Taking to the streets on March 26th - Cuts protest

Guest 5co77ie

I'm not sticking up for phil's belittling, but....

The thing is, you're working from the basis that you'll always be able to 'buy' yourself out of any bad situation - as your 'kindle' comment shows.

The whole point of this march is that those who are marching have realised there's no guarantee of you or anyone else being in the position to buy yourself out of the bad situations that will result from these cuts.

The cuts aren't just to services that you may or may not want for yourself or for your children, they are also cuts to people's jobs - and yours might be one of those.

Just because you might not work for the public services doesn't mean that you're safe, because there's a huge pyramid of jobs built on top of the money that is currently going into public services, and far more than just those where an easily identifiable direct relationship can be made from spending on public services to jobs that directly serve those public services.

It's all very well taking the simple view of things that you have expressed above, but the reality is that things are just not that simple and straightforwards. Lots of people took the same view at the start of the eighties and came to hugely regret it - and these cuts are going to have a much greater impact than the cuts back then did.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sticking up for phil's belittling, but....

The thing is, you're working from the basis that you'll always be able to 'buy' yourself out of any bad situation - as your 'kindle' comment shows.

The whole point of this march is that those who are marching have realised there's no guarantee of you or anyone else being in the position to buy yourself out of the bad situations that will result from these cuts.

The cuts aren't just to services that you may or may not want for yourself or for your children, they are also cuts to people's jobs - and yours might be one of those.

Just because you might not work for the public services doesn't mean that you're safe, because there's a huge pyramid of jobs built on top of the money that is currently going into public services, and far more than just those where an easily identifiable direct relationship can be made from spending on public services to jobs that directly serve those public services.

It's all very well taking the simple view of things that you have expressed above, but the reality is that things are just not that simple and straightforwards. Lots of people took the same view at the start of the eighties and came to hugely regret it - and these cuts are going to have a much greater impact than the cuts back then did.

Not sure what I was trying to 'claim credit for', I was just taking a break from doing work and felt like replying. You seem fairly intent on making a tit out of yourself by wishing unhappiness on me. I'm not wishing unhappiness on anyone, I'm merely stating that I'd rather get on with my life then get hung up on the possible lack of free reading or swimming for my future children (I'll just buy them a f**king Kindle and take them to the beach, which is much more fun than a swimming pool anyway, unless it has slides, but the cheap ones don't seem to) etc.

How wonderfully selfless you are for protesting on my behalf, you bitter, spiteful tosser.

Edited by feral chile

I'm not wishing unhappiness on you. I'm wishing something as 'mundane' as a 'budget cut' on you. That's how YOU described someone else's job, when YOU explained that you 'didnt give a f**k about something as mundane as budget cuts' because your NHS job in Wales was safe.

If you consider unemployment 'mundane' , how can I be wishing you unhappiness? Im just wishing you the mundane scenario that you lose your.job and experience what you think is mundane for a ling time. You don't give a f**k. You said so. That's why I wish it on you rather than one of your colleagues that does give a f**k and sees losing their job as devastating rather than mundane. How us that me making a tit of myself?

If I was going to vote I'd probably vote no, because I like the idea of the UK being 'one' in terms of laws and things. If that makes any sense. For instance I don't like tuition fees rules being different (favourable) for Welsh students. I just think the UK should be the UK, or not, one way or the other.

However I'm not going to vote no because a lot of my friends work at the WAG and would be angry at me, and yes I'm quite apathetic towards it!

As are most people in Wales, apparently. There's a very low turnout expected. I'm assuming this will mean that those in favour of more Assembly powers will be out in force. Just as those in favour of a Welsh Assembly in the first place voted it in, despite a low turnout overall.

Not sure how democratic this really is, when a minority get to influence something so important because of general apathy.

Yes indeed. I'm sure the 'yes' vote will win. It's not really the sort of thing you can feel that passionate about, in terms of the 'no' vote, I don't think. Whereas there are always those passionate (a minority?) who want more powers for Wales.

Edited by feral chile

I'm fortunate that my job seems to be immune from council cuts for now. If anything we're picking up more work from then towards the end of the financial year.

But something has to be done about all these cuts. We never caused the banks or the government to make an arse of it. Why should they sit there quite happy getting huge wages while the common man suffers. I've said it for years, their's far too much overheads in this country, Lords, Lairds, Landowners etc, and we have to pay them.

The commies said 120 years ago that if one country would turn it was ours, far too many fat cats here. And it needs to stop.

