stage for that matter)

Ah yeah, I remember that now. They seemed to be really enjoying it. If they want an evening slot, the only one realistically is headlining Other Stage and there's already plenty of rumours for that. I doubt they'll be there this year, unfortunately