Edited by irons

Brighteyes works for the NHS and doesn't give a f**k because there are no compulsory redundancies in Wales and isn't going to get worked up about something as mundane as a budget cut. I wouldn't normally wish unemployment on anyone - I know.unemployment personally. But if you are enough of a c**t to describe someone else's livliehood as a mundane budget cut - I wish it on you. Brighteyes is happy to be ignorant, the words used in.first post. Aye well let the ignorant and selfish have the unemployment - might just teach them there is such a thing as society.

Be a c**t wishing hardship on people if you like. Next time it might be you. :rolleyes:

I prefer to try and educate them into thinking about things a little better. We only get to a better place by being better informed.

I've noticed that if you post an ill-advised comment, that will surely get you in to a hostile exchange with one of the more imperious members of the board, you can post a neutral comment during this exchange which perhaps agrees with some of the points of this imperious member and therefore ends the argument, technically counting as a 'loss' in the argument, if you're keeping count. You can then laugh as inevitably, absolutely inevitably, said member is addressed by another imperious member, and all attention on you and your ill-advised comment disappears in a testosterone-fuelled fuzz of sexy slagatron.

Love. It.

Well if its the better informed I'm looking for, I'll skip past the bloke who so needs to be right he makes stuff up that he's read. You see your role as educating? So when you said 2 days ago - and I quote directly - 'its not my job to educate you" what did you mean? That it was your job to educate people who know next to nothing on about a subject because as soon as you come up against people with some knowledge you're f**ked? It's your ignorance that stops people posting on here and why we all laugh at you on Facebook. Now they are facts. Consider yourself educated. Now let's cover that wishing ill on people shall we? Do you want to start with your record on cancer or your quote 'f**k off and die' ?

I say what I think. I'm more than happy for people to comment on what I think.

You say what you think. It seems pretty clear that you're not too happy for people to comment on what you think, particularly as you seem to need to do it away from any chance of criticism.

You also post completely made up crap that come from nowhere but your own head. My "record on cancer"? WTF is that meant to mean? I've wished nothing on nobody, and anything you believe to the contrary is down to your own poor reading and/or understanding of what I did actually say - the "if" that sentence started with shows that what I said was conditional.

Edited by eFestivals

• 4 weeks later...

Myself and a group from Yorkshire are going to London for the Protest. We have also intigrated this with another very good way to protest against these cuts. This is to hit the Government where it hurts & make them listen.

If all the people protesting withdrew all their funds from their banks/savings accounts for 10 days (or the preferred long term) this government would have to listen to us all. They wouldn't expect this action along with the protest but the effects of a mass withdrawl will have a better & greater impact. They have always said that money talks. Please join us in doing the same.

All the best

Mikki

The number of jobless people in the UK has hit 2.53 million - the highest figure for 17 years, and that's without all those no longer recorded as unemployed thanks to the goalposts being moved, with another 170,000 at least in the cuts proper, not including the knock on of losing all those people. That means we can look forward to nearly 10% of the working population of the UK out of a job.

The latest news has been that Midsomer Murders is unrealistic due to it's cast demographic, it'll soon also be unrealistic in that it has a library and a post office.

The number of jobless people in the UK has hit 2.53 million - the highest figure for 17 years, and that's without all those no longer recorded as unemployed thanks to the goalposts being moved, with another 170,000 at least in the cuts proper, not including the knock on of losing all those people. That means we can look forward to nearly 10% of the working population of the UK out of a job.

what you've missed out in the differences between now and 17 years ago is that nowadays there's no 16 and 17 year-olds included in the figures, plus a greater proportion of people are now in education from the ages 16 to 21.

So if those were factored in, I'd guess this is the worst unemployment since the 1930s.

The latest news has been that Midsomer Murders is unrealistic due to it's cast demographic, it'll soon also be unrealistic in that it has a library and a post office.

:lol::lol:

I think we've been over worrying about this and all that's happening is that we're living in a new episode of Life On Mars. A new tory government, cuts and privatisation rife, unemployment rising and now a war to divert attention from massive unpopularity. If I dont wake up in the morning aged 16, there's going to be a right ruck

Anyone going to "the official after party" in the New Red Lion, City Road, Islington

Dan le Sac vs Scrobius Pip

Josie Long

Rod Laver

Frances O'Grady

Zoe Williams

Maurice Glassman

Jessica Riches

Heather Wakefield

http://www.philosophyfootball.com/view_item.php?pid=638

I've just managed to secure tickets.

Edited by 5co77ie